View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 91 of 176 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Install

Wish I could say flawless.. but I cant.

1. during actual instillation it gave me a message about not being able to unmount something for the migration server? I ignored this and continued. [no bad effects]

2. Compiz - fusion does not work on my ATI 9800 with restricted drivers. ATI driver install needs work.

3. IPV6 is killing my network speed.
    I need to figure out which file to modify to disable ipv6. [any advice would be great!]

4. Gcc java doesn't work near as well as sun java.. there probably should be notice about that someplace. It was really fun trying to fix that.

Beans

First hard disk: Installed Ubuntu 7.10 on top of Debian 4.0.
    Later I installed 7.04 on Debian and then 7.10 again.
    Second hard disk: Win2K.
    Hardware report from Belarc (in case it helps):
    http://savage.net.au/debian.ubuntu/w...rc.report.html

Problems:
    (1) On the install screen 'Prepare disk space' I selected Use whole disk.
    Note: The first option contained the string (0, 0, 0).
    On the next screen, much to my astonishment, the program had split that string
    at the commas and used the 3 fields to label radio buttons, as well as displaying
    the 2nd and 3rd options from the previous screen. I went and borrowed a digital
    camera and reinstalled, but could not replicate this issue.

(2) The fact that the boot-from-cd does not put the Ubuntu lifebuoy icon on the
    upper panel means beginners have to reconfigure the panel in order to get access
    to the Install selection. This is user-hostile interface design.

(3) Various problems with desktop background and windows:
    Later I installed 7.04 on Debian and then 7.10 again.
    Second hard disk: Win2K.
    Hardware report from Belarc (in case it helps):
    http://savage.net.au/debian.ubuntu/w...rc.report.html

Problems:
    (1) On the install screen 'Prepare disk space' I selected Use whole disk.
    Note: The first option contained the string (0, 0, 0).
    On the next screen, much to my astonishment, the program had split that string
    at the commas and used the 3 fields to label radio buttons, as well as displaying
    the 2nd and 3rd options from the previous screen. I went and borrowed a digital
    camera and reinstalled, but could not replicate this issue.

(2) The fact that the boot-from-cd does not put the Ubuntu lifebuoy icon on the
    upper panel means beginners have to reconfigure the panel in order to get access
    to the Install selection. This is user-hostile interface design.

(3) Various problems with desktop background and windows:
    (a) I changed the bkg to space (IIRC) and elephant and then none several times, and a couple of minutes later it automatically reverted from none to elephant.
    (b) When mouse reaches edge of screen it vanishes. Under 7.04 it stops at the edge.
    (c) When I navigated to /usr/share/backgrounds and clicked on image files,
    it would take 10-15 seconds to display. Under 7.04 display was immediate.
    (d) Windows opened (eg Terminal, Firefox) are semi-transparent,
    even after turning off effects. Since the variable black patches in the bkg
    show thru, this is another user-hostile interface design (because it hard to read).
    (e) Every window opened is 70% off the left off the screen, and black. Why?
    They must be dragged to make them white and readable.
    Maximizing them makes them black again.
    (f) When a window's title bar is clicked to bring it to the front, it takes
    almost a second to do that. I compiled Apache and mod_perl, and each
    file's compile was quick, so I'd say it an interface problem.
    Many things about 7.10 are s-l-o-w, to the point of being unusable.
    7.04 is responsive, as is Debian 4.0.

(3) As others have noted, listing IDE drives under SCSI is just plain wrong.
    7.04 does that too.

(4) Rebooting. It would be good for the reboot selection, when clicked,
    to display a note as to the sequence of events which will follow.
    I found that part very confusing.
    After clicking reboot, I got a blank screen for about 1/2 sec, and then
    a large window headed 'Welcome to Ubuntu' which vanished after
    another 1/2 second. So there are 2 problems:
    (a) Why display that screen at that particular stage
    (b) Why display it for such a short length of time

End result: As an example of Open Source code, I find this all a bit
    embarrassing. I realize many people might not have these problems,
    but for an operating system to have been around for so long, to
    still be unusable for the absolute beginner, in some cases, is
    heart-breaking.

For the record, my open source code is here:
    http://savage.net.au/index.html

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I stuck the ubuntu server 7.10 CD into the drive and rebooted the pc.

It shows the splash screen with the options to install etc.

The keyboard is locked completely and I can do nothing.

I took out the CD, and stuck in the 7.04 server CD, and booted again, hitting enter on "install" (first option) works and I am now at the point where it's installed and upgrading to 7.10.

---- Hardware :
    Dell Dimension 9200
    ATI rv516
    2 160gb ata disks
    dvd writer
    intel dual core @2.4GHz
    4 GB ram
    Last edited by dom; November 5th, 2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: include hardware details
    --
    rgds,
    dóm

Beans

Well, this is my first Ubuntu box that I've ever had for my own personal use. I helped two friends of mine do data recoveries from corrupted Winblows installs and moved them to Breezy (one fell back to the dark side), but I've always been an OS X person myself, mainly because I love Apple's laptop engineering.

Sadly, about a week ago my Powerbook sputtered out and died. Replacing the battery and power I/O port didn't do anything, so I'm fairly sure it's the logic board that's dead. Rather than buy an $800 part for a 3 year old computer, I went ahead and ordered up some parts on Newegg for $500 for a capable desktop, while I save up money for a new MBP.

Parts list:

Case: Rosewill R5604-TBK
    Power: Logisys PS575XBK
    CPU: Intel E4500 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
    Video: Asus EN8500GT
    RAM: A-Data 2x1 GB DDR2 800
    Optical: Philips 20x DVD+/-R
    Storage: Excelstor 160 GB SATA

<3my hardware, the only thing that bugs me is that the Rosewill case has a front Firewire connector, but the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't have onboard IEE1394.

<skip boring assembly and parts testing>

The Gutsy install was really cool, mainly because it happened in the background and I could use Firefox off the live CD while I waited for the files to copy. Hardware detection was painlessly automatic and the system booted up fine.

I was aware about the need for non-free codecs to do a lot of the multimedia stuff, as well as the need for the “binary blob” NVIDIA drivers to access the 3D hardware acceleration of my graphics card. I installed them as a stopgap while we wait for Nouveau to catch up. Compiz is very nice, and I appreciate a lot of the desktop quick-switching shortcuts.

Finding application equivalents for things I use on OS X was really easy, mainly because I was already using a lot of Free software anyway. Transmission, GAI...Pidgin, Firefox (though I do prefer Camino) and OOO were all easy to pull out of Synaptic. I do miss Quicksilver (though I'd say Gnome Deskbar is about 45% of the way there) and Rapscallion, though.

Wine improves every time I try out a new version. Full Tilt Poker's win32 client works fine except for some of the redrawing of dealt cards.

There's one final issue I need to deal with. My front audio headphones have a ground loop buzz in them, and I think it's because the motherboard is set to HD Audio while the front panel on the case is AC'97. In the motherboard manual the utility to switch the header to AC'97 is Windows-based. I haven't tried it in Wine yet, but I'm hoping it will fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Flawless upgrade. Everything working (I guess the few minor problems I had in 7.04 are still there).
    Did mean to do it from CD but downloaded the normal ISO then read the bit saying you need the alternate ISO so clicked the button in update manager.
    Great job. Never had an OS upgrade work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy was flawless via the upgrade GUI (web).

However, Gutsy has a kernel panic when suspending, or hibernating. This is a major disappointment! I don't have time to fix this - this is something that should have been beta tested before final release. But, it could be because I'm using a seven year old Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with an nVIDIA GeForceGo2 card?

In any case, I've wiped off Gutsy and re-installed Feisty (suspend works [mostly]; hibernate never has, even in WindowsXP), as I need a stable laptop machine for work.

I REALLY wish Ubuntu would spend their time FIXING SUSPEND AND HIBERNATE ON LAPTOPS rather than desktop effects (compiz & beryl) and other bells and whistles. Not having reliable suspend or hibernate has got to be one of the biggest disappointments of the GNU/Linux OS. The bells and whistles are meaningless if the core of the OS has flaws.

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DrFunn View Post
    I am attracted to Ubuntu for doing professional audio recording and mastering.
    Perhaps you should consider a professional Linux audio package?

Places to try:

Studio To Go 2 (http://www.studio-to-go.com) Cost: £79.99GBP

Ubuntu Studio; Agnula; 64 Studio: Cost: free

I am sorry if sounds ungracious, but I really just want to record and start making music, not burning a dozen hours trying out many different ideas on the forums just to get a relatively common audio chipset working for JACK!
    Let's face it, you paid SQUAT for Ubuntu!

Beans

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 with the 256MB GeoForce 7900 video. Here's where I'm at:

First -- Ubuntu 7.10 has installed fine with no noticed issues. The installation landed me with a working system, wireless, my front panel audio buttons working. Out of the box the install was quite impressive for a non-commercial product. Updates installed fine so far.

Second -- getting running. Now that I have a machine running Ubuntu I need to get ready to actually work. Firefox is good, can't find Konqueror for Gnome but can look at that later. Setting up the look and feel, changing some preferences, getting the extra mouse buttons working in FF etc. So far most of that has been fine except:
    ISSUES
    -- SD Card Reader (Ricoh based I think)... either doesn't work or I can't figure out how to get it working. I've played with information on the forums to no avail so far.
    -- on-board modem (win?) -- I have not found out if this is supported and works.
    -- Fax -- as per modem issue, I tried setting up some fax software with no dice.
    -- FF -- installing the flash plugin took a few tries. Mostly a poor download speed issue from the software site I think.
    -- touchpad -- should have a config area to allow auto-disable when a USB mouse is attached. Should also, by default, allow for the syndaemon delay setup to be enabled.
    -- hibernation -- doesn't work. Returns to login
    -- sleep mode -- doesn't work. Returns to login
    -- screen savers -- work but seem to heat up the machine rather than relax it.
    -- dim screen when idle -- something is wonky with this setting. It waits random amounts of time before going dark, sometimes just a second or two. When I tried using Open Arena this idle setting kicked in during active play.

Third - Networking. I have a samba server setup locally for sharing with the XP machines. Working with Ubuntu to travel across shares seems a little hit & miss. Open Office and "text editor" seem to be able to handle opening files from served locations fine. Other software bonks... I have to copy files locally before editing in Gimp etc.
    -- Network browsing... works sometimes doesn't others. Confirmed working fine in XP.
    -- network printing... works but is unusually slow. A 1 page document usually prints on my samsung laser (network attached and shared via an XP machine) in 10-20 seconds. I waited over 10 minutes today for one page to print.
    -- in XP it was a piece of cake to add a network "drive" to the machine. I'm not having any luck with this (perhaps just inexperience).
    -- software such as "Gimp" doesn't allow to browse network locations to open files
    -- couldn't seem to find any network shares when on wireless -- wired connections worked fine. Didn't have this problem on same PC using XP.

Little Things:
    -- Gnome is working well, but I find it a little clunky at getting the toolbars to look and work like XP toolbars. I realize it's different than windows, but I am hoping for the day I can convert other Windows users to Linux.
    ++ Not sure what all the fuss is about root access. I set it up and use it fine where needed.
    -- the administration and preferences panels are lacking some abilities and features one would expect.
    -- Subwoofer -- there's a "sub" on this notebook... I can't seem to find any way to control this feature.

Summary -- I would say Ubuntu is the most impressive Linux distro I've seen when it comes to M$ competition. It has a great out-of-the-box look, it basically works, and it has a decent interface to much of the system controls and available software. It lacks the ability, inherent to Linux, to complete the user experience by having all hardware found and working as one would prefer. The lack of commercial grade software is frustrating, as even many of us whom are hoping to let go of M$ and move to Linux are willing to pay for software that makes it easy for us to do so, but the option just isn't there.

Software really is what's preventing a complete move. I use many products that have no Linux support for Audio recording and Video editing (Cubase, MediaStudio Pro). Skype 1.4 for Linux works well thankfully, but the lack of features is disappointing.

As for my use, I will "try" to stick to Ubuntu as my main OS for working. So long as I continue using a notebook, I suspect I'll end up booting back to XP to do many of the tasks that I just can't do on Linux yet, and of course to run games.

Ubuntu is a very slick product, a huge step in the right direction. Maybe if something like Ubuntu keeps flying big software companies will take notice and start working on Linux versions.... here's hoping.

Oh, and my #1 reason for NOT wanting to use M$ isn't that I want something for free. I just want to have a right to upgrade my system regularly without buying new licenses.

Beans

Fresh install from scratch:

The good bits.

When visable the default desktop looks better then 7.04. More profesional looking live cd start menu.

The not so good bits.
    *Native screen resolution too high.
    *Significant downloading with little or no info given. This type of goings on is what we expect from M$ not ubuntu.

First off worked OK up to the point where the desktop was loaded. The monitor was out of horizontal sync so I grabbed another one that can handle the overly high native screen resolution.

The install went OK but it spent a long time doing "Scaning mirror" with a lot of network activity going on. More info is good and anything network more than a few k should ask permision with a realistic estimate of forth comeing download size.

Screen resolution could not be changed from the live CD.

Once installed screen resolution could be changed however this dosn't apply to the log in screen thats still out of sync.

After installing updates and being left for some hours the system locked up excepting mouse pointer movement. alt crtl backspace wouldn't restart it. A hard reset was needed.

After rebooting and blindly entering user name and password on an out of sync screen I was logged in OK. The network then started transfiring data of the who knows what to who knows where kind. This went on for about 3 minutes. Once again more info please and seek permision.

For the time being I think I'll be back to dapper and fiesty
    Last edited by antmenj; November 5th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.

Beans

I vote "flawlessly" but I have again a problem with the headphone which doesn't shut the speakers of my Toshiba A200. I solved it previously in Feisty and it doesn't work anymore.However, the upgrade went more smoothly than the one with Feisty Fawn and nearly all works except the previous problem and the hibernation ... Thank you

Page 91 of 176 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast