View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 33 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by braindead_in View Post
    Faced a couple of issues after the upgrade.

EVMS package issue
    These Launchpad comments annoyed me:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott James Remnant
    I've summed up the situation in more detail here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Evms

This hopefully explains why we've chosen to drop support for and remove evms, and what the underlying problem is that causes this bug.

I've also confirmed that updating from dapper *does* cause the removal of evms (see the screenshots on that wiki page), so I'm content that users upgrading to 7.10 will have evms removed unless they try hard not to (e.g. because they're using).
    Well, no. As documented at the Wiki, here's what the notice from update-manager says:

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu
    Support for some applications ended

Canonical Ltd. no longer provides support for the following software packages. You can still get support from the community.

If you have not enabled community maintained software (universe), these packages will be suggested for removal at the end of the upgrade.
    I read this, and I think "So, they've moved some packages from main to universe. Who cares?". I had universe enabled anyway, and that description makes it sound like I wouldn't even be prompted to remove them in that case. But I was. So, having read that innocuous-sounding notice, I told update-manager not to remove them. Result: On reboot, I lost my home directory.

What the notice should say is "Removal of these packages is strongly recommended," or even "If you don't remove evms, you'll probably break your system."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

installed flawlessly.

i could've upgraded on my laptop but went ahead and did a clean install. worked just fine.

Beans

[Kubuntu]
    Upgraded from alternate CD and STILL, some things were downloaded :-\

Adept proved to be somewhat less than usable compared to synaptic, so I temporarily installed synaptic updater to do the upgrade.

That aside, only minor issues:
    I get that whatever was close to kernel and wasn't in ubuntu repositories had to be reinstalled (which would rebuild the kernel modules) - in my case, this was vmWare Server 1.0.4 and Moblock - this was downgraded, as the author is having trouble getting the new versions to compile on gutsy.

Unfortunately, upgrade asked to change some configuration files - modules blacklist, kdm config, acpi settings etc... I could refuse to have them changed, but I didn't want to take chances of something breaking, so I had them changed - this left me with the problems I had with my first installation (resume from suspend, etc...) but since I already know what to do, making the changes once again should be a breeze...

All in all, it wasn't trouble-free, but still less of a hassle than installing a fresh system and customizing it/installing 3rd party apps etc...

Beans

same problems ive been having with versions 601 thru 710
    i believe it has a lot to do with my adsl modem

no printer ,, used bobsongs postings on brother mfc printer

no internet,, disabled ipv6 in firefox

had to install some pppoe settings and tweak network settings
    but for a free operating system its still the best compared to other higher priced options

works for me

very happy thankyou ubuntu people

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unusable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a)
    Before the updater window closed I read:

fatal IO error 9 on xserver
    I have a feeling that this is related to a getdeb package that just came up in a dialog window just prior to the upgrade crashing.

Along the way there was several questions to replace or keep (things that most people have no clue about) did I choose incorrectly?
    /etc/login.defs
    /etc/blacklists
    /etc/default/rsci

The big question... now what. If I reboot my system, it's probably really messed up. What to do while I'm still on the desktop.....
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Just upgraded my Toshiba Portege 4000 from Feisty to Gutsy. Have to say it went smooth as can be. Out of the box everything I use worked (don't use the modem). Glad they've reintroduced the orinoco_cs kernel module as this would have stopped me dead without wireless. I love Gutsy it feels even better than Feisty. Still need to work out how to get Suspend and Hibernate to work though and I still cannot reboot I couldn't reboot in Feisty either, must raise a bug against this as Windows 2000 and Windows XP could both reboot this laptop before I removed them after upgrading to Gutsy Now all I need to do is update my main laptop, an Acer 9303 to Gutsy.
    My Blog
    Aopen MX46-CU / P4 2.4GHz / 1Gb RAM / 80Gb & 500Gb HDDs / (Karmic Desktop)
    IBM NetVista 8319 / P4 1.8GHz / 768mb RAM / 80GB & 320Gb HDD (Hardy OpenVZ Server)
    Samsung NC10 / Atom 1.6GHz / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD (Karmic Desktop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just ran the update. It took about 40 mins or so, then restarted, and i was expecting issues with my triple monitor setup... surprisingly, it was fine. So far, the only thing's i've had to do have been reinstall my nic driver (i'd installed a custom one because of a bug in the feisty standard) and disable ipv6 (why is that even enabled by default??).

All looks good now.

Cheers for all the hard work guys!

Beans

I did an upgrade through update manager from 7.04 to 7.10 today and many things failed during the installation process.

For example: sudo and login failed to update along with countless others which I'll not name because I didn't write them all down.

Needless to say I'm about to wipe my system and install 7.04 back onto it instead and I'll wait for 7.10 to become more stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Couldn't be more pleased with the upgrade. It worked flawlessly and didn't mess up things I had on the computer like Code::Blocks. Great work guys n gals.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Upgraded from Edgy to Feisty a few days ago, but ufortunately this broke my tar backups, a problem described in tar bug 18487. I hadn't actually wanted to move to Gutsy yet, but doing so fixes the tar problem which was fairly critical.

The only Gutsy issue was having to fix mdadm.conf on the fly, post-upgrade but before reboot. (but then I always check this - as well as /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab as a matter of course).

Post-upgrade, also experienced a cryptsetup problem, bug 139635, as /usr is not part of my root filesystem but modifying startup scripts to temporarily mount /usr early fixes that in the interim.

Almost everything else is working, including tar, Palm sync and USB digital camera detection. The only other issue is KMail which now freezes when composing mail (before any SMTP connection is attempted) - was working perfectly before. Perhaps rebuilding the kmailrc config file might do the trick? There's webmail in the interim, and the less desirable Evolution if Kmail can't be fixed, so this isn't a critical issue.

In conclusion, I don't expect perfect updates and this certainly wasn't one, but overall it was manageable and resulted (with user intervention) in a working and bootable system, so I'm a happy baby.

Page 33 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast