View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 77 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by stvebrown65 View Post
    Too much, too soon.

Having no experience with Ubuntu or Linux (I recently purchased a new Dell with 7.04 pre-installed) I clicked the button to upgrade and made an assumption that no problems would occur, also not realising how new the upgrade was. Quite a number of errors were reported and, presumably, some wrong choices made.

On re-boot I now have a kernel panic and I see a week of pain ahead. Any advice would we gratefully received.

This is not a complaint, per se, but a valuable lesson learnt...slow down, you have plenty of time.

Regards,
    Steve
    I think the first thing to learn from this experience is to always backup your ubuntu partition before an upgrade so that you can put back your ubuntu system like it was before in 5 min if you are not satisfied.
    Now for you current problem i would say that if you're not able to fix your system then maybe you will have to go for a fresh install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snakra View Post
    Hello,

Tried to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10.

I got message 'Error during update'

Four lines of 'failed to fetch://http ....

Any ideas on how to sort this out? I'm using an Acer Travelmate Tablet laptop

Perhaps I should stay with 7.04 till the 7.10 problems are sorted out as 7.04 works a treat after a lot of sorting out. Would hate to have to go through the sorting out process again.
    Same here ." could not resolve Winehq/lowvoice.nl check internet connection blah blah blah " or something very similar to that .( OK maybe without the " blah blah blah " part ... )

WIREHEAD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just to make things clear in case there's some doubts about this :

Before hiting the upgrade button you must have commented/removed all the external repositories you added otherwise the upgrade will fail for sure, this is a mandatory and inescapable step if you added non ubuntu repositories to your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Just to make things clear in case there's some doubts about this :

Before hitting the upgrade button you must have commented/removed all the external repositories you added otherwise the upgrade will fail for sure, this is a mandatory and inescapable step if you added non Ubuntu repositories to your system.
    As I found to be true.

Once I upgraded Ede, Semantic had conflict issues - until I discovered that they related to emacs 21 and emacs 22 is the default Gutsy version and cedet already did the same thing as ede and semantic.

So I installed emacs 22 and uninstalled ede and semantic. All seems fine now except didn't have the compiz GL panel and emerald theme manager by default and had to install them. How do i get more themes - the download button seemed not to work?
    Last edited by whistlerspa; October 30th, 2007 at 11:33 AM.

Beans

the system ok but i still have problem with php ldap after upgrade

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...50#post3663450

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried to update using Package update but it always got stuck, so I did a clean install. Most of my data survived, including the emails in Evolution. The main problem I have is in syncing my Palm. In 7.04 it worked without a problem (after I made sure I copied data from the Palm first as the first sync stuffed up my address book), but here I get an error that /dev/palm doesn't exist (which is true) I'v tried to uninstall all palm apps and reinstall to no avail.
    NVidea drivers worked fine. For some reason the restricted drivers were trying to run my LCD monitor at 85Hz which was a bit high! I had to quickly change the frequency to 60Hz as otherwise the monitor would turn off.
    The printer drivers were as for 7.04 at first, which means prints from Firefox were missing red. After i deleted and reinstalled the driver it now seems to print correctly..
    I can't get the spell check in openoffice to work yet. I tried to install Lotus Symphony but can't seem to get the .bin to execute.

Beans
    Hidden!

This post could be related to an Ubuntu bug filed at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/150471
    ----------------------------

Upgraded from Feisty a week ago using the upgrade manager.

Had to use the workaround for Nautilus eating all the cpu. (See James N's posting in the above bug report 2007-10-25.)

Login screen was at 1280x1024 but Gnome desktop stayed at 1024x768 and wouldn't reset to anything else even though options were there. Finally logged into an Openbox session to change settings with the Gnome Screen Resolution tool and it worked.

Switched from Beryl to Compiz, liked the way it looked, but started getting mouse lockups with Compiz. Tried all combinations of drivers and xorg.conf configurations. This is with an Nvidia video card on an Asus motherboard with Core 2 Duo cpu. Had previously disabled one cpu under Beryl due to a known Nvidia driver problem with dual cores. (Wish Nvidia would fix that!) Feisty was then running solid with Beryl.

Now a similar lockup behavior is occurring under Gnome... but it happens now even with the nv driver and no compositing! Have given up on Compiz for now and things seem stable under Openbox. At least I can enable the 2nd cpu again since I'm not using Nvidia's driver. Guessing something's wrong in Gnome, or else I've got a conflict due to some remnants of the earlier setup. I miss the Beryl/Compiz eyecandy happiness.

Beans

When I installed on my ASUS box with an Adaptec card (5 HDDs total) it said my main drive was a SCSI drive and the Adaptec ones were the "main drives", and then it proceeded to install a boot loader onto one of my main drives without telling me. I found this out when I clicked on the "Advanced" button later which most people would not do initially.

It then looked like it was installing fine to my "SCSI" drive but when I booted up it would just say "Invalid boot partition" or something like that. So I was SOL right?

Luckily I used g4u to backup everything and I was able to restore the one drive it messed up. Luckily I didn't panic, like most people would do, and then they wouldn't have a backup either.

This is a fairly typical experience I have had installing various versions of Linux and BSD. My other drives have NetBSD partitions and I have a pull out main drive. I didn't want them to be touched but it did that anyway! I will probably try installing again at a later date, now knowing what I know.

Another thing I would like to note is that I have a DDC monitor but it is hooked up on a KVM and that makes the cable too long for DDC to work. Knowing that I unplug it from the KVM for the initial install (typically) and I do an X configuration by hand. It would be nice to be able to specify in the install to do this for me... this has got to be a typical problem encountered by many people. Otherwise I believe it will do an auto-detection every time which won't work after I put it back onto the KVM.

Beans

SNORT: fatalities

aumma.....

third main version to put in from UBU 6:

before just few problem with everything working very well.

NOW my desktop is telling me to watch out and have a nice day under the sun:

NOTHING WORKS

it is caused for a SNORT fatal error , is it really this ?

I mean...life is very short, could I fix it directly, or think about re-install everything (older), and I don't even know how.

Bye Bye

Paolo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gutsy(32) Part I:

Using LiveCd

GA-8SG800 Pentium IV 2.5ghz
    WinFast ti 4200 AGP

Samsung 22" 2232GS
    DFI LanParty nF3 250G AMD Athlon64 3700+ (s754)
    Gigabyte 6600GT AGP

LiveCd boots up - install was successful but partition missing in GRUB so i still haven't seen Gutsy in action

Laptop NEC Versa P8100
    Nvidia 6200 Go

LiveCd boots up with 'safe graphics mode'

Gutsy froze -tried to restartx then similar error to my secondary Desktop : Buffer IO Error
    i had to reboot

I'll play with it some more when i have time but compared to my Feisty installs from LiveCD
    Gutsy seems troublesome to say the least

<update>
    Gutsy now works flawlessly on the AMD</update>
    Last edited by NotTheMessiah; November 28th, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
    Signatures are overrated

Page 77 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast