View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 165 of 176 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Flawless upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10. Ubuntu asking to use the proprietary driver for NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 was a pleasant surprise. My specs:

VAIO PCV-RX770 - 2.20 GHz, 120 GB 5400 rpm HDD, 1 GB DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5500 128 MB

Kudos to the Ubuntu Project for making this possible.

Flawless. Even been able to enable desktop effects. I was never able to do this in gutsy, didn't think the graphics card was up to it. Inspiron 5150 with an Nvidia FX 5200 graphics card [32MB].

My desktop just turned into a TV set.

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

A few weeks ago a friend sent out a link on the paper shredder windows vista install... which is the best way to run Vista by the way. Anyway, on the same page was video showing Ubuntu with the Beryl graphics and it got me thinking about Linux again. I have had nothing but problems with Vista with the final straw getting a corrupt boot sector from taking out a data drive to copy files quickly and then putting it back and not being able to boot Vista or repair the loader.

So I backed up my files, "upgraded" vista to XP Black (XP distribution that looks like Vista but runs like XP) and installed Ubuntu on another hard drive. I figured I might need XP for games at some point and by putting that on first you get the boot manager all set up for you by the Ubuntu installer. The installation was for the most part painless. I burned an iso from the website and just booted on the CD. It even lets you run Ubuntu from the CD Rom to check out if you want to see it.

I clicked a button to install and then chose the option to install it on the second drive with the boot manager on the xp drive and that was it. The whole install ran in about 15 min (1/2 the xp install time!) and everything worked but the sound. Had I looked at the site first, I would have seen the X-Fi drivers have not been released yet. After the install I was already online and the download manager said there was like 200 updates. Clicked install, and downloaded them, installed them and the system was ready to go after one reboot. Once I discovered the X-fi problem, I pulled that card out and put in an old Audology 2 card and the driver was installed without me having to do anything and I heard sound on the reboot.

The support forum for Ubuntu is excellent so looked around there to find a few things like the sound problem and GyachE. I also loaded up the VLC Media Player which can be found in the package manager and it automatically downloads the latest version and installs it. Open office is also preinstalled which opened all my word and excel files without problems. It even found my windows xp shares on the network for my DVR PC so I was able to bring sound and video files over with a drag and drop just like Windows. I was also able to easily set up my HP printer which I shared on the PC as well.

So all in all I’m very impressed. I still need to put in Beryl but I’m basically up and running in about 3 hours and could not be happier about Ubuntu. I opened the terminal just to check it out but I’m completely up and running without typing in a single text based command. Linux has really come a long way since the last time I was running it and Microsoft should be worried about what companies like Ubuntu can give away for free. Its a better product all the way around, it runs so much faster than Vista on my machine.
    Last edited by FunkSoulStrange; March 16th, 2008 at 06:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hi there,

I've installed the Ubuntu 7.04 last weekend using the wubi installer on top of my XP.
    Was very impressed with it. It basically did everything for me, much easier then the XP install.
    Couldn't get the LCD TV to work with it (and still can't...)
    Did the upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 yesterday.
    Now I can't get Evolution to check my hotmail emails (and they were working on the 7.04)
    The network shows no network devices... but as I can post it i do have a network..
    Also each time it starts there is an error: unable to start the HAL.
    Maybe if I can fix some of the issues I have. Possibly need to learn a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I did have a problem upgrading from 04 to 10, The screen went blank (ahansol tft screen. I changed to an old CRT monitor changed the values, restarted with the original system and it works perfectly !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Then, new system , have problems with the network. There is a Wlan system on board sometimes is seems to work and see the router, the next time after a restart all is back to nothing.
    I have no clue of what to do anymore, it is an ASUS motherboard 64 bit .
    What values in which fiield and where do I start. The wlan network guide does not realy help.
    WKR,
    Jaap

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I had no problems setting up a dual-boot enviroment on my laptop. The only problem (although minor) was setting up my wifi card and also that Ubuntu stalls on startup sometimes.

Beans

Hello ubuntu forums!!!!!

I posted on here some time back when I was first installing the last LTS version on an extra computer I had laying about but for all intents and purposes, I'm new.
    I have a Compaq laptop that is about 6 years old. It runs Windows XP decently. I also have a Dell desktop that runs Vista decently. However, I was in the mood for some linux, At first I just fired up that old PC I had but it just wasn't working out because of where it was in the house and everything. Then I got the stupid idea of putting it on the Lappy.

Now I have installed the OS on the Lappy more than once but always as XP and only XP. This time I thought I might just get silly and keep XP while simultaneously installing Ubuntu. using the last LTS disc (6.06 I think) I got the installation done only to find out I couldn't work wirelessly, pretty much a deal breaker. I did a but of googling and found that I totally did not understand what I needed to do to get my Broadcom wireless card to work. Then I came across the advice that it was much easier with this latest version (7.10 I think). I found the install disc online and downloaded it.

I thought that as I loaded it, i told the computer to delete the partition that the older version of ubuntu was on, That appears to not be the case. The great news is that I did get it installed and about a half hour later I got all the instructions and downloads I needed for my wireless card and here I sit some time late, working wirelessly typing my love letter to Ubuntu.

I don't make any promises of community involvement, I've made that mistake too many times. However, as of this moment, I am quite excited by the whole thing, I'm sure I'll have piles of questions, some of which will appear on these forums, as tune the system to meet my needs.

Thanks to all the folks who work on this project. I believe I owe you all a round of drinks.

Beans

I initially upgraded when Gutsy came out. Upgrade went fine, but I'd had a few problems with Feisty, which I tried to fix and realised there was tons of effort involved, like getting my sound card to play sounds from more than one application at once. Installing Gutsy didn't fix these problems because it left all the settings the same as they were on Feisty.

I recently stuffed up my Gutsy installation by experimenting a little too much, so I decided to wipe clean and reinstall. This fixed all the problems. I still had to use ndiswrapper to get my wireless card to work, but the sound card now works perfectly. So I recommend a clean install if you have any problems with Feisty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

my install worked great and Im a first time ubuntu user. the only thing I had to work out was flash and movies thats it

dell dimension 8200
    768mb ram
    nvidia GeForce FX 5500
    2.60 intel cpu

Page 165 of 176 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast