View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 145 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Worked fine on Del D620 but had problems on IBM Lenovo T60.
    T60 had an ATI Graphics Card, unfortunately for which there is no open source driver.
    Had problems on T60 with desktop effects and blank screens furing startup.

Fixed em by :
    1. Removed the default quiet setting in grub. Now I can see Ubuntu booting
    2. For desktop effects installed xorg-xgl

Also there was a wierd problem with the setup. It stopped at 15% [detecting filesystems] while trying to install it on a external SATA 200G HDD. Had to reformat it to make it work. ;(

On Dell D620 it worked fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

On my Toshiba Satellite 1805 the Xubuntu 7.10 install froze the whole system during the graphics setup phase. Had to power down to recover! 7.04 does NOT have this problem and (re)installs well!

Interestingly DreamLinux 2.2MMGL has a similar problem in the graphics setup phase while a previous version did not.

I can't get ANY version of Puppy Linux to install on this machine even after extensive troubleshooting with the developers.

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Why do i need internet access to install from alternate-cd installer ?
    It always need apt to get linux generic , and since i don`t have internet i can never install :/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi All,

Just to let you know about my installation. I upgraded from 7.04 when 7.10 was released (feels so long ago now). Could not do a direct upgrade, had to create an CD (for PC's not connected to internet, alternate?). Anyway, went through first time no problems. Upgraded with no problems.

BUT since upgrading none of effects work anymore. Even scrolling with them turned off is 'jumpy'. This was a huge regression as I had been using compiz flawlessly since June 07, only to lose it all. I hoped that future updates would have solved this, but no. Maybe Hardy will bring them back, but the monkey has disappointed on this front.

Other then that, everything is brilliant. Better GUI, easier installation of all sorts of files. A great package and probably the best release I have used or installed except for the above 'eye candy' problem.
    Currently running LXQt on;
    - Packard-Bell Imedia S1800 PC [2010, Dual Core Pentium E5800, Nvidia GeForce GT 620, RAM 4GB]
    - Dell Inspiron 15 3521 [2013, Dual Core Intel i3-3217U, RAM 8GB]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by victor9098 View Post
    BUT since upgrading none of effects work anymore. Even scrolling with them turned off is 'jumpy'. This was a huge regression as I had been using compiz flawlessly since June 07, only to lose it all.
    You probably didn't loose any Compize settings or anything like that, but rather you most likely lost your restricted drivers for your video card. I assume you have an NVIDIA video card? If so, reinstall the restricted drivers to restore acceleration. If you do that, your Compiz should be enabled again. Or at least, you'll be able to enabled it again yourself.

Beans

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

better than a vista upgrade. all i had to do was use the app to load the wifi driver and configure the interfaces file to keep the wpa settings and that was it. i mounted my nas, windows printer share and now i'm working on the netscreen vpn connection w/ openswan. so far so good and now to convert my clients. thanks to all here as this forum is the how to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Being brand spankin' new to Linux and Ubuntu I was very impressed with how well everything went. Especially since I built the tower it is running on myself. Not that I doubted my building skills, but I had heard scary stories about older distros of linux and hardware compatability. Ubuntu even recognized a HDD I installed since I installed windows that windows couldn't see. Since Ubuntu asked I used the whole other 120 GB HDD for Ubuntu. My new best friend is Ubuntu v.7.10.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when it's free" -Linus Torvalds
    I know HTML- How To Meet Ladies

Beans

Background:
    I'm a windows user. I used 9x to play games, had some good skills with fixing problems hardware/software wise. Use XP now, love customizing things like MirandaIM, Firefox, and windows itself (uxtheme patch). I have some very basic knowledge in C++,javascript, html, css, but I'm not a programmer really.

Anyhow, curiosity made me install Ubuntu yesterday

Results:
    Install attempt 1: Failed miserably getting it to dual boot. I'll write another post explaining the problems I ran into... eventually restored the MBR to just boot XP as it was before and started over.

Install attempt 2: Decided to put linux on the same HD as windows with LiveCD, could not get the partitioner to work! Quick version of the solution: unmount the drive, run gpart, then run the setup again.

Third time's a charm!

Install 3 went flawlessly Booted to the beautiful Linux (ubuntu) desktop for the first time...

All in all, I am really excited to be using Linux, and it's going relatively well for a first timer, but here are the issues I've run into. Again, I'll make another post for each of these so I don't write a novel here.

-Couldn't play mp3s at first
    -Can't watch DVDs
    -Found it very difficult to customize the windows (appearance and settings) for RhythmBox and Pidgin
    -Couldn't find files that were mentioned in the forums (turns out they were hidden!)
    -iPod had to be restored using iTunes after I added music from rhythmbox to it
    -So far have found plenty of support for the installation of ubuntu itself, and then plenty of support for advanced things like setting up servers, terminal stuff, scripting, etc... What I have NOT found is "Welcome newbie!" material.

What I mean by that last part is this: You know how when you first install windows you have to de-crappify it? I have a pretty standard routine for getting someone going on a new windows PC, so they can watch movies, listen to music, go to websites that use flash, pretty basic stuff. I kind of show them what stuff I usually use, what modifications I make, what tips and tricks help save them time, etc.
    ---so what is that routine for Ubuntu? I mean, what applications do people typically use? What changes do I need to make from the defaults to get going (checking off that other 'pository box in the add/remove application window to show a bigger list of apps for example)...

Conclusion:
    After about a day of using Ubuntu, I am back in XP right now writing this. I like my windows theme (Studio 28, using UXtheme patch), I like my desktop widgets (rainlendar calendar, ObjectDock), my MirandaIM, and my Winamp...
    That being said, I do plan on booting back into Ubuntu shortly, and trying to get the hang of it. My first project will be to make a new and improved version of the desktop I already have with Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have experience with Gutsy and set it up on a new machine. Absolutely painless but I was aware of how to find codecs through non default repositories. My only problems were with a Lexmark X5150 all-in-one. The printer worked fine, the scanner does not have a Linux driver, so no scanner. I understand that Dell are more Linux aware and they have all-in-ones that do work fully under Linux.

One thing that amazed me was I tried an old ATI Rage graphics card, real ark stuff, expecting it not to run. It was on route to the bin. It just went and so its still in the pc. I think it has a massive 32Mb of video ram on it! I used an AthlonXP 1 GHz cpu running on a fsb of 266 MHz. Runs a treat and you would think it was on a fast architecture machine. It's nearly as quick as my dual core 4200+ rig. I recommend breathing new life into old boxes with Ubuntu, just forget about Compiz for now though.
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

7.10 will not install or boot

Standard graphical install didn't get far at all. Alternate install completed, but system will not boot. Haven't managed to solve the problems, as it's hard to know the questions to ask, especially without error messages.

Can't find any documentation so far on the install, or on booting, e.g. grub, where to look for errors, the difference between normal and recovery mode.

... and I've been using computers for 20 years !

Motherboard: GA-MA69GM-S2H, CPU: AMD 64 BE-2350, 1GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SATA drive.

Page 145 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast