View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 6 of 176 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I mentioned before elsewhere but I'll post here too.

My upgrade kept failing to download all the files so I just did a fresh install. Working good so far except my sound. I was hoping that 7.10 would support my c-media soundcard right "out of the box" but I guess I'll have to manually configure it again (like I did in 7.04).

When the load is lessened I might consider checking out the 64bit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiCat View Post
    According to that non-scientific poll, only 20% of users had a problem-free experience. That, unfortunately, is a total failure.

I think I'll hold off on installing it.
    A fresh install worked fine for me - Athlon XP3000, MSI RS480 M-IL, 6600GT
    Compiz, wireless networking, all working.

People are more likely to vote and post in this thread if they have problems, not if it worked flawlessly

Beans

I upgraded via the update manager, it took most of the day and into the evening with a cable connection. Upgrade worked flawlessly. I am not happy with some of the changes that have been made, particularly removal of things like Synaptic from the menu (I have to start it from cli) and missing config options as simple being able to change my cursor from the mouse preferences. I do like the new Theme manager but just changing the Desktop backgrounds takes longer now. The new Visual Effects chooser is nice also. I will give about a week and see if I will keep it or downgrade.

Edit: I found where to change the cursor/pointer, it has been moved to the Theme manager under pointer.
    Last edited by persev; October 19th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well in my case the upgrade mechanism satisfied Clarke's Third Law - that is it was indistinguishable from magic . Even desktop effects worked straight out of the box. Nothing in this life is perfect of course, but the only problem I've come across so far is the version of Firefox in 7.10 seems irritatingly prone to freezes of a minute or so for no apparent reason <sigh>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by frodon;
    Just wait, the fact that the ubuntu servers have a bandwidth limit have nothing to do with the success or not of your upgrade on the technical aspect, obviously it makes your update manager to freeze or crash but this is just server load issue.
    I know what a freeze is,and I know about server issue.I also know what I write usually.
    This is a update-manager problem were the application goes bye bye,nothing to do with the server load.

Beans

my experience:

the upgrade was quite successful, but i'm disappointed that gutsy was not able to install the restricted nvidia driver automatically. in feisty it failed because of the unsupported geforce model (the driver was too old) but gutsy has the proper version, yet the nvidia xorg driver could not start because of the bad kernel module version.
    so i had to remove the restricted manager and install the binary package from nvidia website (how ugly).

the new compiz is much better than the feisty version, and perhaps it is even good enough to keep it enabled all the time (no catastrophic failures for now, it only freezed once and immediately switched to the old window manager automatically). this would be the true good reason to upgrade

and tracker does not work at all but i'm working on a solution...

that's all

Beans

Installed fresh on my laptop.

During boot from HD, the screen remains dark for a couple of minutes. Every now and then, there is a little disk activity.
    After 5 minutes, the 'Gnome' login screen appears and the system is working normally. Everything before that was just a black screen.

I went into /boot/grub/menu.lst and removed the 'quiet splash' parameters to see more messages and find out what it is doing all that time.

However, with 'quiet' and 'splash' removed, it is booting like a charm. About as fast as 7.04.

It seems I have stumbled upon a workaround.

cheers
    m
    Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T SE mobo, nVidia 9800, dual screen.

Beans

Before I started the upgrade, I went in and changed my default sources location. I discovered when you goto change it, it has a "detect which one is the best location to choose" option, so I ran that, it chose one for me, and when I started the upgrade it proceeded very quickly. I was getting download rates of 300K-800K.
    The installation takes the longest. Fine. After my reboot everything came up looking great except that I have two monitors, on an ATI (Radeon 9250) card. I immediately tried to configure the two monitors, but everything went downhill from there. After making my changes, I logged out and re-logged in and from that point forward I wasn't able to attain any high-end graphics state. I was stuck in 800x600 low res mode and nothing I did allowed me to fix that. I ended up rebooting and instead of loading the latest kernel that gets installed, I ran the other slightly older kernel and I was able to get back to my 1280x1024 resolution, but not my dual (big desktop) setup. About the only other thing that I've noticed that doesn't work is my VPN connection to my work. Some configuration option that we use, is no longer provided in Kvpnc. Don't know what to do about that just yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Once I found out I could redirect my request for files to other servers in the Synaptic Package Manager - and have then stick for the upgrade It was like a dream.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580750

Nvidia had me worried - but it worked out of the box.

All the stress seems to be that the default servers were overloaded .

7.10 and Ubuntu Rocks - Good work team!
    Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 64 bit- Dual Core PentiumD 2.66 GHz- NVidia BFG Geforce 6600 GT HP F4180

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Upgrade went OK but it took WAY TO LONG!

I have five (5) more workstations to upgrade. I will not use the Internet way to upgrade!

Has anyone upgrade using the Alternate CD way? If so is it faster?

CHFFriday

Edit: If I sound like I’m complaining, then I just want to apologize to all. I just wanted to tell everyone what to expect. I have never upgrade an SO using the Internet and I have been doing this stuff for 40 years. I wanted to see how it would work and I found out. I can wait for things to calm down. No problem. Anyway, I don’t know why I want to upgrade. Things are working fine.

If you think the Internet is overwhelmed now by Umbutu users just think of what it would be like if Microsoft did something like this.

What is needed is an Upgrade CD that does not need to use the Internet at the time of installation. This would be purchase at a minor cost and this would slow things down to a manageable pace. Then the download would be an option for those that don’t want to spend the money for the CD.

Why not the Alternate CD? My understanding is it also needs the Internet. Not good at this time.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by CHFFriday; October 19th, 2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Some Info

Page 6 of 176 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast