View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 58 of 176 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

gutsy install on dell m1710

ok, newb here so bear with me.

got a Dell XPS laptop (m1710), system MXG061.

intel core 2 duo 2.16GHz, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM.

NVIDIA geforce go 7950 gtx.

Have been running feisty with only one problem (no wifi - my fault). and decided on fresh install of gutsy from alternate CD. Install worked fine, even got the full disk crypto running without too many hassels. updated everything fine, downloaded some themes fine, rebooted 3 or 4 times no worries. (last thing i did was download and install - but not configure - tor and privoxy)

But now, i get an error message after grub when it tries to initialise the kernel and will not load (works in recovery mode tho).

most common error is :

[ 4.532000] usb 1-1 device not accepting address 2, error -71

sometimes it gives 4 lines of error messages but all quote ( -71) at the end. ( just got a couple)

[ 4.848000] hub 1-1.2:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

[ 4.848000] hub 1-1.2:1.0: cannot disable port 2 (err = -71)

[ 4.848000] hub 1-1.2:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -71)

any help greatly appreciated, as i really would like to avoid having to do a re-install, and ive definately not got any usb devices plugged in.

Appart from this, i really liked gutsy so far. desktop effects work off the bat with no errors (another minor problem i had in feisty). love the crypto option in the installer.

good work, and thanks.
    Last edited by phobophile; October 25th, 2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

my upgrade from feisty worked pretty smoothly (had to remove some repositories before i could upgrade) but when i started it up...compiz fusion didnt feel like working...i unfortunately had to search through some threads on here...but after that i haven't had any problems so far

overall: 85% positive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Thanks for the help, but unfortunately when I tried that it would autodetect my monitor and then still not make 1280x1024 at 75Hz available. I know it does that refresh since I'm booted into XP now and running it fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyes View Post
    Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.
    I was going to suggest a solution: Why not use the CD image for upgrades?

Everyone can torrent the CD image, server capacity is not a problem there. At the same time, the CD image is guaranteed to contain all files that need upgrading. So why not give the update manager an option to upgrade from the 7.10 CD or CD image instead of over the servers? All it would need would be a map on where to find all the little bits and pieces...

I did a clean fresh install after the update manager told me it would be 14 hours to finish... it was a pain but better than wait 14 hours...

Beans

Worked but more problems that the Feisty install.

- Graphics card ATI X1600 mobility, was not working out of the box, some command line voodoo needed to make it really work. I was stuck with no 3D acceleration and no option to switch to my native screen resolution of 1680x1050 until I used the command line tool (search for X1600 in the forums)
    - Wireless was dog slow after install, lots of ubuntu forum searching revealed that IPv6 has to be turned off by changing several config files per hand.

Both of these things worked flawlessly in Feisty - e.g. Feisty managed to automatically install and configure both wireless and the ATI card with no problems.

- Suspend mode crashes the machine. Don't think this worked in Feisty either.

Can't recommend Gutsy on laptops.

I like glitz as much as anyone but if basic things don't work it doesn't do anything for me.

Beans

I honestly don't see where people are running into problems. I repartitioned my hard disk and installed 7.1 with no trouble. The only problem i ran into was that for some reason my new install did not have any reposiutories selected for downloading new apps. After i solved this by System > Administration > Software Sources everything was perfect. I even got Conky working!

Beans

Yesterday, I decided to upgrade my 64-bit Kubuntu Feisty Fawn to Gutsy Gibbon. So, I went and followed the instructions on the wiki. After some initial difficulty, the update program came up and started upgrading. 3 hours later, it said it had to restart some things. I noticed that it said gdm on the list. Since I didn't have gdm, I exchanged that for kdm and pressed continue. My X server preceded to restart. But the upgrade program did not. So I went on the forum for help. I read recommendations of the use of 'dpkg --configure -a' and 'apt-get upgrade.' I tried that a few times, along with the use of Aptitude to resolve problems. So, I think I'm all ready to go. Terminals say "7.10" and KDE has a shiny new theme.
    Then I try to run Thunderbird. It doesn't start. I try it in the terminal. I get:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl
    Later, I tried Firefox when I was having trouble with Flash (which was easily resolved by installing a package). Same message. Firefox was working, but only with kgtk-wrapper, which I installed manually. But that didn't help with GIMP, Abiword, or Thunderbird, all of which returned the same error. I tried reinstalling libgtk2.0-0 (package responsible for /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0), but that doesn't help.

So, can anyone help me with this?

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Took a long time to donwload and upgrade. I have the "black screen" problem, but I think it is unrelated to splash screen settings. I think I see the splash screen - with the golden progress bar, which completes its travels from left to right. I can boot into recovery mode with no problems, if I press CTRL-D to continue, commands continue to flow. Shortly after hald loads, I get a blinking white cursor briefly, followed by a blank screen. The backlight is on, the screen is black, I see hard drive activity, but that is the end. I have waited and waited - about 20 minutes - to see if this is some "slow boot" but no joy. I believe this problem starts up about the time the screen resolution changes for the log on screen. Maybethat is the splash screen. I have changed the resolutions in usplash to 640x480, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and this hasn't helped. I have seen a lot of posts that mention xorg.conf but I am in over my ankles here. Or maybe deeper. To top it off my CD-ROM seems to have checked out and won't read disks, so I can't boot from there with the desktop CD I downloaded. I'd try a clean install, but that means my CD-ROM had better work first. And I'd like to back up my important files first, like my minesweeper high score...

Save me!!! In the meantime, I will be perusing the forums.

Edit - OK, now I've tried the xorg.conf fix and it shows my screen res at 1024x768. That's the screen res of my Toshiba Internal 1024x768 Panel. My CD-ROM checked back in - I can boot the 6.06 CD and start Ubuntu. When I boot the 7.10 CD, I can get as far as choosing "start or install" and then I get the black screen. Can I use the 6.06 CD to downgrade?
    Last edited by mikeinwin; October 26th, 2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Updates to my situation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Flawless install. There is a little pet peeve (login screen is a different resolution than when logged on) but it's working fine. It's weird because most of the time I need to fix something (I enjoy doing it, though), so it's odd not having to fix a problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

got loads of headaches with grub installing to the wrong drive and messing up the XP boot. even in guided mode it didn't install to the correct HD (i have 4 plugged in). Ended up fixing XPs MBR and installing winGrub to boot gutsy. I recommend wingrub to anyone not quite ready to completely switch to Ubuntu. After fiddling with Ubuntu and getting everything working sweet (albeit a little slower than on my XP) I really dug it, if I can get wine to run some of my apps I dont think I will use XP for anything other than games.

Page 58 of 176 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast