View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 20 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I had few problems save for the kernel - 2.6.22 refuses to mount several filesystems at boot time, which were previously mounted by UUID. this worked fine in 2.6.20-16, which I'm using now.

I can mount them manually after booting into single user, but that isn't a solution, and the console is constantly flooded with message about dm-mapper unable to find devices (the messages are gone now or I'd paste it in)

I've never had a problem like this in my life ...

UPDATE: purging the 'evms' package solved the problem
    Last edited by kelt65; October 20th, 2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Upgrade worked flawlessly. Started it last night before I crashed and burned, finished this morning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My upgrade went well, only things that does not work is:

- VMWare server
    - Soundcard not detected anymore (intel ICH7 chipset), it used to work in Fiesty

Apart from that Gutsy looks great

Beans

Upgraded to 7.10 from 7.04. Everything but Visual Effects works (but, I am using onboard Intel 950 graphics). MadWifi via Restricted Drivers, and I haven't tried to sort out if NetworkManager will connect, as I use a hidden ESSID. WiCD works well, though. Seems to be faster overall, but I haven't gotten into loading extra stuff just yet.

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 motherboard
    Pentium D, 915
    2X512MB Kingston DDR2/533 for 1GB RAM
    Western Digital SATA 80GB HD
    LG Electronics Flatron Widescreen, 19"

I did like the fact I didn't have to upgrade the driver for the graphics, and was able to select 1440X900 resolution without any tweaking.

Beans

I had some trouble upgrading due to dependency problems. However the terminal gave me advice to run dpkg --configure -a, that worked so I was able to boot up and I'm still setting up/fixing up this old box.

I now have full printer support for My Canon MP600 which is cool, that was what I was one thing that I was hoping that the upgrade would handle.

I had a problem with a program called EVMS, it was causing my processor to max out at 100% although the puter still ran fine. So I removed rebooted and now everything seems fine

Beans

Fresh install= big problems. With an upgrade, all went fine: Look here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583071
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν= Know Thyself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I installed gutsy on 2 machines:

1. Dell Inspiron 8600
    Nearly everything worked flwlessly out of the box, which was a nice surprise, as the feisty install wasn't so easy.
    + no problems with 1920x1200 resolution, worked at once without tweaking,
    + the restricted driver for the wireless card installed itself without problems (after asking for my consent of course) and connected to an access point secured with WPA - very impressive, no manual tweaking with ndiswrapper, wpa-supplicant, etc.
    - suspend doesn't work out of the box, maybe it will after some tweaking, we'll see,
    - I see no improvement concerning battery life over fiesty - it's still much shorter than under XP.

2. A desktop PC with AMD64 4200+ in a CrossFire configuration with 2 Radeons 1900 XT
    It was a disaster. Desktop install didn't boot, even in safe graphics mode. Alternate install did finish in the text mode, but after reboot X could not start - hung after the "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)" message.
    Eventually I managed to start X in some kind of safe mode after some tweaking of xorg.conf and running things like "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow" a few times with various parameters (vesa, ati).
    Then after installing the ATI restricted driver X started as expected in 1920x1200 resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I had no problems with the upgrade. I upgraded to the RC several days ago and downloaded all the updates during that install. Everything is working fine.

I had hoped that the new tool for setting your screen resolution would help me manage my use of an external monitor at work, but I still have to switch out my xorg.conf files when I switch between my work setup and my home. As this was the case with feisty, I don't count this as an upgrade issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It worked flawlessly. I have an older Dell Dimension 4550 two ide hard drives Windows installed on the second drive and Ubuntu on the first. I used the update manager and waited my 8 hours for the download to complete. Only real complaint was all the dialog boxes during the install waiting for confirmation. I always chose the default and wished there had been a timeout on them so the install would have completed by this morning.

torgrot

Beans

The upgrade worked but not flawlessly.

The system would not complete apt-get update. I had to changes my sources from us to ca to get it to work.

I was stuck at bulletproof X. I would not set my monitor correctly or install the restricted Nvidia driver properly. I fixed it by

Quote Originally Posted by m2006h View Post
    try this:

Modify /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common to skip unnecessary kernel modules.

DISABLED_MODULES="nvidia nvidia_legacy"
    After I did that my system allowed me to install the restricted driver and turn on desktop effects.

everything else updated perfectly

Page 20 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast