View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 99 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

The install went great. I love the ease of use. I only learned Windows starting about 8 yrs ago. Didn't even know how to turn a computer on when I started. About November last year I stumbled across a Live CD of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS at a Thrift Store. I Payed a whole $0.05 for it. Had a spare HD so I swaped them out & installed Ubuntu. I had to buy a book to get it right but it was worth it. I loved 6.06 and I'am wild about Gutsy Gibson. I learned more in 6 months of playing around with Ubuntu than the 7.5 yrs with windows. The only thing I need that Ubuntu doesn't have is program for Hwy and Street Mapping of North America. If it had that it'd be wornderfull. Keep up the great work folks. - Bill may not know it yet but I just broke my Windows addiction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have only one error that keeps coming up

Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/feisty/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/fe...tion-en_US.bz2 Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/fe...86/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'

I've Uninstalled and reinstalled and uninstalled wine with automatix, synaptics and whatever else i could find but the same message appears every time I try to upgrade to 7.10. I don't even have win installed when I get this message how do I get around this ? The Web link is definitely dead.

Well I found an easy fix for the whole thing - go to system/administration/software sources/ and got to the 3rd party tab and uncheck the one source that is giving you trouble. It's like this most of the time i.e. when something doesn't work it's because I'm doing something WRONG !!!
    Last edited by Count Doofus; November 12th, 2007 at 04:13 AM. Reason: found fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have been quite disappointed at the number of problems i have experienced trying to install 7.10 on this PC. Only had 1 problem with 7.04 64-bit and, once I found out i needed to disabled apic and acip on the liveCD, everything worked just great. Installed ati drivers and a few other bits and pieces and everything seemed just great.

When 7.1 came out i opted for clean install, hadn't much on the existing install. This has been nothing but problems. Firstly i had to disable my non existent fdd in the bios, which never troubled any other liveCD i have used, including 7.04!
    Once i got that sorted I managed to install 7.10 x86 with no problems. On reboot i updated the system then activated the ATI drivers, the following reboot took 30 minutes and nothing worked. Tried installing again. Same problem.

Gave up and tried the 64 bit version, which i had originally intended to use. Strangely when i select manual selection of the partitions in the install program it will not just let me delete and create the existing partition as it gives the error that the partition is not selected for format so cannot be used. Had to delete both my existing root partition and the swap then recreate them again before it let me continue. This was not a problem with either 7.04 64bit or 7.10 x86. Once i finish my install and the system reboots i get a grub error 22!

I have been using computers for some 16 years, mostly using ms bases OSs from MS-dos 2.1 through to vista. I have, however used linux before starting with Debian 1.something or other so am not a complete n00b.

It really shouldn't be this hard these days to get a basic system up and running. Am quite frustrated that 7.10 is causing so many basic problems that 7.04 didn't seem to have. My system is not really exotic. Intel duo core2 6300, 4gb ram, 4 sata hdds, ati 1950pro and abit AW9D-MAX motherboard.

i'm off to the search feature to sort out this 22 error. with a slim hope that i will be able to get my ati driver working once i have fixed that. To be honest if it takes longer than a few hours i will probably just wipe the thing off till the next release or even longer.
    g

update:
    external hdd was confusing the installer so a quick reinstall without it worked fine. Managed to install the ati drivers using the restricted driver manager and reboot in normal time. Runs a little on the sluggish side though but at least it runs.
    Last edited by njgriffin; November 11th, 2007 at 01:28 AM. Reason: update on install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Installation was easy.

Wireless card is a headache I had it working in Edgy.
    It's just not worth the hassle. Between the kernel & xserver updates taking it out.
    Same thing with the nvidia driver from nvidia.

I'm just using it with the propritary nvidia driver, which is limited in
    features.

Features such as the Add & Remove Programs I love.
    Simplified install & removal.
    Request that Blender, the 3D graphic app. be updated more regularly.
    If possible as the versions change more often than ubuntu.
    Kubuntu is kool too.
    Last edited by airxart; November 11th, 2007 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here are my few notes about Feisty to Gutsy upgrade:

In summary

- upgrade: crashed dpkg with core dumped
    - video small problems
    - sound problems
    - wireless problems
    - suspend/hibernate problems

Expecting more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very disappointing experience after seeing constant and substantial improvements from Breezy, where I started, through Feisty. I did get a more or less working install but things moved sssssooooo ssssssllllloooowwwwlllllly (more than ten minutes from start of boot to responsive desktop where Feisty covers the same ground in less than a minute) that even if I could have figured out how to solve problems, it would have taken forever to implement.

Gutsy strikes me in the same way as Vista - way too bloated and focused on pretty rather than functional. I have 8 or 9 Ubuntu installs on various computers - mostly Feisty, a couple of Dappers and at least one Breezy still hanging around. I will not try Gutsy again and will review other's experiences extensively with subsequent releases before I consider even test driving them.

Disappointed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've had gutsy for about a week now on my desktop so i'll post a couple of comments

I decided to do a clean install on a separate partition(i have XP & feisty)

Gutsy seems more responsive, slightly more polished then feisty BUT you still see the 'human' background color right after the login screen even if you've changed the color in the login options. It stutters after you enter credentials and login and you see the color for a couple of seconds(it is definitely not polished - boot up doesn't flow)

The mouse icon(well.... i am tired of the default mouse icon looks very dated

So in short the only problems so far are: when you double click whilst playing a video clip in Totem(in order to go full screen) the monitor(CRT) restarts and Gutsy switches the refresh to the lowest possible 50hertz. In Mplayer when you select View/Fullscreen from the menu NO problem at all.

Also the screen flickers when i'm viewing a picture in Image viewer at full screen.

Sound worked out of the box as well as Hibernate + CompizFusion

Gutsy 32 on AMD Athlon64 3700+(s754)
    DFI LanParty nf3 250g
    Gigabyte nvidia 6600GT(agp)
    Seagate barracuda 200sata
    Last edited by NotTheMessiah; November 11th, 2007 at 03:23 AM.
    Signatures are overrated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I voted flawlessly. The only issue I came across was i had to disable some feisty repositories or it threw errors at me and stopped the upgrade process. The repositories in question were extra ones I had added rather than the default ones.
    Can you help me fix my computer? Is it Windows?
    Yes.
    I'm sorry. You bought it broken, I can't help you.

Linux User #452901 Ubuntu User #16988

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Upgrade 7.04 (32-bit) -> 7.10 (32-bit): successful, no issues
    Upgrade 7.04 (64-bit) -> 7.10 (64-bit): successful, minor issue with gnome applets - solved**
    Upgrade 7.10 (beta; 64-bit) -> 7.10 (64-bit): successful, no issues
    Install 7.10 (32-bit): successful, no issues
    Install 7.10 (64-bit): successful, no issues
    Install 7.10 (server 64-bit): successful, no issues

** just needed a quick sudo apt-get install --reinstall on the applets package, and all was well (it was probably my fault that it broke anyway)

gutsy -> awesome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgraded perfectly on my machine , (64 Bit)
    AMD 64 3700 +
    ECS Nforce4 A939
    Nvidia 7600gt Pci Express
    2GB DDR400
    2 X 120GB HDD
    SoundBlaster Live soundcard
    22" Belinea widescreen TFT (needed little configuring to get resolution correct)

Also installed on wifes Laptop (32 Bit) , ( she loves ubuntu )
    Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E6355
    Intel ®Celeron 700MHz
    ATI Mobilty-M4 (needed little tweaking)
    376mb ram
    Only problem with laptop is I have no boot
    screen....just stays black until loaded. (SOLVED NOW)

Wireless worked without flaws too...just "plug'n'play"
    Last edited by shane4stef; November 11th, 2007 at 08:59 AM.

Page 99 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast