View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 141 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I finally upgraded my Dell Inspiron 9100 Ubuntu 6.06 LTS system to 7.10 as 7.10 seemed be a stable (in my instance) as 6.06 LTS on the Dell Inspiron 9100. Below are the details (from my personal installation log).

Dell Inspiron 9100 Specification
    3.00 GHz P4 processor (Hyperthread)
    1024 MB RAM
    80GB hard drive
    NEC DVD + RW ND-5100A
    Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 graphics card
    BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
    BCM4401 100Base-T
    Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse
    Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard
    Epson Perfection 1200
    HP Color Laserjet 2500
    AC'97 Audio Controller

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on the Dell Inspiron 9100. I installed directly off the Alternative CD, in Text Mode. I installed as a dual boot with Windows XP. I created a single "/" partition and a swap 2GB partition. I modified /etc/fstab to prevent WinXP partition being mounted
    automatically at boot up.

eth0, 10/100T, used as primary network i/f at time of install.
    eth1, Broadcom a/b/g detected. Once installed, Restricted Drivers added and wireless card worked including use of WPA security.

Installed Restricted Drivers for graphics card.

Notes on soundcard. On Inspiron 9100 "Headphones" controls the main speakers & "Master Mono" controls the sub-woofer speaker. Set the Volume Control applet to adjust the "PCM" volume by default so that main & sub-woofer volumes do not need to be altered to control the overall volume.

An Audigy 2ZS Notebook pcmcia soundcard was inserted and seems to have been detected automatically.

Added Foxmark Bookmark Sync addition to Mozilla Firefox by downloading from Firefox web site. Added Macafee SiteAdvisor to Firefox.
    about:config
    browser.backspace_action 0
    network.dns.disableIPv6 true

The Universe and Multiverse repositories, Hack #60, are already enabled in 7.10.

Installed Canon BJC-8200. Printer automatically detected. Set as default printer using default settings offered by System -> Administration -> Printing. Set server to: show printers shared by other systems; share published printers connected to this system; allow remote administration; allow users to cancel any job.

I could not get the PDF Printer to install correctly.

Installed Epson 1200 U scanner. Xsane automatically detected it and used it.

Hack #40 Prolong Your Battery Life: [After installing the applet, it complained that the hardware did not support the cpu frequency function.] This was resolved by:
    sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector
    sudo modprobe p4_clockmod
    sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
    Consequently:
    cpufreq-info
    reports information on processor(s).
    Also inserted the line "p4_clockmod" at the end of /etc/modules. Selected "on-demand" from list of governors. Rebooted for new governor to take effect.

Hack #69 Protect Your Network with a Firewall. Installed iptables, fwbuilder and rcs. Created a firewall rules set called "self" using the local host rules. Implimented as described using rc.local:-
    sudo apt-get install iptables ssh
    sudo apt-get install fwbuilder rcs fwbuilder-doc
    mkdir .fwbuilder
    fwbuilder
    Use workstation template to create vanilla firewall, compile and save, exit. Then:
    sudo mkdir /etc/firewall
    cd .fwbuilder
    sudo cp tux9100.fw /etc/firewall
    sudo /etc/firewall/tux9100.fw
    Add /etc/firewall/tux9100.fw to end of rc.local, using nano:
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local
    Check with:
    sudo iptables -L

Although I had installed automatix2 I did not use automatix2 to install mplayer plugin for mozilla as this does not play RealPlayer stream from the BBC. Instead I downloaded and install RealPlayer10GOLD for Linux. Remember to run ./realplay to set up and configure player.

I did not use automatix2 to install Totem-Xine media player. Instead I used command line:
    sudo apt-get install totem-xine

I have also installed 7.10 on a Dell Latitude 510 without any problems. The Dell Latitude 510 install even seems to allow the "Normal" visual affects work. The Dell Inspiron 9100 does not allow the visual effects to work at all and must be set to "None".

Thanks to all those who worked on the distribution.

[The Hacks referred to above are from "Ubuntu Hacks", J. Oxer, K. Rankin and B. Childers, O'Reilly 2006.]

Arkhitekton

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I just voted Install - Worked but had a few things to solve. Under your definition (which is fair) I'd have to say that my install worked flawlessly.

I couldn't install from the live cd without going to the install with driver update option. I don't have a driver update cd but I found it was the only way to install ubuntu. I didn't insert a driver or other cd when asked I just pressed enter and it carried onto the install page. Everything installed ok... I presume

I downloaded the live CD from a link on this site. I did this because I updated with the update manager , I was using 6.10 I think, but I got a blue screen on my lcd. I presumed the install has messed up, I have read some advise to do a clean install rather than update, but later I found out it is a boot fault with the splash screen. I lost a hard drive in the process, re installing back to 6.10 etc... not very happy as its a major balls up in my book.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried to do an upgrade first but that failed miserably. So I did a full install. Besides having to get back all my old stuff it went very smoothly.
    "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
    - Martin Golding

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Hi
    I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit mostly OK.
    But: it didn't recognize my old & faithful 'Samtron' screen (had to 'Ctrl+Alt+'+' during install then set screen manually) then it found the "in'et" but Firefox couldn't get though (had to set IPv6 in Firefox manually via 'about:cofig'); now my Add/Remove Applications 'thingy' [Tech-term! ] says it needs to refresh but stalls at 7 of 19 (I'm sure there's a work-round somewhere.).
    The "Big thing is":
    'it work well on the hole'!
    'it's free'!
    'it's free from "Big-Brother"!
    & there are lots of friendly people willing to help (not a call-center of stranded answers)!
    Thanks
    d0m.

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I'm a Windows user trying out Ubuntu on a repartioned NTFS drive.

Install was easy compared to past Linux installs (Red Hat). I partitioned an NTFS disk using Partition Magic. Installed off Live CD.

Comments:

* Please add drivers for Hanns-G LCD monitors. Mine works with the default LCD monitor settings but the visual quality is poor around text (and yes, I do have sub-pixel option turned on). Other users are reporting problems.

* Documentation site could probably do with more detail on why you don't support proprietary drivers as this is standard for Windows users, and believe you are trying to attract them!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by RegularSlinky View Post
    * Documentation site could probably do with more detail on why you don't support proprietary drivers as this is standard for Windows users, and believe you are trying to attract them!
    There are several problems with proprietary drivers, some of which are substantial and some of which are arguably "nit-picky".

• First, some proprietary drivers are good only for Windows. There is no simple way to "crack" something like that, and unless the user base is large enough, or the cracker is dedicated enough, it won't happen.
    • Proprietary drivers are often binaries (as opposed to text files). It's kind of like trying to hook up a travel trailer to a hitch that doesn't let you see if you really hooked up.
    • Some open-sourcers are adamant that they will run no closed source stuff on their compus. Of course this is a bit like vegetarians telling us not to eat meat because they don't, but this is why some people "feel the need" for open source drivers.

Now of course there is an assumption in your post that is common with many newcomers to Linux or any open/free source project. Amazingly enough some of us are not all that anxious to convert the Windows user to any *n?x distribution.

First, there are valid reasons to run Windows. Not as many nor as powerful as Microslop would like us to believe, but there are good reasons for some users to be using Windows or Vista.

Second, it's not really a popularity contest. Well, I should modify that: it's not really a popularity contest except to people who really ought to get a life and talk with real people face to face on a daily basis.

Third, and I'd say most important, Linux (in particular) is much more secure as long as it is a second or third choice operating system. Yes, I mean that: if you want to have a safe system hooked up to the net, you are far less likely to get an attack if you are running an unpopular OS. How many attacks have you heard of in the past 5 years that knocked out a Kaypro, Atari ST, or Amiga?
    Group effort survives by virus-like morphing. It dies by inertia of convention.
    The weight of our past will eventually crush our ability to modify our behaviour and production. Unless we change yet again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi. My Ubuntu 7.10 install went just fine, but I had a problem getting the right driver for my Intel 82845G graphics card. I had to use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg at the terminal because I couldn't get past a blank screen trying to boot, but after changing the video driver everything seems to be working correctly now.

Beans

I'm a first time Ubuntu user, coming from a short stint with OpenSuse 10.3. I'm otherwise somewhat new to linux (tried Red Hat about 7 years ago).

I have to say, I am very very impressed. Ubuntu is first class linux. There are no comparisons that I've seen. Things just work!

Kudos to the Ubu team!!!!

The only drawback is I don't know how to pronounce Ubuntu ... ooboontoo, uhbuhntoo, etc LOL

I just say Ubu !!!

I've had problems with my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro driver (the proprietary driver), but that's ATI's fault. I'll never buy ATI again. And, I had to install the multimedia stuff. Other than that, I can't stop going on about Ubunutu!

Regards,
    Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have upgraded from Feisty Fawn Gutsy Gibbon directly using Update Manager but some administrative functions did not work properly any more. Desktop functions were damaged. xterm started with error codes.

Thus I did Gutsy Gibbon fresh-install.

Issues: Installation of video adapter driver and Adobe Flash Player must be automated. All users are suffering from boring manual installation procedure. This will definitely improve the reputation of Ubuntu.

Page 141 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast