View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 137 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

It was quick and easy, but with the CD I originally burnt I couldn't figure out how to start with an encrypted hard drive. Once I switch to the alternate install, encrypted with LVs was an obvious choice. If that had been on the regular disk, I'd only have had to go through the installation once. Etch presents this in its installation. Why does Gutsy bury it? Thanks!

Beans

I recently upgraded from 7.04 and so far it works flawlessly. Very user friendly.

Beans

I asked to have gutsy install and was told that it would take two hours to download the install. Naturally, during a two hour download, there is a high probability of problems occuring. Particularly since a two hour download pretty much implies I'm going to do the download while I'm sleeping. In this particular case, the download was interrupted by a storm and hence power failures. Naturally, I expect the download to pick up from where it left off and continue on its merry way. Think WOW patch upgrades.

When I returned to my computer after power was restored, I saw the upgrade icon. Left clicking had no effect -- it should have some effect. Right clicking and selecting show updates has no effect -- it should. Right clicking and selecting install or check or start package manager all result in the message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dkpg --configure-a' to correct the probelm.
    e: _cache->open() failed, please report
    Of course, I ran the requested command in a terminal and stuff was printed out rather quickly and then the terminal screen was cleared, and the problem persisted.

And, the fact that the message I quote above cannot be copied to the clipboard really sucks. That's the kind of crap I expect from windows. The fact that I was offered the opportunity to copy the above message to the clipboard but still couldn't access the message doubly sucks. What is the pop-up window in which that message is displayed on gnome, and do you have to go out of your way to prevent the text from being copied to the clipboard?

So, my experience is: Wow! what an incredible piece of ****. And if you're offended by that -- do better next time. It's a valid, accurate representation of my experience.

Beans

While trying to do the gutsy upgrade, I got a message telling me to run 'sudo apt-get install -f'. (Of course, I got the message in one of those pop up windows that you can't copy text from. Yuck.) When I ran the above command, I got a bunch of output and then the following interaction occured.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `root' in statoverride file
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    That's a fairly crappy error message. What's a statoverride file?

So, anyway, the gutsy gibbon update has now officially screwed me over. I can no longer make forward progress now that my system is so screwed up.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Tried to use the upgrade options from the "add remove" application. Upgrade started but failed with the error message being that acces to two files wasn't possible due to "some network error". My network connections seem to work fine though.

oldsoundguy is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been told long ago that doing a full upgrade or flash FROM THE WEB is a bad idea. And found out once on a dial up modem years ago just why! Trashed the modem.
    I never update from the web. I download the file FIRST, check the file for errors or (in the case of WinDOZE programs, virus and malware) and THEN do the install. IF that requires burning the program to disk, so be it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I live in Turkey, the package manager is (by default) connected to the Turkish server. I tried to update with it, but it was far too slow, and it would take days to download all the data. Then I selected Main Server, and it worked flawlessly. I can't figure out why the data is more than 800MBs, I also use Pardus Linux, and when i try to update its kernel, i download 30-40MBs. 800MB may include software updates and new softwares but downloading them from the update/package manager is easier for me, i don't want to install all the data at the same time (I know that i can stop downloading, but anyway), just kernel.

800MB is way too much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Un-usable, but I believe that it's mostly th way I'm trying to use it. I'm trying to set it up on a portable HDD, and on the second HDD of my family Windoze PC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by revanthedarth View Post
    I can't figure out why the data is more than 800MBs (...) 800MB may include software updates and new softwares (...) 800MB is way too much.
    Yup, it's the updates to everything, Open Office, etc., etc. This is one of the main advantages to Ubuntu, in that everything (Open Office, GIMP, Firefox, etc.) is included with the installer, and handled automatically by the software updater. This is useful for those who don't want to worry about what software to model. Without this model, you may forget to update GIMP or some other app if you never use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ordered a 7.10 disk (Thank you Canonical!); repartitioned SATA drive; ran it as a livecd to check it out= no dialup modem support, funky 800x600 resolution (GeForce 7800gs card) but ran fine. Took the plunge and did a clean install. Same funky resolution; sound cut in and out during desktop loading. Ran ok. Updated everything; installed codecs and nvidia-glx-new with the "Restricted Drivers Manager". PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!! X crashing randomly; screen resolution wouldn't stay, full screen for totem resulted in a system wide resolution change from 1152x864 to 1600x1200! AKKK! Very unstable.
    Purged nvidia-glx-new from the pc; followed the Nvidia install readme using the 169.07 drivers. Much better! Very stable; no more X crashes etc. Cranked up the visual effects with no problems. Unfortunately the "Restricted Drivers Manager" no longer works; it says I need to install the linux-restricted modules that I uninstalled per Nvidia's instructions. But everything works great otherwise.

As an aside, I installed it later as a virtual machine using VMware Player on Dapper. The only problem there is stuttering/looping sound. Should be easy to fix.

Page 137 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast