View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 37 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by NEUR0M4NCER View Post
    I was completely new to Linux a month ago. In that time, i've learned how to navigate using terminal commands, and some of the likely causes of problems when stuff goes wrong. I was wary of upgrading to Gutsy 'cause... well, Feisty was working so d@mn well. I guess i'm ballsy, so when I initially installed Feisty, I did no backup, no preparation for things going wrong - to be honest, i'm not even sure I had a kosher XP disc to hand at the time...
    Hahaha... That could have been me posting that, word for word!!

I have XP installed, but on a separate hard drive entirely, so I just jumped in went for it -- installing Gutsy on the secondary hard drive right over my old Feisty install. Reformat and reinstall, baby... No going back now!!

Problems Encountered (using 64bit version, by the way, on a homebuilt PC (AMD 4200+ X2 proc, nVidia 8800GTS, 2GB of Corsair RAM on an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard):

#1: Like so many others, my first hurdle was the dreaded "Black Screen"/no splash issue. My heart sank a little, but removing the splash screen and re-configuring X got me up and running... Just not without some hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth. Once I got the nVidia drivers installed (Envy soooo rocks my Linux world!!!) everything was kosher. I'm stuck with no splash screen, though, since as soon I put the "splash" option back, it's right back to the black screen o'death. It's a minor thing, but annoying nonetheless.

#2: Sound issues. My sound would come and go. I'd boot and everything would be fine. System sounds, music, videos, everything. I'd reboot and everything would be gone. Someone posted something about tweaking some of the settings in the Volume Control (related to Audigy soundcards) and that SEEMS to be working (crossing fingers).

#3: My Logitech USB keyboard does not seem to be recognized until after Gutsy has booted. No entering GRUB menu from this keyboard (!!), so I have a secondary keyboard that uses a PS2 connector installed and hidden away for "easy" access to the GRUB menu, should I need it. Not a huge issue but annoying.

Installing drivers, additional software, etc. continues to go just fine. No problems with network detection, my iPod, Compiz-Fusion, or anything else except as noted above.

So, all in all, a couple hitches in the giddy-up but nothing a little tinkering didn't resolve.

I'd like to see a fix though, so I could have a functional splash-screen, have my USB keyboard recognized and I'm hoping the sound issue has been fixed permanently.
    Last edited by Therion; October 21st, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: ...

Beans

I had trouble with the 64 bit version so as fare as that goes it would be -
    Install - worked but had few things to solve
    With the 32 bit version it all worked very well for me so that would be -
    Install - worked flawlessly
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/140908
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sh/+bug/147623

My experience with gutsy 64 bit was not good.

Beside the above install issue that apparently as followed the ubuntu 64 bit version for some time I found it to be what I consider unstable in terms of applications crashing on me, including nautilus.

As for the usual extras stuff as codec, flash or running a 32 bit browser for java (until it gets supported with the next release I guess) that was all fine.
    I had some trouble with wine but that might have been due to that I initially used the drivers from the nvidia site, (the drivers need to compile with some 32 libs to behave with wine or something to that effect) which I got use to with feisty instead of the Restricted Drivers Manger that now supports my card.

So as fare as applications, for instance VMware which is important to me, the 64 bit version was in terms of support and usability fine.
    My main issue as already stated was that I found gutsy 64 bit unstable as in applications crashing something I have not been use to concerning ubuntu in the past.

I will say that I do run other 64 bit distributions that has been working quit well for me which was in fact why I decided to for the 64 bit version with the release of gutsy.

Maybe gutsy 64 bit just got it in for me maybe I am just unlucky.

Anyway I ditched the 64 bit version and went for 32 bit instead which is fine for now and 32 bit gutsy has been working as expected for me.
    Maybe next time around ubuntu will be 64 bit for me as well.

AMD X2 5200+
    M2N-SLI Deluxe
    8800GTS

As a desktop user I will always want to upgrade to the latest version available for many reasons, new applications, new features, hopefully better performance, where's the distribution going? etc. The software world seem to move very fast.
    If I at some point found that the latest release did not work for me I would consider it not to be an option and replace it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Have a laptop fujitsu siemens amilo pro v 3515. Downloaded the desktop cd. It won't start.

It's hanging in the display driver (i think).

Anyway the desktop cd is not working. Am downloading the alternate cd and see what it does.

Added 5-11-07

Alternate is installing after setting the right video mode with F4 at the startup screen. 1280x800

After installing the you must boot in to resque mode and do
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    some say to do it with option -phigh but then it did not adjusted the frequency lines wich is the bottleneck for this installation.

If you want to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by hand ad the following to the section: Monitor
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"LCD-screen 1280x800 Amilo Pro v 3515"
    	Option		"DPMS"
    	HorizSync	28-64
    	VertRefresh	43-60
    EndSection
    i use the vesa driver

After all i got things working
    Last edited by popeye; November 5th, 2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Finally succesfully installed 7.10
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't happened yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Gutsy is not handling my monitor very well at all. I installed the 64 bit version and had so many problems that I reinstalled with 32 bit Gutsy. It has the same problem with over brightness. It makes the fonts hard to read and even spills over into the images. At least, everything else is working in 32 bit. There are many apps that are no longer in install/remove that I can't even find in the synaptic package manager. I Have decided not to upgrade to Gutsy on my Celeron machine. I know that the problem is not with my monitor, as my AMD machine dual boots with Mepis, and Mepis remains clean. I am a huge fan of Ubuntu, and do not intend to sound overly critical. I will leave 32 bit Gutsy on my AMD machine for a while to see if I get some bug fixes, or figure out how to deal with the monitor, But as of now, Gutsy looks like a downgrade instead of an upgade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The upgrade worked. Downloading the files was slow (50 -100 kbs).

The only problem that I know of so far is that the title bars of application windows do not work when I click on System --> Preferences --> Appearance --> Visual Effects. During the upgrade, I was notified that Desktop Effects would be uninstalled, which I agreed to the uninstallation. However, there is still a Desktop Effects listed in the menu (System --> Preferences). Also, Advanced Desktop Effects Settings was not initially in the Menu system and I had to add this manually.

I am unable to run any level of Visual Effects even though I successfully ran Feisty with Beryl/AIGLX. The problem still persists and has not been resolved yet. I will be sure to update this post if and when it gets resolved.

The lack of Visual Effects is disappointing to say the least.

Al

System Specs:
    Gigabyte Motherboard
    AMD 2200+
    Nvidia GeForce 7600
    1 Gb RAM
    Long time ubuntu family user. Current Desktop System: AMD, 16Gb RAM, 1.2 TB Storage, Xubuntu 18.04, AMD Ryzen 1600, AMD RX 580 8 Gb. Current Laptop System: Lenovo x220 with Bodhi Linux. Current HTPC System: LinHES

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I upgraded the Wednesday night before the 17th when I noticed that the server came online. It took 1.5 hours for download and installation and it went very well. All that was required was to DL the nvidia stuff and everyting worked great. I was surprised to have my Bluetooth mouse hook up at start up, and the wireless connect promptly.

Firefox required a few tweaks but was none the less effortless due to the fact that we have been dealing with these same issues for a while now (Flash).

I love the new Gutsy and look forward to the next LTS.

If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Up to now I tried with 7.10 x64 CD, DVD and alternate CD (always 64 bits). I nothing... I always get a black screen and the keyboard lights blinking.
    (AMD 64, ATI X800Pro and Viewsinic 19" LCD)

Beans

I am having lots of trouble with the ati driver. No problems in Feisty, even beryl worked. Had to go back to vesa for it to even work. Otherwise the screen violently shakes.

Beans

Upgrade - worked flawlessly !

everything worked and works perfectly after gutsy upgrade on my old Compaq Armada E500 laptop...

Beans

I've been watching this, and even posted several pages back. Looks like the theme here is slightly older hardware = success, newer hardware = problems (especially video).

No word from the dev team and the inability to install 64bit Gutsy on my brand new 64bit hardware have had me pricing Vista for the past few hours...

Come on dev team... RESPOND TO THE ISSUES WITH SOMETHING !!!

Page 37 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast