View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 84 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Went pretty smooth for me, got some minor issues I can work round until they get fixed properly, the only let down is bluetooth not working any more but I won't get hung up about it because I shall be doing it all again in 6 months time

Mick

Beans

Samsung P35 Laptop Computer with Feisty (working nicely); experienced problem with screen brightness (oscillating) when booted with Gutsy LiveCD. Many other users report this problem from Gutsy installation and upgrade as well. See here for reference (German forum): http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/122889/
    Up to now, no solution is known to me or the community above. Help greatly appreciated. I don't even know the keywords most suitable for a forum search e.g. here.
    Greetings froim Germany...

Beans

Perhaps all those unhappy folks who have had bad Gutsy upgrade experiences should take a look at Fedora 7. It has loads of great features, is very stable and comes on a DVD packed with goodies. It also has Gnome, KDE and many other desktop choices.

Just a thought

Beans

I first tried it with discs, but they're just crap, the computer had random shutdowns, then I tried to install Edgy and then do an upgrade, worked fine only 4 packages couldn't be nicely build so I looked up help on the internet. Now everything's working fine except when it looks like's it's doing a big query in aptitude or something it still has random shutdowns

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This was my second ever Ubuntu/Linux installation. I installed Feisty a few weeks ago on an old desktop PC to get a bit of experience before taking the plunge and setting up a dual-boot system on my main Desktop machine using an old IDE drive exclusively for Linux leaving my Windows boot drive and NTFS data drive intact. For that I used Gutsy within a few days of release.

The Good (in no particular order)

* Ubuntu website and download of Gutsy
    * These forums
    * Installation went very smoothly once I was able to boot from a live CD
    * I used the "manual" partitioning method as I have a fairly complex 3 disk, 5 partition setup
    * I was able to see the other two Windows systems on my network and their shares immediately with no config issues
    * I was able to read/write to the NTFS partitions on my other drives immediately with no config issues
    * Installation of extra software with Synaptic works like a dream (so far!)
    * GNOME
    * System Stability and performance

The Bad

* my dual-head config was not properly setup "out-of-the-box" and I spent some time trying to get the second monitor working, the X installation chose a virtual desktop size larger than my monitor which made setting up a dual-head system difficult (I suspect my montior reported wrong values duing the probe?)
    * I spent a lot of time getting Compiz working across two monitors had to dig deep into the forum for this, manual editing of xorg.conf required as the GUI based nvidia-config utilities messed up the config
    * Have an unsolved problem with disappearing title bars and window decoration, watching some posts on this as we speak! Compiz bug I think.
    * Have an unsolved Firefox freeze issue with the Google Toolbar - have disabled it
    * Compiz documentation, settings etc is poor
    * Manual partitioning options on install are not very obvious, I almost missed the option to do this
    * No easy way through the GUI to permanently mount Windows shares (I needed to do this so Amarok could see the files on the Windows share)

The Ugly

* was unable to boot from a live CD (noapic Kernel panic). The forums gave me the answer. This should be in the release notes.
    * despite booting with special kernel options when using the live CD these were not copied over to the install so the kernel panic re-appeared on re-boot. I had to re-boot from the live CD to edit my menu.lst file to fix the problem
    * After installation my Windows disk drive device details changed position on re-boot, so I could not boot into Windows using GRUB (the menu options were there but incorrect). More digging and editing of menu.lst followed

Kernel Panic Threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=509499
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=509499

Despite the problems I am really impressed with Ubuntu/Linux and am migrating over from Windows piece by piece

Apache and MySQL next.....
    Happily running several flavours of Ubuntu

Beans

I'm about to give up!!

Hi, First of all I'm new to Linux, been trying to install some version of Linux so I can tell Microshaft to go away. I have my heart set on making Ubuntu work so much that I got rid of my ATI video card and got an Nvidia card. I also got rid of my Creative X-fi sound card so I could have sound.
    The live version works like a champ but I cant get past the partitioning. I keep getting an error code.(screen shot attached).
    Please assist, but keep it simple, I'm very new to Linux and have very little knowledge in the command line.

My current setup:
    AMD 64 3000
    Gigabyte SLI MB
    Nvidia 7600
    1MB RAM

60 GB IDE w/2 partitions
    120 GB IDE w/2 partitions
    160 SATA w 2/ partitions

Thanks, TJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Upgraded my wife's PC to Gutsy this evening. One shortish pause whist it installed "scrollkeeper" and a disturbingly long pause during the final cleanup phase lasting about 15 minutes. The box showed the files to be removed but though I could move the mouse pointer over the screen, things otherwise seemed frozen. The hard drive LED light wasn't on but at least the time clock was working. Finally more out of hope than expectation I pressed the ENTER key and a dialogue box appeared requiring input of her password. After a reboot Gutsy had been installed.

At reboot I then got a message from the Restricted Driver Manager reporting I needed Firmware for the wireless card's Broadcom 4306 chipset. Selecting this got me no further because I'd lost wireless connection with the router. It wanted to download bcm43xx-fwcutter to enable the latest driver to be extracted.

ifconfig didn't show wlan0 but iwconfig did
    iwconfig had the correct essid but no WEP key
    Network Manager had the correct essid and WEP key but to no effect
    The wireless driver was bcmwl5

After a couple of hours looking in the Forum using my PC I did this-

Having a memory stick, I was able download to my Desktop install on my wife's PC the bcm43xx-fwcutter from Here

and the Broadcom driver from here

Using the Restricted Driver manager I was able to install the driver using the "fwcutter tool".

ifconfig now reported my wlan0 and after entering manually the essid we re-established a wireless connection to the router.

Comment added later: What I know now. If before upgrading my wife's PC to Gutsy I'd already downloaded the fwcutter tool and the bcm43xx driver/firmware onto her Feisty F. Desktop, they would have been there when I lost the wireless connection after the Gutsy upgrade and I wouldn't have needed to use another PC to transfer these files with my memory stick.
    Last edited by Handssolow; November 2nd, 2007 at 10:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I'm about to give up!!

Quote Originally Posted by tj.brewster View Post
    Hi, First of all I'm new to Linux, been trying to install some version of Linux so I can tell Microshaft to go away. I have my heart set on making Ubuntu work so much that I got rid of my ATI video card and got an Nvidia card. I also got rid of my Creative X-fi sound card so I could have sound.
    The live version works like a champ but I cant get past the partitioning. I keep getting an error code.(screen shot attached).
    Please assist, but keep it simple, I'm very new to Linux and have very little knowledge in the command line.

My current setup:
    AMD 64 3000
    Gigabyte SLI MB
    Nvidia 7600
    1MB RAM

60 GB IDE w/2 partitions
    120 GB IDE w/2 partitions
    160 SATA w 2/ partitions

Thanks, TJ
    You could use GpartedLIVE CD to wipe your drive (the one you are going to use for Ubuntu) and start from there.

Download the *.iso file from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Burn it to a CD using a program that can do this (probably have to find another box)

Boot from the CD DISC and follow the instructions.
    Last edited by frogotronic; November 2nd, 2007 at 03:41 AM.
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans

I did a clean upgrade from Feisty with an ISO DVD. The only problem so far was the the DVD had a hash errror for my Nvidia driver. i just changed the repositories in Synaptic away from the DVD and to Canonical and it worked like a charm. My system is a 1.8 Processor with 512 RAM and it is like a new machine.

Beans

Got it installed by removing windows. Now I cant access the other ntfs drives (pic attached) What have I done wrong? I cant work as root either, during install I dont remember being asked for a root password, so I cant get into Root. Total NOOB needs help.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj.brewster; November 2nd, 2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: New Picture

Page 84 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast