View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 50 of 176 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Well, I did a net upgrade to Kubuntu Gusty... And I have to say that every went just fine until the reboot... When Xorg just crashed, I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M on my laptop so I kind of expected this... well... I just used the radeon driver till I installed the new version of fglrx which supports Xorg 7.2 and that was it...

And till now I've got to say I like what I've seen of Gusty this far...
    --danm
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gusty / XP Home
    Compaq M2000 AMD 1.6GHz 768MB RAM

Beans

Net upgrade from Fiesty to Gibbon worked great, including NVIDIA driver. System = Asus A5B motherboard (Jmicron controller), Inten Core2Duo, dual SATA drives.

I have a good (Univeristy) network. Took less than 30 mins from start to finish, and almost no work or thinking from me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have to admit, my attempted Gutsy install on my Dell Vostro went terribly, it hung up halfway and in doing so, left a good chunk of my hard drive unusable. This is a common problem with Dells, though, not Ubuntu.

After getting everything re-set, I did find an alternative for now. I have most of the programs I like under XP as well, OpenOffice, Firefox, etc. So when I actually need Ubuntu on the laptop, I have the latest Live-CD in my bag. Works great! Also, still faster then XP...sad, really. I wish the computer would handle an install better.

My dual-drive desktop will remain with 7.04 till semester's end, then I'll try upgradeing first, and have the Live-CD on hand to wipe it and start over needs be. That'll be mid-December, so hopefully the server rush will be over.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I had a bad feeling right before I clicked the "Upgrade" button in 7.10. I had read that Presario laptops were "fussy." But I ignored my instinct.

I clicked the button, let it do its thing, and when I went to boot into 7.10 from GRUB, it froze at the point where it checked the network manager.

I tried to reinstall fresh from a liveCD, and again it wouldn't boot past the network manager.

I reinstalled 7.04, and it's back to working perfectly.

I would like those five hours back.

If an upgrade has the potential to ruin your system, there should be a big warning on that upgrade button.

I am very, very irritated with the developers right now. If any of you are reading this, I have a question: At what point are the potential problems with a release great enough for you to delay it? This isn't rhetorical.
    12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu Studio is awesome sauce!"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I clicked the upgrade button in the Update Manager and had a similarly disastrous upgrade experience to some others here - it just stopped when it got to updating "tzdata" and refused to do anything else. I left it overnight to see if (by some miracle) it would restart but it didn't.

However, I did have a 100% successful attempt at installing Xubuntu 7.10 subsequent to this.

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Well I could not vote more than one time but my experience so far:

One IBM T22 laptop with Xubuntu, no problems at all

One old Fujitsu Siemens laptop with Xubuntu ok except that I had to do a manual dpkg-configure
    Even my old Zyxel wifi card (Orinocco ?) worked.

Desktop with Kubuntu, Asus mobo and ATI 9250 graphics, not perfect, insisted on a screen size my old Ibm T545 screen can not handle. Had to force it to 1024x768 and bypassing the test screen. Also had to manually configure xorg.conf, I have upgraded before so I had a backup.
    As a summary, not to bad but I really would like to see an upgrade where i don't have to fix
    Xorg problems. PLEASE !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I installed a fresh install.
    Had some problems with my ati video card, that made the screen funny at times.
    Was not to hard to fix
    Registered Linux User 456421 , Registered Ubuntu User 18138

Beans

I upgraded and it took forever but everything seemed OK at first. Well almost, after the restart I went to a black screen and had to hard reset. But after that it booted up fine and I installed ATI's driver with no issue

The major snag I ran into was I was having trouble playing video with Kaffeine, which I prefer over others. I open it up to watch an .avi ad I get a message saying it could not use opengl. I switched to something else (shm, I think). I looked around and found some info but couldnt fix it so I tried some other video files and was having issues viewing them. I believe this is an issue with xine.

I didnt really see any legit reason to stay with Gutsy and go through the effort to solve the problem so I restored my backup and am staying with feisty for now. That being said Im a geek who gets off on solving stuff like this so Ill probably wait a week or 2 and then do it again when Im ready to put the effort into making it work.

Mainboard: MSI K9N4 SLI-F
    Video: ATI X1900 AIW
    Last edited by margaf77; October 23rd, 2007 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've clean installed Gutsy 3 times now but keep going back to 7.04 . First was the internet connection to get working with USB ADSL Modem manager as it wouldn't work in Gutsy Steven Harper who created modem manager got on to it quickly and sorted it out . Once I had a connection to the internet I thought I would be able to get everything working but no music will play other than ogg files and the codecs wont download and when I tried Firefox and needed the flash plugin for youtube it would not download the plugin. So at the moment I'm posting this using 7.04 .

Beans

I am in the middle of updating to gusty on one of my older computers and it said something like I might have to restart KDM by hand or something.

So all I would do is just go sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm right?

If worse comes to worse I could just put in a live cd and copy my newer files that I did not back up I guess...

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Page 50 of 176 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast