View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 54 of 176 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

My on-line upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy got aborted by intermitent internet connection. Overall upgrade seemed to transform into installation of some adidtional 1200 modules. Finally got them installed.

However, NVidia drivers did not work (used the Envy package successfully to solve that problem); next I'm trying to solve problem of microphone not working. Not all of new desktop enhancements are operational, but that is not a big deal.

Beans

Last edited by thinsoldier; October 24th, 2007 at 05:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by thinsoldier View Post
    I already had 7.04 installed and I downloaded the ISO.
    Tried to use the live cd but it seems that it won't upgrade my current installation and my only option is to reformat my ubuntu drive and start from scratch if I used the cd.
    Am I wrong?

Anyway, started my current ubuntu and used
    gksu "update-manager -c"

... ......
    .... and now I have to wait for 100+ megs of stuff to download. Why the F couldn't it just get that stuff off the 600+ MB cd that I already downloaded?
    Alternate not Desktop

Beans

I'm really frustrated, because I cannot get Gutsy to install at all.

I've purchased a new system (ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard with integrated ATI X-1250 graphics chipset, AMD AM2 4800+ CPU, 2gb RAM, 320Gb SATA drive, etc...) specifically to run Gutsy on, but it won't install.

It gets as far as trying to start KDM, but fails back to a text screen where the last message is "...Running rc.local.....[OK]". It sits there forever and gets no further (i.e. I've left it there for an hour, still no progress!). I can use ALT-F1 to select one of the other text screens, which is running a shell which is working, so the machine hasn't frozen - but the install has stopped.

However, installing Fedora 7 from DVD works flawlessly. It only drives the graphics in VESA mode, but everything else is just fine, so I suspect that it's something to do with the kernel supplied with Gutsy not liking the ATI graphics card at all.

The Feisty (7.04) install DVD also boots fine - I stopped the install at the point of partitioning the disks, as I already had Fedora 7 installed by that stage.

So, something is broken in Gutsy - not happy!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cessna View Post
    I'm really frustrated, because I cannot get Gutsy to install at all.

I've purchased a new system (ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard with integrated ATI X-1250 graphics chipset, AMD AM2 4800+ CPU, 2gb RAM, 320Gb SATA drive, etc...) specifically to run Gutsy on, but it won't install.

It gets as far as trying to start KDM, but fails back to a text screen where the last message is "...Running rc.local.....[OK]". It sits there forever and gets no further (i.e. I've left it there for an hour, still no progress!). I can use ALT-F1 to select one of the other text screens, which is running a shell which is working, so the machine hasn't frozen - but the install has stopped.

However, installing Fedora 7 from DVD works flawlessly. It only drives the graphics in VESA mode, but everything else is just fine, so I suspect that it's something to do with the kernel supplied with Gutsy not liking the ATI graphics card at all.

The Feisty (7.04) install DVD also boots fine - I stopped the install at the point of partitioning the disks, as I already had Fedora 7 installed by that stage.

So, something is broken in Gutsy - not happy!
    Try installing with Safe-Graphics mode, if that doesn't work, try the alternate cd.

Beans

I already had 7.04 installed and I downloaded the ISO.
    Tried to use the live cd but it seems that it won't upgrade my current installation and my only option is to reformat my ubuntu drive and start from scratch if I used the cd.
    Am I wrong?

Anyway, started my current ubuntu and used
    gksu "update-manager -c"

... ......
    .... and now I have to wait for 100+ megs of stuff to download. Why the F couldn't it just get that stuff off the 600+ MB cd that I already downloaded?

::update::
    downloads complete. Restart. Check System->About Ubuntu.
    Still says I'm using 7.04
    using gksu "update-manager -c" again

Ok, now it says it's upgrading me to 7.10

.... ... The waiting begins

::update::

AND WHAT A WAIT IT IS!!!
    1 hour and 13 minutes.
    It only took 45 minutes for me to download the .iso from mininova!

WHY DOESN'T IT JUST GET THESE THINGS OFF THE CD THAT I ALREADY DOWNLOADED !!!!!
    why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

*!*.... well, it's midnight.

**** this.
    I've got work in the morning.

Beans

Tried safe graphics mode and that didn't work either, but I'll give the alternate CD version tonight.

Thanks...

Beans

Upgraded perfectly from 7.04. Still dual booting XP because of software I need for school, but gutsy is probably the best thing in the world... I mean that THE BEST... the cube! I love the cube so much it makes me want to cry! And the paint on fire: what better way to express your frustration toward all the sludge on the internet than burning it? I haven't slept or gone to school since upgrading, I just can't stop playing with the cube...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Bluh. I can't even get the Live CD to run never mind install the OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Installed flawlessly as dual boot on a 2 HD system, consuming the second hard drive. Boots into both OSes (Windows XP, Ubuntu 7.10 i386) without problems.

Page 54 of 176 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast