View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 23 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

After a couple false starts I upgraded my laptop to 7.10 using update-manager. It seems to be running better than it was under 7.04.
    ****BGCB*****
    GCC/O$ d--(+) s+:- a- C++ L++>+++ W++ K- w O? M V? PS- PE++ t 5 X R(+) tv+ b++ DI++ D G e+ h--- r+++ z+++
    ****EGCB*****

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm actually having problems with a fresh install of Gutsy (a la this post), and I think I might reinstall feisty and upgrade that way; at least I might keep my shutdown button.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi everyone. I know alot of people have been having problems with like graphics and stuff, but i have to say, i just did a upgrade last night, and i have had no problems (aside from the fact that i dont like pidgin ). This is the first upgrade i have done for a new version, when i had dapper i could not upgrade to edgy cause of errors. My upgrade took about 13 hours, not because it was slow, but because i went to bed while it was downloading. Luckily it didnt all install overnight (it hanged on a question that you have to click on, until you clicked it). I am very happy that the upgrade worked, i tried the live cd, and when i used that, i would keep getting graphics problems and it couldnt find my fiesty filesystem files. So, my opinion is that if you can, do the upgrade.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 10895
    My Computer: P4 HT 3.04Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 6600 256Mb AGP, 1GB DDR2 533Mhz, hda1-120Gb-- Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty, sda1-250Gb--Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well I have performed one upgrade on a machine at work and worked pretty well. The only problem I have on that machine is that desktop effects won't turn on, but other than that works good.

Did a fresh install on my main machine at work, and everything went great.

Just tried a fresh install on my laptop, and not so much.. I get the black screen at boot, the extremely long boot, and then anywhere from 5-30 of use it just locks up. I really like a lot of the new features in 7.10 xubuntu, but looks like I will go back to feisty for a little while longer.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgraded to 7.10 today, 20oct07. Upgrade worked OK, however, I hoped I could use my:
    Gigabyte GV-AG32S ATI Rage 128 pro graphic card and my
    ACER AL2002W 20" Wide Screen LCD monitor.
    Alas, not to be.

I eventually removed the Graphic Card and reverted back to my built in SIS 965L video chip set.

After much playing with settings and trying, the best I can do is run in 800X600 resolution.

Autodetect can not find either my monitor, my ATI Rage 128 graphics card or my on-board SIS chip set. Any other manual setting I select fail test and make a jumble out of my screen.

I will just use in 800X600 mode for a while and see if a 'fix' can be found.

Nice Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I upgraded and every thing looked fine until I went into the Add/Remove... If I try to click on the Flash plug-in for Firefox it just highlights the row but won't actually put a check mark in the box for installation. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll likely just make a symbolic link again for this to work but I would like feed back on this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Upgraded today in about 2 hours start to finish after sorting out my repos. Everything works very well - even wireless! so no fannying about with iwconfig and ndiswrapper for hours as in the past

No dounbt i will be spending a few hours mesmerised by my rotating cube

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by locketine View Post
    upgrade went really slowly, probably because everyone else in the world was also upgrading from feisty.

The upgrade removed beryl from my computer which is unfortunate because I'm already missing some of the cooler effects that aren't included with fusion like the magic lamp and fast window select. But at least it's more stable.

Firefox got seriously messed up which might be because it was open during the upgrade. Basically it froze every couple of seconds while browsing just about any site, with the exception of this one. The fix was to rebuild my mozilla profile by renaming .mozilla in my home directory.
    Hi

I'm new to Linux, and have just upgraded to 7.1. I'm facing the same problem. Please tell me how you fixed the problem, in a little more detail. I mean about Firefox.
    Thanks in advance
    Rajan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Upgrade was very difficult. Kept crashing after 6 hours or so with error code 2 and blaming the network. Tested internet speeds at 3,600+ kb/sec down and 600+ up before and after each failure - wasn't a problem at my end.

Downloaded the CD's (32 & 64 bit - both wanted to install, neither offered to do an upgrade. Eventually upgrade manager accepted that stuff was on the disk. Took about 36 hours for the machine to finish, not sure if it is a whole upgrade, but Update Manager seems happy.

Both CD's offer better resolution when booted than I get from the system as upgraded on disk. Wifi still an issue.

All things considered, since it's a home system, and I did absolutely NO prep work, I can't complain. On the 'pro' side of my life I have paid big bucks for the same amount of trouble without being able to complain on-line at the end of it all or use the systems without re-installs from scratch.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I had my system to a fairly workable level, though I was having the network disconnect issue that nobody seems to know about.

I managed to get all the Intel widescreen issues resolved using the old i810 driver and 915resolution, though I noticed glitches at shutdown, and the brightness would go nuclear after playing anything using gxine.

So, I had been watching the forums for gutsy horror stories and it seemed pretty calm, so last night I upgraded. My video is back to 1024x768, after the initial upgrade my network was okay, but after downloading the updates, it will no longer connect, and all the options to repair it seem to involve being on the internet (which I can no longer do since the thing won't connect.)

I see from the various polls available here that very few people had a great experience, the vast majority are reporting some variety of problems, and a good margin of those are reporting major problems that remain unsolved.

Page 23 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast