View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 52 of 176 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I voted install went flawlessly. I did a fresh install from Feisty to Gutsy. Everything went fine. Set-up my wireless network, downloaded video drivers via the restricted drivers manager, downloaded xgl, this and that, and was off to the races!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Worked flawlessly for me. I went from Feisty to Gutsy. I have various 3rd party software and repos -- the upgrade simply disabled any incompatible repos. Compiz Fusion works great!!

The upgrade too about 6 hours, but that's just because it was day 2 of the release

Congrats and thaks.

Beans

laptop experience:
    * Synaptics touchpad horizontal scroll no longer works, no errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Desktop experience:
    * won't boot 2.6.22-14-generic nor 2.6.22-14-386, kernel crash during boot when trying to find my HD. oddly doesn't stop the boot process at that point, but will eventually drop to a shell since it can't find UUID=whatever. I can mount /dev/hda2 which is where my root partition is located. changing the bootarg root= from UUID (don't understand what that is about or what advantage it gives me, wish the install would STOP doing that - I know what /dev/hda2 is but I have no idea what UUID=c095f436-34f5-4532-80d1-9fe2867511ea is) to /dev/hda2 doesn't work either

* no window manager ever starts, have to manually start metacity (booted with 2.6.20)

* nvidia driver no longer works (again, booted with 2.6.20 since 2.6.22 doesn't boot) but used to before the upgrade. I have enabled the driver with the restricted driver dialog, but it never works. I have to use the nv driver which doesn't give me any 3D acceleration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

feisy to gusty
    Well, I had no X after the first reboot, I had no safe mode graphics just a nice login: prompt ... so I logged in and started gdm (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start), still nothing well, no, he cannot find the kernel module for my new kernel, so I installed open source nv driver, rebooted (to be on the safe side) and X started in safe mode I had no x, because I am a nightmare with graphics card drivers, so I guess it is my fault ...
    ... OK, in safe mode I clicked too fast (so it is my fault again) and had beautiful 1980's graphics - you know the res even my mobile phone can take 640x480.... there I try to access the "proprietary driver control panel-thingy" and get the message that drives me nuts ever since they implemented that panel - you need the "restricted blahblah" for this thingy to work !!! HELLLO, you silly panel HAVE admin privs, ask me if you may go and get it! I get it for the silly panel, get the nvidia dirver, reboot, tell him to enable it.log out log in and it works, yahoo!!! then I enable beryl eeerhm compiz-fusion, sorry and it all works. Now I have a second remark for the compiz-fusion stuff, just like the restricted driver manager, I believe it would be handy, if you get the compizfusion-settings-manager installed from with-in the appearance panel, as soon as you click on the Visualization tab and choose advanced vizualition, you should be asked if you want to configure advanced settings ..... and offer you to go get the settings manager .... I think this really loooks cool, works well - Nice work guiyz!
    Last edited by thecarpy; October 23rd, 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yes, indeed, who was the guy who told everyone else UUID's were the best thing since sliced bread???? I refuse to use that very-incredibly-no-really-ultimately-human-unfriendly feature you find in newer linux distros - what is that for? Maybe I am just old-school ... please tell me what that is for, ta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although it worked great on my laptop, Gutsy appers to hate my desktop, specifically after installing the restricted driver for my radeon 9800 and connecting a second monitor. I've given up all hope on getting the fglrx driver to work for now. Also, because my videocard isn't properly detected by the os, I get to see this "low-graphics" mode warning that offers me a seemingly broken GUI (at least it doesnt crash). Also, the settings in the xorg.conf appear to be ignored, and the aticonfig tool can't be used anymore. I'm going back to fiesty for now on my desktop. If you have a radeon 9800 vga card and dual monitors I reccomend you dont mess with gutsy yet unless you have time and desire for epic troubleshooting.

Beans

I must say this is a very solid release that has worked very well except for one little problem during the boot of the CD but it was minor. I have an Intel C2D E6550, 2GB of RAM, and an 8800GTS 320MB. Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty had many problems with my machine and i thought that would be the case again. Everything has worked flawlessly so far. When i booted to the CD the install went smoothly with a dual boot with Windows Vista. I installed all the updates and enabled my graphics driver which was where my system didnt work in 7.04 but this time it started up and desktop effects are enabled and everything is working great. Network working obviously, im on 1680x1050 resolution. Couldnt have asked for a better release. Great job!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I put upgrade--many problems. **NOTE** Upgrade to the beta this month, about 2 weeks prior to release.

Did the recommended upgrade route, it went through, seemed to work okay.

However on boot it would pop up the fancy loading screen then kick out to text and eventually hang on the Firestarter firewall (with or without my wireless card in). I was able to get into the alternate load, and from there uninstalled firestarter.
    However it now hangs on loading ACPI modules. Stumped at that so far.
    Thankfully I declined the option to remove all my obsolete software like Feisty, so I *can* boot into Feisty okay...though it's a bit confused as to it's identity.

So thats it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No vmware
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/155362

I also believe I was not warned about this. I was warned about some packages that wasn't available in Gutsy, and I was prompted with a list containing mostly libraries and xmms, I looked through the list and vmware wasn't on it.

I might be wrong though.

And yeah.. I tried to make a live CD first just to try it out. That resulted only in coasters. I downloaded the iso image twice on two different computers from two different servers (Sweden and Norway)
    Last edited by fridaythe14th; October 24th, 2007 at 01:10 AM. Reason: addition

Beans

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME ... I AT LEAST FIGURED OUT THAT THE ROOT ID CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM BUT I'D RATHER NOT HAVE TO LOGIN AS ROOT EVERY TIME I JUST WANT TO WATCH A VIDEO (especially considering gnome now gives you an nasty little implying that you shouldn't really login as root before allowing you to do so). Here's my problem:

A while back I posted about my upgrade problem with Gutsy. Everything upgraded fine but all videos, no matter what format (.avi .mpeg .wma, etc.) would cause whatever program I used to open them to freeze immediately (kaffeine, totem, mplayer). Could NOT figure out what was causing it.

Still can't.

However, I did discover that after giving my root id login access for into Gnome that all videos work for the root ID. Not a problem. Smooth as silk. So I thought maybe I messed up something with my other ID. Some setting. Not that I had did much as it was a fresh upgrade. So I created a new user. Hey, guess what? That user can't open any videos either.

SO WHY CAN ONLY THE ROOT USER RUN VIDS AND NO NORMAL USER ID CAN????

I really have to agree that Ubuntu upgrades really suck. I've been around faithfully since Breezy and every single upgrade has always been a mess and led to a fresh install.

Page 52 of 176 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast