View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 26 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by gridsleep View Post
    Installing 7.10 on third SATA drive in a 64-bit dual core system. The GRUB seems to be screwing up. On the drive is a 450GB NTFS partition. I am putting the Ubuntu root and swap partitions in the remaining 50GB. If I tell the installer not to install the boot loader, the installation proceeds, but then I cannot boot into Ubuntu even if I pick the third drive from the boot list (F8 on my ASUS mobo.) If allow the boot loader to install, then the installation fails with a read/write error. I do not want GRUB on my Windows XP64 drive, but on the third drive. I have tried directing GRUB to install on hd2, sdc, /dev/sdc, /scsi2, and have even allowed it to install on the default hd0, which made me nervous. In each instance, the installation fails with a read/write error. I have had a previous instance of Ubuntu installed in this space when I was running the first two SATA drives as RAID and that was a nightmare installation, believe me. Ubuntu does not like other operating systems in a RAID when it tries to install the boot loader to only one of the RAID disks. I had to unplug both RAID disks and just have the third SATA running during the installation. I would hate to have to go through that mess as I have to move my heavy server case to open it and unplug SATA 0 and 1. That kind of hardware hacking should not be necessary with a sophisticated operating system. What is the trick to getting Ubuntu to install with Grub on a third SATA drive?
    Afterward I selected the third drive to boot, just for S&G. I got the message Operating system cannot be loaded. Oh, I thought, well, it looks like the boot loader went onto the drive after all. So, I went back out and reinstalled the Ubuntu without the boot loader. The installation proceeded without fail. When I tried to boot from the third drive again, I still get Operating system cannot be loaded. Seems there is a glitch with the Grub installation under my particular configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

This post could be related to an Ubuntu bug filed at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/121487/
    ----------------------------

I had two problems after upgrading to 7.10.

One has to do with Gnome PPP doesn't dock to notification area or minimizes and hangs at authenticating staying in the desktop displaying "connecting" although it is already connected and I'm able to surf the net. This bug is reported here as bug #121487 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/121487/

The second problem is when switching the appearance visual effects to Normal or Extra all windows (browser, folders, etc) loose the borders and top border (where the minimize, maximize and close buttons are) being impossible to drag, resize, and do other functions associated to the borders, so all windows stay in the middle of the screen, without the chance to resize or move.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

well my 2nd laptop runs gutsy fine no problems except user error. i do have one issue with my desktop running xubuntu if you click update manager then terminal it clicks and has you log back in other than that i like gutsy and i will fix that problem some were
    linux lubuntu machine dell dimension 4300s 1.6 p4 with 1gb of ram runnint peppermint3 compaq 2.5 p4 1gb of ram running peppermint3 dell optiplex 620 2.8 pentium d 2.5 gb of ram running linux mint 13 maya cinnamon desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I wouldn't have done the upgrade if I relied on my Ubuntu computer for my everyday work, but this machine is just to play around with and learn, so I risked it.

Did the Upgrade rather than clean install. It took about four hours, but there were no particular problems.

After a day, I can say that I don't see enormous practical differences. It looks a bit different, but performs about the same. It didn't magically fix anything that was broken, or , as far as I can tell, break anything that had been working.

Then again, I hadn't tried every single function of Feisty, yet, and I won't be using every single function of Gutsy. It doesn't surprise me if people run into individual things that won't work any more.
    Last edited by Kappity; October 20th, 2007 at 10:43 PM.
    Dell Desktop with Ubuntu 8.04. Two Macs.

"Proverbs contradict each other. That is the wisdom of a nation."
    Stanislaw Lec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The download process took awhile, but only because everyone was getting their hands on 7.10.

Did a fresh install on an IBM A30 notebook w/ P3 and ATI mobility card and everything worked perfectly first shot, even the wireless. Had to use a restricted driver for the modem, but it works! How cool! Dualboots with XP no problem.

Upgraded my workshop Dell (also an XP dualboot) with Ubuntu Studio. Again, took awhile, but flawless. No problems or restricted drivers. Everything works great.

So far, we are real happy with the improvements. Great job Ubuntu team!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Its been over a day and I can't say there are any problems. Except I went to try and use the Screens and Graphics in Ubuntu, it messed things up. It may have just been user error. I was using the Nvidia Settings Manager and I should have know better then to play around with things when it as working ok. I wanted to make the 1440x900 my default screen so programs would open on that first and not the 1280x1024 crt on the right. In short the Flatron Widescreen ended up flickering badly and the crt just stopped. No big deal. I just booted up the livecd and replaced the broken xorg.conf file with a back up.

Somehow the Firewall problem I was having is fixed. Every time I booted my computer, in 7.04, I went to shields up to make sure everything was true stealth. It never was. I would have to run Firestarter quickly, uncheck the ICMP, except and then check it again and except. Then I would go back to Shields Up and everything would be true stealth again. I have no idea what caused it but it is working fine now. I don't have to do all that each time I boot now.

But besides for my screen and resolution screw up everything is running great. I love Compiz and it is more organized and easier to get use to then Beryl alone was.

However. I do have to disable Compiz when I run WoW or other 3D games. I have a low end 3D card, Nvidia 6200, and it can't handle all of that at the same time. Dammit Ubuntu Team, now I have to go out and buy a better 3D card, Nvidia better send you a thank you note for MAKING me have to buy a better card, .
    Last edited by American_Outcast; October 20th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

Upgrade worked, but the screen configuration is broken.
    I have an IBM T42 (ATI radeon) with an external CRT. The multi-monitor X configuration does not work right. I am not able to configure the screens and resolution properly. Overall this is a very frustrating experience... and it was the same sort of problem with the upgrade to 7.04 as well... why can not they get the graphics setup straight... Microsoft had it for years.

Beans
    Hidden!

Desktop installation on a P4 2.0 with 1Gb and Intel 845 video works reasonably well. This started as a clean Tribe 3 install and has all of the updates. Suspend to RAM does not work, which irritates me a lot, but I can live with it. If I enable DRI, scrolling is unacceptably choppy, so I don't do that and live without enhanced desktop effects. Cannot get dual monitors to work at all.

Clean Gutsy Xubuntu netboot installation on my Toshiba 3490CT resulted in a system that was unbearably slow - CPU usage very high all of the time, applications taking minutes to load. Even the installer ran very slowly - choosing items in the partitioner took many seconds to get a response. I did a clean Dapper install on the machine and it flies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kappity View Post
    . . .
    After a day, I can say that I don't see enormous practical differences. It looks a bit different, but performs about the same. It didn't magically fix anything that was broken, or , as far as I can tell, break anything that had been working. . .
    Okay, I feel kind of dumb now. It hadn't occurred to me to see if it magically fixed the wireless. It did. I'm now connected wirelessly, using a Belkin USB wireless network adapter. Time will tell how reliable it's going to be, but under Feisty it wouldn't connect to my home network at all.

I'll also have to dig out my Netgear wireless PCI card. Feisty couldn't even read the memory and see that it was there. I verified that it's still good by sticking it in a Windows computer at work. I don't have it handy right now, but who knows, maybe Gutsy fixed that, too.(later update, it didn't, but at least the USB adapter is still working)
    Last edited by Kappity; October 21st, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
    Dell Desktop with Ubuntu 8.04. Two Macs.

"Proverbs contradict each other. That is the wisdom of a nation."
    Stanislaw Lec

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to share your experience installing/upgrading gutsy.

Did it worked flawlessly ?
    Did you got problems ?
    Did you manage to solve them ?
    if yes how ?

Feel free to post your experience here and think to explain how you solved the problems you got, it might help other users in your case.

Thank you for contributing
    If you have an Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller, a quick way to make your gnome session to crash is to run glxgears in a terminal. The same happens with Google Earth. But *STRANGELY ENOUGH* is that in my particular case the same gears display Ok as the cube gears as part of the compiz cool efects that can be enabled if you have compizconfig-settings-manager 0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1.

Please check my post in the Desktop Environments forums "Google Earth crashes and restarts X session"

Page 26 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast