View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 76 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Install suitable for advanced users only

Woe be it to those that try to install with a newer nvidia graphics card. This is not a configuration that should be attempted by a linux newbie--but wait, isn't that the idea of Ubuntu--a newbie friendly distribution?

Install onto laptop with the following card appears to work
    Code:
     nVidia Corporation Quadro FX 570M
    but the user is greeted by a blank screen on first reboot. This is because the installer configures X with the nv driver, which does not support this card. Not even a little.

For a newbie this is a disaster--you get a blank screen, not even a console with a log-in prompt. And the keyboard is locked--you can't even switch to a console, assuming you know there is one. Failsafe X my a**! QA anyone?

The fix is simple enough for an experienced user: reboot in rescue (single-user) mode, run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, and select the vesa driver. That will at least get you a gui and a working keyboard so that you can then enable the nvidia driver.

For a distro that wants to be a serious desktop contender, this sort of thing is a giant step backwards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by MimeyNaomi View Post
    I'm having a problem. Soon after the update starts, it stops and gives me these errors:

Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ntfs-3g.sitesweetsite.info/ub...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ntfs-3g.sitesweetsite.info/ub...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

Then it tells me this is probably a network problem, and to check my network connection and try again. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with my network connection. Is anyone else having this problem?
    The error message is very misleading. This is actually a very easy problem to fix. The problem is that the medibuntu and ntfs-3g repositories are not official unbuntu repositories. The solution is to simply gedit your etc/apt/sources.list file. Comment out these unofficial repositories (you have to su or sudo to have authority to save it). Then do an 'apt-get update' and restart the Gutsy upgrade. There's lots of info re: editing the repositories list in the forums. After I did this, my upgrade worked without an issue. Hope you have the same good fortune.

Beans

Upgrade went well, with no problems, BUT when I needed to print an Open office document, everything seized up. The document was easily recovered, but still would not print. I can print from the web, from PDF files and from Abiword - which, unfortunately at the moment lacks some features I need.

I should have checked the forums first before upgrading. There do seem to have been a lot of problems with OO. Sorry, but I'll have to go to my XP machine to get some urgent work finished.

Thanks to all for the excellent work, though.

W

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello,

Tried to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10.

I got message 'Error during update'

Four lines of 'failed to fetch://http ....

Any ideas on how to sort this out? I'm using an Acer Travelmate Tablet laptop

Perhaps I should stay with 7.04 till the 7.10 problems are sorted out as 7.04 works a treat after a lot of sorting out. Would hate to have to go through the sorting out process again.

Beans

i tired installing ubuntu like 4 times and could not untill a friend told me i had to defag my hard drive from windows

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by phillipjennings5 View Post
    i tired installing ubuntu like 4 times and could not untill a friend told me i had to defag my hard drive from windows

Yep. Windows is a pain with that. Most of the information will be at the start and a very little at the end and here and there in between. You won't be able to resize the Windows partition because of that. So a defrag first is always a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Upgrade worked flawlessly using Update Manager.
    I installed Envy to install the restricted nvidia driver.
    Activated the 3D stuff.
    I consider these an 'extra', as the system works ok without it, so I do not count them as issues that 'need' resolving.

Loving it so far

But haven't tried wireless yet, just installed a wireless router. Fingers crossed.

Yahoo
    Last edited by yahoo; October 30th, 2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added:

Beans

Too much, too soon.

Having no experience with Ubuntu or Linux (I recently purchased a new Dell with 7.04 pre-installed) I clicked the button to upgrade and made an assumption that no problems would occur, also not realising how new the upgrade was. Quite a number of errors were reported and, presumably, some wrong choices made.

On re-boot I now have a kernel panic and I see a week of pain ahead. Any advice would we gratefully received.

This is not a complaint, per se, but a valuable lesson learnt...slow down, you have plenty of time.

Regards,
    Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Unusable I give up

For me 7.10 is unusable.
    I thought I wouldn't have big problems as 7.04 was working well.
    I was wrong.
    I could not make X work. I had it only in safe mode.
    On the two kernel which are install after upgrade. The most recent one does not start.
    Apparently the memory stick I inserted could not be read.

I also tried the Live CD. It would not start!

Well I'll have to reinstall 7.04 as Vista is not really a viable option.

Beans
    Hidden!

Any advice would we gratefully received.

Duct Tape, Hammer and nails fixes all things....................

Page 76 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast