View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 136 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Install went ok, very simple. However having major problems getting mythtv to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just installed it on a new ACER 5720G laptop, all worked out of the box except the sound.

To fix the sound i had to follow the following instructions :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...ght=%28acer%29
    Then install the backport-modules :
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-generic

Beans

Hi,

I am using Dapper Drake at home on a Pentium 4 ASUS board and it installed smoothly.

I recently got a new PC in Office , an Athlon. I thought installation would be a breeze. It wasn't

I got this error:

[0.532000] PCI: Cannot allocate resources region 1 of device 0000:00:14.0

DUH

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by arupdg View Post
    I am using Dapper Drake...
    On this second PC, are you installing Gutsy or Dapper? As for the error message, it means there wasn't enough system resources free to correctly initialize a PCI device (ie: video, audio, usb, etc.). I'd do a reset of resources for PCI devices in your system's BIOS, and make sure that you BIOS is configured for a Plug and Play O/S.

Windows is susceptible to this problem as well, since this is most likely related to how well your BIOS assigns resources (if not in PnP mode). Otherwise, the O/S just couldn't find any free resources to use (in PnP mode) as reported by the BIOS.

A similar problem (even though on Windows) and some discussion on what to check: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=29876

Beans

Ooops! Sorry for that! I am trying to install Gutsy (7.10). I am planning to give Dapper a try since Gutsy isn't working out.

I thought it was a BIOS thing but just don't know what to twiddle. The system came with ******* XP preinstalled. I set all BIOS items to default and tried a live CD install. It failed with the error message I quoted. In fact all installs failed with the same message.

arupdg

Quote Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
    On this second PC, are you installing Gutsy or Dapper? As for the error message, it means there wasn't enough system resources free to correctly initialize a PCI device (ie: video, audio, usb, etc.). I'd do a reset of resources for PCI devices in your system's BIOS, and make sure that you BIOS is configured for a Plug and Play O/S.

Windows is susceptible to this problem as well, since this is most likely related to how well your BIOS assigns resources (if not in PnP mode). Otherwise, the O/S just couldn't find any free resources to use (in PnP mode) as reported by the BIOS.

A similar problem (even though on Windows) and some discussion on what to check: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=29876

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

arupdg, yup, the defaults in many BIOS makes may not set the PnP or resource handling correctly. I'd continue with that to find out where things are headed with the limited resource issue.

There is a small possibility that this is a driver issue in the Linux kernel with your specific mobo chipset (if you have a chipset other than Intel, NVIDIA, VIA, SiS, or ATI). Some SiS chipsets may have issues here (ie: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=16242).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Working on two antique systems, one a Celeron 400MHz first with 120GB HD, now with 8GB HD, second with a PIII 450MHz with 120GB HD from Celeron system. Both systems have 256MB RAM.
    The Celeron system loaded well and ran fine albeit a little slow, until after a week or so the drive started acting flakey. Suspected power supply so moved in older wimpier HD. Reload seemed fine until reboot when system could not find HD boot sector. Proper boot was accomplished (how I got here) by booting with CD and redirecting for boot from first found HD. Something is still wrong with the boot sector of this HD, and since it booted before in WIN98... It had been completely reformated for WIN98 NO-BOOT and used for backup on the WIN98 system. The old boot disk (120MB) was removed and the backup disk was jumpered for master prior to installation.
    The PIII 450 system has shown the problem was likely with the 120GB HD not the power supply, as each of two consecutive attempts to load proceeded into the install and had (non-matching) file errors during the install. I will be getting a new HD and seeing what happens then.
    I'm still trying though...

Update from yesterday, the PIII system problem was definitely the HD, NOT Gutsy. Different HD worked fine.
    Update a week later: "We have found the problem, and the problem is US." An update was done to the BIOS in the Celeron system to a post-2000 BIOS to keep Gutsy from complaining, and to allow a full power-down shutdown without my pushing the power button. This update also RESET the boot sequence, deleting the hard disk from the list altogether!! It is now working fine.
    Last edited by zlggy; January 14th, 2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Update to original

Beans

ubuntu 64 on intel core duo

It installed pretty well, but at first it kept complaining about a read error from the install cd. I checked everything but there was no error on the disc. I also had some problems pointing it to the right partitions. I did not quit get I had to change the mount point to / for the main drive. It seems that you should not do any browsing during install. Without doing anything it installed fine.
    The gurb is unfortunately on the non boot harddisk and I can not indicate in my bios what hard disk to boot from. So I can only boot from the install CD and select boot from first hard disk. Somewhere else I saw a solution for that, but I am not sure I got that.
    It updated the nvid video driver automatically en8500gt but there seem to be no dual screen support

I am just stuck now with trying to get a 32 bit installation to install. Most tutorials I tried so far for chroot did not work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Dual boot install Gutsy Gibbon with XP Pro.
    Installation no problems. Both systems work fine.
    Problems with Belkin WLAN card based on Broadcom BCM4306 chipset. Replaced with Pluscom WP-RT2561T which was detected immediately and no additional software was needed.
    Still need to get APC SmartUPS working (connected to COM1).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did some research and took some advice (From these forums) long before I actually put the disk in the drive. Subsequently the installation went perfectly as the third OS on the machine. Windows 2000 was first, followed by a dual boot with XP (For games), and finally Ubuntu.

The GRUB loader works very well, offering me a choice to use the Windows 2000 loader, which then gives me the choice of 2000 or XP (As it used to do). All of my Windows drives are mounted automatically, which is great because it means easy access to my personal documents and images.

I initially had a 'Restricted Driver' icon showing for my NVIDIA card, but I followed instructions and that was sorted out quickly and easily. My LAN was found without a hitch, and once I had configured to use a specific IP address my router was happy and internet connection was fine.

I have a few Windows programs that I just cant live without and to start with I simply couldn't get on with Wine, so I ended up using VirtualBox, which performed excellently, and I now have a copy of Windows 2000 that I can use for those programs, although I am also still experimenting with Wine, so I might well move away from the VM.

I'm yet to try and get my printer/scanner working, and I have yet to attempt to connect my camera, although all of the images from Windows are still accessible.

All in all I'm quite happy at the moment. This is meant to be a complete move away from Windows (Eventually) so I'm taking things slowly and chipping away at things a bit at a time. Assuming that there are no insurmountable problems with hardware and software, this move should be permanent, although Ill probably always run a dual boot system to give me 100% access to my games and any tricky applications that I just have to use.

Page 136 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast