View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 39 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I saw the upgrade and clicked the button around 0730 MDT - around 1130 MDT the files finished downloading and installed.

The only issue I had is with my wireless networking. I use WPA with an RT 2500 chipset, and had used RUtilT to configure it. After the upgrade, RUtilT didn't work. After some talking with the developers, they suggested installing network-manager and using wpasupplicant. That worked - I'm connected through that wireless connection as I type this!

I really like the new version. The fonts seem cleaner - it's easier for me to read.

Beans

When I start the upgrade through Adept, it downloads the upgrade tool which says "> Preparing the upgrade" and downloads a few files, then hangs every time on "Fetching file 57 of 58" (though the numbers sometimes change, it always appears to be the last file. I have removed all extra repos from my apt/sources.list, I have tried several different mirrors, all have the same problem.

Wah. Judging by the polls, I'd say gutsy needed a few months more testing before release

Beans
    Hidden!

IBM T30 with M7 ATI. Now the 3d effects don't work at all.. Tried to fix it with no luck. Then the network manager applet kept crashing. I am going back to 7.03 for now.

I am going to try the upgrade on another computer I'll post any problems. Since it won't be on a system I need for work I will work the bugs out on it if they happen.

Jay
    Last edited by Astinsan; October 22nd, 2007 at 05:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Due to gutsy's cupsys thingee not wanting to download, I got an install error that I thought for sure was the end the world. The install ended right there when that popped up. It didn't ask to be rebooted or anything, I'm sure the little status bars showing that it had to do stuff still weren't full. Yet here I am. All the new gutsy stuff (no compiz stuff due to old hardware) like pidgin and other little things are here.

I rebooted, it continued to run. A few days later it's still going. I plan to wipe this machine in a couple weeks and start fresh anyway, but hell the gutsy upgrade worked as far as I can tell. I know I had more issues with my edgy and feisty upgrades. More robust? I dunno. I'm happy with it so far!

Beans

Gutsy won't see my IDE hard drive that was previously used on 7.04. Deleted partition, created it again, even tried installing windows on it to recreate MBR on disk to see if would be found after that but still no luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emergingtechnologies View Post
    This is for a Gateway laptop:

When the upgrade option failed for the tenth time, I decided to download the image and go with that.

The first 3 images I downloaded had bad hashes! That was a drag, as each download took hours and hours.

I finally got the correct hash from the Mexico download site (the US ones did not work -- at least the ones I tried.)

So... the live CD with the correct hash actually started to install but froze at the detecting kernal moment -- usually at 52% -- sometimes at 60 %. I tried this disk over and over.

Finally I downloaded the alternate version so I could do the text install, hoping this would work.

The image was good.

The install went well. IT SEEMED.

When I was asked to restart, I could see the login screen and entered the correct info.

Then the screen started to flash, as though the system were looking for drivers or something... well... it went black and never came back.

I don't know what to do.

It has been 48 hours of trying to intall 7.10 and now I have a laptop that has Gutsy on it but somehow I cannot see the desktop (or anything) after I log in.

Advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Should I go back to Feisty?

Help.

I solved the problem by re installing 7.04 -- with the new install of 7.04 I did not run into the problems getting the upgrade to work.

presently running 7.10

Everything is fine now.

Beans

Why on Earth is this out of beta? Attempt at upgrade was an incredible pain with errors and unexplained disappearances from Adept. Finally got it upgraded only to discover that plugging in any usb device (external hard drive, wireless, mobile phone) generates kernel panic and subsequent system freeze. Fresh install produced the same. Solved that after looking at the logs by passing "irqpoll acpi_noirq" to kernel at boot. Usb devices now worked but looking at the logs again made me give up - kernel was generating approx. 30 error messages a second - my /var partition would be full in a couple of months and I have no desire to waste any more time trying to fix it - back to feisty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Installed both 32-bit and 64-bit.

The 32-bit had some minor screen resolution and sound issues, but the 64-bit only had the sound issues. All of these were very easily fixed.

I'm impressed by the improvement between feisty and gutsy. I have much faster boot and shutdown times and the integrated compiz fusion is already making me much more efficient than i was before. The stability is also improved too (from my point of view).

Nice Job Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

few minor problems but over all very happy with the result.....pc runs alot smoother now with a new fresh clean os on it rather than it's old virus deased windows xp crap....thanks ubuntu...but i think as this is the worst pc in the world i will go with xubuntu next time so it runs even smoother.....
    Desktop - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Processor, 3GB DDR2 RAM, Running Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

After upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10 Firefox hangs for a long time. I have disabled ipv6 and tried re-installing Firefox but it was a bust. I also had to reconfigure xwindows to get it to work. Other than that everything else went pretty smoothly. I haven't played with all the other stuff yet but I will let ya know if anything else is foo-barred. Nice job, the upgrade went off without a problem. I am running a HP dv8000 laptop with 1gig of memory, 64 bit Turion AMD dual core processor, Broadcom Wireless, Realtek network cards and 200 gigs of storage.
    Last edited by proghead; October 22nd, 2007 at 06:33 AM.

Page 39 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast