View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 87 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Red face Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have the live CD Ubuntu 7.10. When I tried to boot it, it stopped and said that my screen and graphics card were not detected( The Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode). I had no problem with Feisty in my experience.

So , I tried to upgrade and it succeed. But, I cannot enable desktop effect.
    The warning sign was like this:

Could not launch menu item
    Failed to execute child process "desktop-effects" (No such file or directory)
    So, I think Ubuntu 7.04 is more robust and stable than Gutsy. I faced two problems at first to experience Gutsy. I will always wait for another version Ubuntu.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

After installing 7.10 on my laptop, I decided to install Ubuntu on an extra harddisk of my desktop computer. The installation itself went smoothly, however during the first boot I encountered a huge problem that I have not been able to resolve. This is the text displayed on the first terminal:
    Starting up ...
    Loading, please wait ...
    check root = bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
    or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-etc.
    does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

From the ubuntuforum I understand that the kernel can't find the root disk (which is btw the same disk where /boot and thus the kernel is installed on). I've tried editing the boot params (root=/dev/hda1, stuff like that), but nothing worked. Any suggestion would be appreciated. My desktop computer has one DVD on the first IDE port, the linux hd on the second IDE port and a SATA hd (Windows) on the first SATA port. It's been a long time since I have encountered a problem, so basic as this, on Linux ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I did finally get Gutsy onto my system after a full install -- the upgrade was creating all sorts of problems. But I'm going to reload Feisty today, thanks to a series of problems, the main one being that Gutsy takes 2-3 minutes to boot as opposed to 20 seconds on Feisty.

Beans

Have't been able to upgrade. I am getting the following error during the process:

Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/feisty/Release.gpg No pude resolver 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/fe...slation-es.bz2 No pude resolver 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/fe...86/Packages.gz No pude resolver 'wine.lowvoice.nl'

*I removed Wine completely to avoid updating/installing it and I continue to get the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well guess it's my time. My upgrade went fairly well actually. Downloaded and burned the ISO started ubuntu and installed it everything went perfect. Until I needed to get my wireless linksys driver installed. WUSB54GC ralink rt73 chipset.
    Thats the only issue I've had at all with ubuntu. And frankly im quite impressed with how well it runs and its moving more and more into the common user interface...which also means more linux fanss yayy
    But Im still trying to get my usb adapter installed to work correctly
    it's not a huuge deal but I kinda want to move my big *** desktop back over into my office instead of in the hall so I can plug into a lan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The upgrade on my older computer went flawlessly. I used the option from the Update Manager. It was a large download though.

It even fixed a problem I had with NetBeans. Before the update I loaded it from the terminal with a script, now it works from the main menu.

I'll probably give it a shot on the main computer soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Finally after another 8 hours got things working!!!

previously after Gutsy install, I had no internet connection etc etc.

I have resolved the problem but not sure why! could someone explain it to me please!

I flushed the Firewall protection #iptables -F

the i/net worked immediately and was able to proceed with updates and to use firefox.

Question is WHY? this PC is one of 5 on home ethernet; no problems previously accessing internet etc. Other 4 XP machines work fine as always..

Question is what does the command actually do; is it 'internal' to this Ubuntu m/c or have I changed the router protection?

Any suggestions or advice most gratefully received - at last I am back 'on air'!!!! jeffjohn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Without repeating myself too much (i.e. look here for a longer story: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600618)

Hardware:
    Fresh install of 7.10 on second hard disk in notebook (dual-boot with XP) went pretty much okay (also tested with Live CD before that). Some minor issues were easily resolved by searching in this great forum. One outstanding issue is the non-working microphone (neither built-in, line-in headset or usb headset is working yet), but it is not a critical issue for me. Sound is a bit tricky, particularly when changing the speakers (e.g. from built-in to headset to usb), but manageable.

Software:
    I never got F-Spot working (database problems of some sort according to command), so I decided to try digikam (even though I use GNOME) since it also has RAW support, but had not yet the time to really test it. WINE has been a mixed experience, therefore I currently use XP in a Virtualbox for those programs that require it.

That's it so far for the first two weeks of using Ubuntu. I'm happy.
    I Ubuntu, therefore I am
    (Started climbing the Ubuntu learning curve on October 18th 2007)

Beans

I've just added the KDE desktop environment and apps from Kubuntu 7.10 to my 64-bit Ubuntu installation and AGAIN a flawless installation.

K/Ubuntu 7.10 is working wonderfully for me and proving to be as exciting as my very first install of Ubuntu 7.04. A HUGE improvement for me. Everything now works, sound, graphics, compiz... It couldn't get any better -- but I know in my heart it WILL

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_Beef View Post
    I don't think that the root account is "disabled", as you state.

I also noticed that I was not prompted during installation for a root password (see my earlier post in this thread).
    Beef.
    My first experience of Unix was SCO Unix/Xenix where there is no "sudo" only the superuser "root" -- that is the "Unix" way of things. When I first installed Ubuntu I immediately tried to sign in as root but was denied. I assumed that I had somehow forgotten/damaged the password during installation and so I fixed the situation with this simple trick that I'm still using (I cannot stand the silly "sudo" thing):

1) Reboot the machine and start Ubuntu in "recovery mode" -- you go straight into the "root" account (always denoted by the "#" prompt)
    2) Assign root a new password (can be the same as your own password) with the command "passwd"
    3) restart the machine (press CTRL-D to log out)

You can now sign in at the console as "root" or use the "su" command to start a root shell at any console.

Just remember NEVER sign in as "root" to do normal stuff. Only use the root account for system administration work. There is a VERY GOOD REASON why Ubuntu restricted the root account in this way and it is simply to protect you from your own ignorance!!

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I upgraded using the recommended method from the most recent and up-to-date previous version. However, ever since, I am getting the following error whenever I attempt any package updates. Also, it keeps asking for reboots and going round in circles.

Is there an easy way to fix it, preferably one which does not involve another day upgrading everything and messing things up?

E: linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    E: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: linux-image-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: linux-restricted-modules-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: linux-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: linux-restricted-modules: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Page 87 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast