View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 55 of 176 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by thinsoldier View Post
    WHY DOESN'T IT JUST GET THESE THINGS OFF THE CD THAT I ALREADY DOWNLOADED !!!!!
    why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why
    Because you didn't take the time to read the documentation which explain how to do this.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades
    Last edited by frodon; October 24th, 2007 at 08:37 AM.

Hi all,

I tried to install the 7.10 i386 Server version and I have following comments:

1+ Assisted(automated) partitioning with LVM is not working (err, in fact is doing nothing)
    2+ Installer adds strange hash to grub menu, therefore I am unable to boot same disk in other PCs
    3+ Installing default i386 (server) kernel on a Pentium 2, them move the disk to Pentium-M gets me a kernel PANIC: too old processor for this kernel (or similar)

I tried some time ago also the previous server release and 1+ and 2+ where already there (1+ being a known issue for previous release)

Regards

Question Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

ahh, one more thing:

why is my hdd seen as SCSI by the new ubuntu (server) when it's in fact ATA/IDE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by r3ddr View Post
    ahh, one more thing:

why is my hdd seen as SCSI by the new ubuntu (server) when it's in fact ATA/IDE?
    Because all the drives are now handled by the sata drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did an upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy (Dell Inspiron 1300)

Everything seemed OK but then I realised my WiFi (Broadcom 43xx) was down. Gutsy said something about proprietary drivers but whilst they loaded they didn't work.

I tried alot to get the wifi working. My old favourite "HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards" didn't do the trick this time with ndiswrapper or native drivers. My eth1 disappeared and was replaced with eth1:avahi in the status bar. I realised eventually I could overtype the avahi bit to get the eth1 status but this was not obvious.

After much searching and hair pulling, I found " HOWTO: Broadcom 43xx based wireless cards the EASY way." and this got my WiFi working again. Unfortunately this fix led to my ubuntu hanging on boot (3.5 squares in to the classy splash screen). I could get in in safe mode... Help from someone through the forum led me to remove the splash parameter in grub to see what was going on. Most mysteriously the boot does NOT hang when the splash screen is disabled.

I am currently working out how to look at the boot log (if there is one) to see what is going on.
    Newbie to ubuntu - loving it - the linux I have been looking for
    DELL Inspiron 1300 with Ubuntu 9.10 and IBM R31 with xubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Already posted on page 43, everyone with long boot issue should try this first to exclude any usplash bad configuration problem which are known to cause long boot process :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...52&postcount=2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Tried the "upgrade" button but it hung every time fetching files (48 0f 52). I did a little searching and found the "alternate cd". I was able to upgrade with that. So far I am not all that happy with the performance but I need to work with it for a while. I think it would have been a good idea to uninstall compiz before I upgraded. We'll see.

Bill
    ubuntu 7.04, AMD Athlon XP2800,

Billquinn1

Beans

Upgraded (rather rashly) from 7.04.
    I have never, ever, ever upgraded within days of something coming out before. God alone knows what possessed me to do it this time. It's not been very pleasant, but I do blame myself for not waiting.

Problems

1. Swiftweasel
    Switfweasel stopped working. Seemed to hang after booting. If you just booted it up and did nothing, within 2 mins it was frozen. Had to use a Windows machine to search the web. Switched to firefox ok. I only used Swiftweasel coz I couldn't get Flash to work on Firefox. Flash seemed to work fine though now.

2. Slow web access
    I switched to Firefox and that at least loaded, but web pages were very slow when using URL's, indicating a possible DNS issue. Direct IP stuff (putty etc) was fine. Fixed by using opendns settings instead of your dhcp and disabling ipv6 (supplied by someone on these boards - about:config, network.dns.diableipv6=true)

3. Sound
    My microphone no longer works with Skype.
    Ekiga softphone has very poor, crackly sound.

4. Printer
    My USB Epson Photo R300 no longer prints, despite being detected ok. Tried all the suggestions on this board that I can find, Still dead.

Good stuff

Flash player seems to play without any audio/video sync issues.

Advice from my experience? I'd leave it a while unless this is your spare computer.

------
    Linux? It's certainly no worse than Windows Vista...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes, My install worked flawlessly, I had to install with the alternate cd, reboot to recovery mode and type in dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in the cmd and set the driver to VESA for my MSI NX6600LE Graphics Card"7.10 and earlier I cannot use the live-cd, I have to use the alternate cd.". nv and nvidia was making my screen all scrambled in colored blocks, How a member helped me and as well, helped my self, found the conclusion of using vesa driver.

I use gparted alot on an old system where is had no problems running gparted on my old pc, until i got this new pc that would not work with any debian based live-cd's nor would gparted live-cd's, until gparted came out with a new option's for different gfx cards. Well i ran gparted live-cd-0.3.4.8 normally and it crashed and somewhere it said vesa driver failed and in gparted main menu options i remembered seeing a option called force vesa driver, so i tried it and boom gparted works wonders, so I made a forum about this no-devices-found and mention that i got gparted working on a driver called vesa. I got a great reply and solution thanx to tseliot.

The Forum:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=531247

Solution Below:

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot View Post
    If you tried the livecd and you was not able to install Ubuntu even when using the Safe Mode:

1) Install Ubuntu using the alternate installation CD.

2) After the installation the xserver will crash

3) You will be able to boot in RECOVERY MODE from the GRUB Menu (select it using your keyboard) almost as soon as you turn on your computer (it will take you to the command line).

Then you will need to type:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and select the "vesa" driver. Press ENTER whenever you don't know the answer to a question.

4) Type:
    Code:
    reboot
    On next reboot the Xserver should work fine

NOTE: if the problem is not solved try using "vga" instead of "vesa" and try again.

If nothing works and the Xserver just crashes, please post the output of the following command:
    Code:
    lspci

Did it worked flawlessly ? Answer: Yes
    Did you got problems ? Answer: somewhat not that minor.
    Did you manage to solve them ? Answer: Yes
    if yes how ? Ubuntu Member and myself.

Beans

Upgrade from 7.04:

Before explain my problems, I would like to say that I discovered Ubuntu with the 7.04 version, and I am really happy with this linux distribution.

I had the AMD64 7.04 version working and with a lot of software installed.

First of all, I uninstalled all the software downloaded by automatix2 (switfox, ntfs3g...) and then the automatix2 itself.

Then I installed all the pending partial updates with the update manager.

After this step, I click in the 'update version' button, in top of the update manager.
    I don't know why, but there was some problems with the network update and the installation get stop in one file downloading, and the process stopped. I tried it some times but always it stopped in the same file.
    ( I don't have the error, message, my fault).

So, I decided to download the alternate ISO, and then I tried to update from this CD.
    the update process worked ok, or at least it seemed to be ok, but now, when I reboot the system, it gets stucked with the ubuntu logo and the progress bar only with a little orange mark. I haven't been able to see my new ubuntu.

Now, my idea is to save my user folder with the live CD, and make a fresh install. I will do it this week.

I totally aware that, with this little information is very difficult to know what was the problem, but I just want to write my experience here, for estatistics purposes.

Thank you very much.

My system:
    AMD 64 +3500
    SATA HD 200GB
    2 Gb Ram
    Geforce 7800GT
    Gygabyte Nforce4 SLI motherboard (I can't remember the model)

Page 55 of 176 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast