View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 161 of 176 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

After I voted for "Install - worked but had few things to solve" I decided I should have really picked "Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve".

One annoying problem is that when I first installed it, it botched the Grub menu.lst file and wouldn't boot. The disk partitions were completely wrong. I had to boot with the CD and go in and repair it by hand.

Then the next time that the Adept Manager upgraded the kernel, unbeknownst to me it trashed the menu.lst file again, so when I rebooted it wouldn't boot up again. Worse yet, when I went in to repair it after booting off of the CD again, it left no trace of the working menu.lst so I had to recreate it again.

Now, I have made a copy of the menu.lst file with a different name so that when the upgrade erases the working file, I can put it back without having to figure it all out all over again. And I have to try to remember to do it before I reboot so that I don't have to go to all the time and hassle of booting from the CD.

Another problem I have had is playing Flash videos, like on YouTube. When I first installed it, it would just hang Firefox as soon I tried to view a video. I searched on here and tried to find a solution, but nothing seemed to fix it.

I don't know if one of the upgrades fixed it a little. Now I can sometimes watch a few videos on YouTube before it hangs and I have to kill firefox. The really annoying thing that just happened this week is that one of my banks has a flash video on their home page and that started hanging firefox. I had to make several attempts before I could successfully log in.

Now, the reason I logged in today is because I am now having trouble reading the memory card from my camera. This has been working fine for months and now suddenly it is broken. I am going to make a separate thread for this problem to see if anyone can help, so I won't describe it any further here.

<soapbox>
    I kicked Windows to the curb in 1998 and have been using Linux for 10 years now and Ubuntu/Kubuntu for almost 3 years. I really, really, really want Linux and specifically Ubuntu to be a success on the desktop. I want it to be a viable alternative to Windows for anyone and everyone.

I think that is why it is so disappointing to me when I have some problem that is frustrating to me. I have been doing the computer thing since the 8080 running CP/M and if I'm frustrated, I can only imagine how a non-geek will feel.

I should clarify that I am not saying that Linux hasn't come far in the last 10 years, it is hundreds of times better than it was. I think that it possibly more frustrating because it is so close, but just these little things like the memory card pop up.
    </soapbox>

-Scott

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

7.10 downloaded and installed to dual boot on a spare computer with Vista installed. The process worked flawlessly. The first challenge was to make wireless networking function with my version 1 Linksys WUSB54G. This proved too difficult and a Sweex LW053 was sucessfully installed with ndiswrapper and very usefull help from the wireless forum. The forums and the documentation seem to have all the answers I need. A big thankyou is due to everyone who has contributed to this amazing resource.
    Jairichard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just wanted to take a minute to add on here that my install went smooth as silk.

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, and only a bit more seasoned w/ other distros.

There was a blog post that was especially helpful after installing GG so I figured I'd share it even though I know it's been around for a while. (Most of this stuff is shell which isn't intimidating after the learning curve)
    http://www.danielandrade.net/2007/11...g-ubuntu-710??

The only things I have left is to figure out how wine works and get my dual screens up and running.

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (overclocked to 3.73GHz)
    4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 Using 2 (2)GB chips (can upgrade to 8GB when needed since I have 4 DIMMS)
    Dual 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    I only set up 10GB for the Ubuntu drive. But I plan on increasing that space after the migration ******* increases..

Beans

couldnt do desktop effects...installed xserver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My first encounter with Ubuntu was 7.04. Only issues were wireless networking, which were finally resolved - but not sure how I did it. Everything worked great! Loved it!

Second experience was with the upgrade to 7.10. Not fun. I still can't share files or print, but, it is geting better. I think I've figured out what I need to do next. I have samba working windows to ubuntu, but not the other direction. I also had wired and wireless networking problems, but had my son fix those. On a separate machine, the upgrade messed up my grub file, which, thanks to the forum I was able to fix.

I've got a question, how will the new version's upgrade go???? I'm sticking with it. I can't wait! I do hope some of the networking and printing issues will be resolved.

I just want to add that the forums are a great help! I'm dangerous on the computer and did do some beta testing years ago, so when things happen, I know I can find the anwers here. But I'm still trying to learn the commands to get around in terminal mode. I did use unix back in the 80's/90's, so some of the commands are coming back.

Keep up the great work!
    Knitmom
    running dual boot Gutsy/XP on laptop
    running just Gusty with wine on desktop

PS: I've even convince my daughter to use ubuntu and she loves it. She is not much of a geek, but it is much faster than XP for all of her myspace stuff!
    Last edited by knitmom; March 5th, 2008 at 06:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The upgrade was ok, but always after upgrating to a new ubuntu version i spend about a weekend to solve the problems...

Some apps was not working anymore, some devices too (scanner don't work anymore, but was working in 7.04)...
    10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD!"
    20 GOTO 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Installed Ubuntu for the first time a while a go.
    I must say that I did find the install procedure as such very easy, but did have many problems to get add ons to work. In particular my wireless broadcom card proved a tough nut to crack. Having said that, I am impressed with the eager support and extensive advise I received whenever I shared whatever Ubuntu issue I had with the folks of this forum.

Despite the start-up problems, I will never look back and ,though still a newbie,have come to really like ubuntu. I have ditched windows all together from one of my machines, and I hope that Ubuntu will with time mature into an operating system that will easily replace windows.

I can recommend amyone with a bit of computer sence to give ubuntu a go, though I cannot recommend it to anyone who just wants something that works "out of the box". It is not as easy as windows, but by sticking with Ubuntu for a good while you will experience the advantage of a free operating system, that is as flexible as a you could ever wish for and as safe as Fort Knox ....

Beans

Clean install with data migration from a previous install on another partition. Only trouble I'm having is (surprise-surprise) getting the video to cooperate properly, but the basic install is a breeze. Even for a rookie like me.

Beans

Question Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have gutsy 7.10 working alone on my pc. I had MAJOR troubles with the mouse disappearing/system hanging. I have a radeon adapter w/ BenQ FP931 monitor! I used the info on your forums regarding the radeon setup for xorg.conf - they did not help. Finally, I tried bumping up my processor AMD to 1.1 GHz and turned on optimization. Now, with the radeon updates for xorg.conf the system seems to be working. My TROUBLE now is that I actually do own a Lexmark Z42. From looking at the opensource printer site it looks like the 'good printer' driver considers my printer obsolete. Do you know where I can get the old z42 driver? Or do I need to buy a new inkjet printer. If so, what are a couple relatively inexpensive ones that work with your drivers? Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

how do you thank others here? i see this, but i am curious how. i would like to thank those who gave me good advice.

Page 161 of 176 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast