View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 93 of 176 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I installed gutsy on my Lenovo laptop, about three days after it was released. Everything went well until the end when it is supposed to install Grub. Nothing happened, I waited a few minutes but it just stopped. In case I had missed something i ran the install again but again it stopped instead of installing Grub. There is a spare partition on the harddrive so I installed Mint Linux onto that and used that as a bootloader.
    Other than that and the need to install drivers for the wireless card everything is working well.

legin90

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My only problems:
    - My USB mouse stopped working after upgrade on one of my USB ports (it works fine on others)...
    - I used NVIDIA driver from nvidia.com and I had nv turned off in some configuration file. From Gutsy turning off nv also turnes off nvidia kernel module, so I had some problems until I figured it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

For me the upgrade worked best. So I voted 'Upgrade - worked flawlessly'.

But when I do a fresh install I have nothing but trouble with my Nvidia configuration/drivers or what ever it is...
    I work with dual-screen and worked just fine in Feisty. Even after an upgrade to Gutsy.
    But a fresh install will not even recognize my screens. When I installed the latest (or beta) drivers from Nvidia it just messes up. I can't figure out what is the problem.

There is only one problem in both the upgrade and fresh install. See the next thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+gutsy+problem

My Hardware:
    Asus P5LD2-V
    PNY GeForce 7800 GT 256 Mb DDR3
    2 Gb of RAM

Edit:
    Looks like I had more troubles than I thought. So after all it was not Flawlessly.

My first problem was as described above. Second I had troubles with my sound system and third I couldn't attach and use an USB external hard drive.

But I solved all my problems and found them in the next threads:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=603222
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+gutsy+problem
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

I'm very glad it works. I works like a charm and with the eye candy Compiz Fusion it's fun the work with!!

iGeorgie
    Last edited by iGeorgie; November 7th, 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

After downloading some updates this morning I am pleased to discover that DHCP and network printing are working on my laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!

I didn't have any problems, but I didn't want to put "flawless" since there was some tinkering to get everything working, and I've still got some tiny issues.

Frankly the setup was even less work than the generally idiot-proof Windows installation. Hit yes a few times, went to the bathroom, suddenly it's installed. Wireless was up, I hopped on here, and now I'm hammering out the last few remnants of problems.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I reinstalled Gutsy on my old laptop without a glitch. Everything that worked in Feisty worked in Gutsy. But that machine died and I bought a new one. Now I don't have sound and wireless is a little flakey - when I fool around trying to get sound I lose wireless. I think I'll take the sound card out of my old machine and put it in this one.

Anyway, no complaints about Gutsy. Seems good.

Beans

Tried upgrading on my T40 Laptop. Upgrade went through, but after reboot when I tried to login, it said "Cant launch Gnome.. switching to ..." something I forgot. Essentially, It couldnt get past GDM into GNOME. So I installed Gutsy over it after formatting the partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I installed feisty fawn on this old computer when my other one broke. The install to gutsy gibbon came out shortly after so I let it get on with it and I've been using it since then. I haven't a clue what I'm doing but it seems to work, I can play sudoku and read the news so what more could I want .

Beans

I upgraded from 7.04 to the new one and I had some problems. I have no 3D acceleration on my laptop (ATI 9700) and the network speed is very very slow, when I copy a large file from my xp computer to my ubuntu laptop then I get a maximum speed of 380 kilobyte/s.

Beans

Wink Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I did an upgrade from feisty using the upgrade manager... took about 6hrs (this was mainly for fetching the changes - didn't seem to want to use my local mirror for some reason). On my dell xps laptop.

Upgrade is fairly painless... other than a few wee things:
    * New fancy graphics were a bit shaky. Problems like windows going completely blank. I think this is because my driver for my nvidia geforce 7 series card is old, so have updated that. So far so good.
    * Lost some latex packages and had to reinstall them... but i think thats pretty normal in any upgrade, right?
    * Seems to be a little bit slower than feisty... doing basic things like opening files.

Otherwise all looking pretty cool!
    Thanks ubuntu!

Page 93 of 176 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast