View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 121 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Acer 5051 AWXMi (Acer 5050 derivative) laptop. AMD Turion MK36 2GHz, 1GB RAM.

I did a frsh Ubuntu Gutsy install (previous Xubuntu Feisty) on this laptop, which worked.... almost flawlessly. LivecD worked just fine. "Guided" install using largest continuous free space, and I was installed about 20 minutes later. Rebooted after about a 5 minute delay after GRUB, but still loaded up OK.

A 2 second forum search found this solution, which is very elegant: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581075

5 mintues later, Ubuntu Gutsy runs with flashy desktop effects with no problems, after a quick update and Synaptic installation of the ATI drivers: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580748

Now, the benefits are very clear. More stable than Feisty, boot quicker, and my internal SD card reader works (although still doesn't recognise Memory Sticks). Wifi even works flawlessly without tweaks. Excellent.

I can't recommend Gutsy enough (from a fresh install).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The general desktop install went great, and the fact that the Beryl features are now native is a real Vista-killer. If I can get my company's LoB apps to run under Wine then I'll seriously think about moving my work laptop to Ubuntu.

One complaint - upgrade wiped out my VMWare player!
    What is the point of genius if not applied to evil ends?

'Evil genius' just rolls off the tongue; 'humanitarian genius', that's just a mouthful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed 7.10 from the iso I DL'd Sunday. Worked flawlessly for me.
    Got Wine installed and now I can have my Guild Wars fix

No issues even from the updates.

Beans

Initially, I tried the upgrade process and ended up with a big mess. I bit the bullet and reformatted my hard drive and did a clean install. There was some work to make sure that I recovered my data, re-installed my programs and re-configured Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. But it was worth it.

The computer's working great with only a couple of minor issues--system sounds don't play (but CDs do) and I can't download pictures from my camera (but I haven't been able to do that since leaving Dapper). Overall I'm very happy with Gutsy, and next time I'll try to be more prepared for a clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wink My Experience:

I had no issues installing this on my Desktop but had an issue with my IBM Thinkpad laptop.

Other than that it was very nice to have a working OS for once *had Windows on it before *

Only problems sinse installing were the fact that WINE is finicky (as usual) and the lack of the ability to access Flash Drives (as usual)

so if anyone knows how to get the Flash Drive to force mount WITHOUT it going nuts and having a spaz attack, let me know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had an uneven experience but part of it, I could have caused though I'm unsure.

I was running 7.04 for a few months and it was quite good about offering updates to what was installed, thankfully. (I have a varied background with UNIX experience but keeping UNIX up to date can be a part time job in itself.)

When I saw the release candidate for 7.10 was available, I did the upgrade. It worked well enough but when the final release came, I couldn't update.

I ended up installing 7.04 again from CD-ROM and updated to the final release of 7.10.

There was a difference after the upgrade with the Restricted Drivers Manager and I downloaded and installed support for NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (latest cards) and Firmware for Broadcom 43xx chipset family. This seems to have caused an issue where the machine never is able to shut down, although it can usually restart.

All-in-all, it's not a horrible experience but quite confusing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

first, i tried to upgrade to gutsy, failed twice. then i used an install disk. the install was fine, but i couldn't install some of my favorite programs from feisty (audacious for one).

Beans

Here's the system I built:

Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 GF6100 motherboard
    AMD A64 X2 4800+ 2.5Ghz processor
    Seagate Barracuda 250G HD
    2 x 1G Gskill DDR2 800 RAM
    Samsung SH-S202G dvd burner
    Koutech RCM 620 card reader
    Saitek eclipse keyboard
    Logitech X-230 speakers
    Hanns-G 19" monitor

Install went Ok but a few problems. First attempt with 7.10 64bit live CD gave me nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen after selecting install from the initial screen (same in safe graphics mode). I used the alternate 7.10 CD. That worked OK but had the TTF opensymbol problem. (solved with searching the forum and trying a couple fixes, followed by re-installation)
    Most everything seems to work but still working on video playback in Firefox.

So not bad for a relative noob. (had Dapper dual booted on previous box with W98)

Ubuntu=sweet, good,free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520, the installation was pretty painless. It came with Vista pre-loaded. I grabbed the one partition and re-sized it, created a swap file and installed Ubuntu 7.10 on the new partition.
    The only configuration that I've had to do so far is get the WiFi card going and I'm in the process of working on the sound card.
    Other then that, it was SMOOTH sailing!!!
    I set aside 20GB for the install and I just use Ubuntu for surfing and email so I'm not pushing it.
    I do have to get the wife to start using it though!!!!!
    thanks for all the help!!
    ~~~~
    I just saw a totally strange smell and it felt like it was really sour. Oh well, must've been hearing things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I recently built a new PC and as I hadn't been able to really get X going on my previous system, I went with Ubuntu. It's been a fairly easy process so far. But I'm a fair experience computer user and I've been using linux on servers for quite a while. However, ubuntu has gotten a lot better since I first tried it. I think the biggest annoyance has been the problems with the graphics card. X has been putting out the wrong resolution for quite a while. However, once I'd got the drivers installed it's been much better. Still oddly enough it does loose the setting and revert to 800*600.

On the upside, I've been able to configure network printing, WoW, EvE, use my digital camera, sound etc etc easily, no fiddling. It's been as good as if not better than windows in that regard.

Page 121 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast