View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 62 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have a Averatec 3200 and have been using Ubuntu from Dapper. I really enjoyed Ubuntu so far.

I used ubuntu-server and also had ubuntu desktop installed. The upgrade had several issues and messed up things. This is the second time this is happening.

I tried installing from scratch. I did Ubuntu Desktop. Install seemed to go smooth. But I cannot get network to work. Wireless and Ethernet - dont work. Previous versions of Ubuntu were great when it comes to networking. Gutsy seems to have issues. Or is it only with my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

you should try to disable ipv6 and fix your dns config if you use a router

Beans

Well, I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop for about a year now and have been VERY happy. 32 bit was flwaless to install and interact with on a daily basis, but 64 bit was a little flaky, specifically concerning my Atheros wifi card. And don't even get me started on the lack of 64 bit java, but that's not Ubuntu's fault.
    It was my intention to revert back to 32 bit, but I thought I would try a gutsy dist upgrade first just for fun. It ran and completed with only an error about being unable to stop "beagle-something.exe" but a pkill beagle took care of that. after the upgrade finished: no wifi and no sound. I manually compiled the madwifi driver, nada and didn't even bother with the sound, cuz WTF...the most user friendly distro in the world? the one my mother could install by herself? HARDLY!!!!

So fine, I wanted to go back to 32 bit anyhow...download...download..Comcast resets my bittorrent connection...download...burn cd...

Oh joy! 7.10 officially WILL NOT BOOT ON MY THINKPAD T60P!!!! It crashes on the launching of the x-server, and of course has no text installer by default...more downloading....

In the meantime, I'm posting this from the same Thinkpad running Slackware 12.0 which installed with no gotchas...no hitches...no special weird workarounds...just plain works, sort of like Ubuntu is supposed to...

Two notes, Slackware comes up with the vesa graphics driver. It's not pretty, but it works enough to allow one to fire up a web browser and grab the latest ati driver...then ./ati-driver thingy.run...yes..ok..yes..ok..no..ctl+alt+backspa ce and viola: 1680x1050.
    Also, the ethernet connection worked out of the gate on Slack, but no wifi...paid a visit to the madwifi site, downloaded, unzipped, ./configure...make..make install..modprobe ath_pci...reboot....bada bing...wireless.

The thing that really torques me is that because this is my work laptop, I have to use Evolution for Exchange email. It's a pain in the butt to install on the Gnome-less Slack, but as it turns out, may be less work than getting the easiest distro in the world to even boot on my fairly plain laptop....

Booobuntu...you have totally lost my confidence in your efforts to become a household desktop for anyone who doesn't use a Dell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

New install on ASUS P5P800 system that I built several years ago.
    Nvidia grafix card.
    P4 3.0 ghz
    2 gb mem
    500 gb hd (2x250gb wd)
    2 optical burners
    Install went fairly well on this networked machine and 2 others like it. All are dual boot systems now and updates and ugrades are the same on each machine.
    Had to resolve networking issues on my native winxp home network to access other resources (shares), a networked HP all in one printer,scanner,copier, and fax.
    So far, most everything works very well. Still working on all in one device drivers.
    Thanks to all that have contributed to this OS!

Bus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have already posted on the thread on all the installed and upgrades I did (all 13 of them now), but would like to make one point I took note of.
    When updating my laptop I keep an eye on the CPU temp and here is what I found. About six months ago my laptop over-heated and shut down. At that time I had a lot of things running in 4 workspaces and I believe I over worked my processor. Since then, every time I am running the processor for long periods of time I keep an eye on the temp. While doing the upgrade my temp would go from 140 degrees F. to 165 degrees. Normally it runs at about 115 to 140. Right now as I type this it is running at 118. I am not sure what the limit temp is in my CMOS.
    I thought I would just pass this observation on to those who might be interested.
    Irv
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Two installs:

1) Home pc:
    • P4 EE3.4ghz
    • 1.2gb ram
    • BFG GeForce 7600GS
    • M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    • 2 x WD 320gb SATA + WD 500gb SATA as external (in enclosure)
    • Dual monitors (LCD+CRT)

Installed, copied over /home from Feisty and boom, everything as it was. (It's amazing how my xorg.conf and .asoundrc, two files barely a few kb, are responsible for pretty much all of my customized video and sound). No problems whatsoever, all works.

2) Sister's laptop which has Vista:
    • Celeron 1.73ghz
    • 882 megs ram
    • 80gb hd
    • ATI Radeon Express 200M
    • onboard sound

Everything works perfectly. I installed XGL and busted out Compiz, my goodness I could not believe how smooth and flawless it was. I still remember my ATI card on my home PC earlier this year and my headaches getting into an XGL session and how poorly it performed, before I even ran Beryl-- the progress in this respect that the linux geniuses out there have made is commendable. Also, wireless worked flawlessly right off the bat, I was easily able to see all the wireless networks and connect to the one I had been using in Vista. Perfect all-around.

I am thoroughly impressed with Gutsy, and my sister is now learning to use Ubuntu. I showed her how to do everything she was doing in Vista, on Ubuntu.

The only thing I can think of is random freezing. It's rare, but it does happen and it's frustrating to have so many things open I'm working on only to have it lock up.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Upgraded from DVD for Ubuntu Studio. It was fast and worked. I spent less than 45 min or so, answered a few questions regarding old files and new data and was done. It took longer to download the ISO than to actually install it!

Many kudos for I have never has any M$ product go this easy, and as we all know (most at least) that is an expensive procedure.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I'm running Feisty 7.04 with all latest updates.

I've downloaded the Gutsy 7.10 alternate CD and procceeded to upgrade as per the instructions:

Insert the CD and run:
    sudo /cdrom/cdromupgrade

This worked fine (it opened the Upgrade manager). The upgrade started and passed steps 1 and 2 (preparing the upgrade, and modifying the software channels),

But then at step 3 (fetching the upgrades) the upgrade manager entered into a loop. Here fetching the upgrade means copying them from the CD, as the noise of the CD driver was clearly telling me that this is what was going on. The manager went through the list of 984 packages to upgrade 3 times, and after that failed due to a checksum mismatch for two packages!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well i thought it's about time i posted about my experience as there seems to be many people posting their negative expereinces. I am a linux rookie (this is my third release - so probably not nub anymore), but still fairly new to the OS and learning everyday. I did a fresh install onto a whole disk about 4 days ago now and while i initially thought the install process took longer than 7.04 & 6.06 it still worked flawlessy with all my periphials (HP Printer, Apple 20" Cinema Dispaly, ipods, usb hub) being recognised OOB and the screen resolution being detected (1680 * 1050). Installing the Nvidia restricted drivers was a simple task and again, worked flawlessly - now my desktop cube and effects are also humming. From there it was time to begin re-installing all my tweaks, beginning with flash for firefox. While i admit i'm using the 'non-free' plugin, i am stoked that there now exists a 64 bit version and it installed simply.
    Skype still seems to be an issue in 64 bit, however i found a great project from Cappy called getlibs which solves 32 bit dependency issues. What a great project this is, and for what it's worth, massive kudos goes to Cappy for this one ***kudos*** So i had the basics running, now it's time to setup my development environment beginning with the LAMP server. I installed these through synaptic and it was again extremely simple to do, the only 'challenge' was remembering to create the symbolic link into my /var/www/ directory for the phpmyadmin pages (hehe for lazy admin in dev environment). Then i was up and running without issue. Admittedly, i have left the hardest part to last as i have to try to install java and phpeclipse tonight but i'm sure i will be able to sort this out as well...
    Lastly, and this is what is going to kill my windows install completely (hehe), the ETQW linux client has been released and now this game is happily running on my gutsy system, this was the easiest install of the lot to be honest - to those that say linux isn't for gamers, it appears that ID & Splash Damage have found the way forward on this front.
    Anyway, this is why i've voted for the install - worked flawlessy option, because it did
    Well, i've installed eclipse and my php dev environment is again purring... from what i thought to be the biggest challenge that would face me in this install, again this was suprisingly easy! Simply installed eclipse from synaptic, upon running initially it couldn't find the jvm, so i installed one!! haha, this was easily fixed through the ubuntu-restricted-packages install, then everything worked sweetly.. In addition to this i also installed the media player and other restricted codecs at a single click (just try to run a .wmv file in totem and it will find the right packages for you to install), again another breezy install. To top all this off, i now have gdesklets re-installed as the bug that was causing the deamon to fail has been fixed and a .deb package has been posted on launchpad taking all the stress out for us! I have been without my eye candy desklets since dapper (didn't do edgy - was still too nub) as the workarounds were deemed (by me) not worth the effort in feisty.. so i would like to upgrade my vote from a 9 to a 10, fantastic effort for the gutsy dev team, what a great distro...

Beans

FUE=Fantastic Upgrade Experience. I did cheated a little and mounted the ISO image that I had copied in the hard disk. In less than 90 minutes I had a fully upgraded system. So far, everything works.

Page 62 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast