View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 72 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Just voted and wanted to note some problems explicitly.

Hardware:

- Lost sound that was working fine on my integrated nVidia card in Feisty.
    - Compiz eats memory up to 1 GB in half a day making work impossible, so I had to turn it off.

Interface. My biggest gripe is that spatial interface features are slowly dying with each release.

- Emblems (icons that can be associated with folders) was useful in Breezy, then artists made them look all similar in Edgy and it lasted through Feisty. Now in Gutsy those emblems are smacked down to about 8x8 size so they are just indistinguishable mess around folders. After Edgy I was trying to explain in mail list and in Launchpad why all-orange emblems are bad for usability but was ignored by people who just didn't get what the hell I was talking about ("emblems are nice and glossy, what's not to like?").

- Files on Desktop used to remember their position so the file 'temp.diff' that I'm creating occasionally working on my code always used to appear in the upper right corner. Since Feisty it forgets it's position every time and I'm forced to minimize windows to get to it. Now I realize that even saving file in gEdit resets its appearance on Desktop.

And I'm sorry I'm tired of filing bugs because those issues don't seem of high priority and get mostly ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Very efficient and easy upgrade with Synaptic BUT there remained a problem with the djview plugin not working with Firefox. Gutsy has improved over Feisty because I can now download a djview type of file and then open it with the standalone djview3 viewer. Strangely unable to open it with Evince!

Beans

I upgraded fglrx and on reboot everything just went slooooooooow.... Seriously, windows 98 is more stable than gutsy

EDIT: Solution turned out to be: sudo apt-get remove xserver-xgl
    Last edited by Doomguy0505; October 29th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I first upgraded my girlfriends laptop: worked flawlessly except her ati graphic driver was not white listed for compiz-fusion. Question: do I wait for this to fix itself or do I use the work around?

I then upgraded my desktop computer: worked flawlessly, one 7.04 related issue. In 7.04 I had to uninstall the network manager for my wireless network card to function. In 7.10, I had to reinstall it -otherwise it would have worked out-of-the-box.
    VivaLaRoach

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Beans

Upgrading worked apparently well, but then I cannot mount or have access to partitioned disk. The message I get is "it is not possible to mount the volume OSSHARE .."mount:/dev/sda6 is already mounted or /media/hda6 is busy"

hda6 was the original name of the partition, but Gutsy apparently renamed it to sda6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Camila.grain View Post
    hda6 was the original name of the partition, but Gutsy apparently renamed it to sda6.
    This is explained everywhere and it is the purpose of using UUID rather than device path.

So this is normal, you will find all the needed informations about it in the forum, basically you just have to edit your fstab file using UUID rather than device path.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Installing gutsy acer aspire 1694 wlmi laptop working well. Just can't find automatix2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tyfn View Post
    Just can't find automatix2.
    You should not have a need for it, enable your repositories and try the Add/Remove apps GUI, you should find there almost all you need.

Beans

On 3 PCs the gnome-panel task manager freezes the panel. I can't figure out a solution. Got AWN running on the Nvidia machines and xfce4-panel on the ATI [spits] machine. Currently, trying to work out how to get a Gnome panel launcher on the xfce-panel. This is the worst upgrade experience I've had to date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

1.)

I sorted out the fact that every new installation or upgrade has trouble activating wireless by writing a wee script of ifconfig and iwconfig and route commands and saving it as /etc/init.d/network.

The script is here,
    <quote>
    #! /bin/bash -x
    # /etc/init.d/network Wireless configuration script
    iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
    iwconfig wlan0 managed
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig wlan0 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    exit 0
    </quote>

or whatever works for your system
    You can edit it to use the appropriate commands for your system. You can try the commands in the terminal (as root/sudo) to see what your system needs.

To make it load on bootup, I placed a symbolic link in /etc/rcS.d:

CODE:
    ed@ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/network /etc/rcS.d/S81network
    /CODE

(the S81 prefix means it will be loaded near the end of the boot process after miscellaneous scripts - see Debian rules)

2.)

Blank screen problems sorted by giving it the video driver it needed. ("intel" in my case)
    The lines below may be of significance

<quote># /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf(5) manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    </quote>

Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs.
    -- Kernighan

Salaam/Shalom/Shanthi/Dorood/Peace
    Namaste -ed
    Last edited by tipiglen; October 29th, 2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo in command line for symbolic link
    Asus 1005HA CPU:N280 HDD:160G RAM:2G Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Mint 9

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Page 72 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast