View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 110 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I wanted to give something back after installing Gutsy, so here is my first post.

My history: I tried installing Linux in the late 90's, but became frustrated and reverted to Windows 98(!) In 2006 I read about how horrible and expensive Vista was going to be, and found Ubuntu. After triple-booting XP, Vista beta and Dapper Ubuntu, it was the latter that I found myself using most often (especially as my free Windows virus-checker subs ran out, and you guessed it, I'm too cheap to buy a new one). Dapper took a lot of CLI configuration, especially for video (as I wanted TV output from an ATI card, along with XGL/Compiz), printing and wireless networking. But I got it done thanks mostly to the fine people on these forums!

System: ShuttleXPC/Athlon 64 3400+/ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB/1G RAM/160GB EIDE/16x Lite-On DVD-RW/Creative Soundblaster/Canon MP130 printer/Zonet ZEW2500P wireless usb/triple boot with XP+Vista

On to the Gutsy upgrade questions:

Did it worked flawlessly ?

It depends what you think is a flaw. I clean-installed 7.10 from LiveCD over a previous ext3 partition with Edgy.

The first few tries the installer got stuck at 46% "scanning disks" in the Partitioner, until I figured out that I needed to switch off my USB printer (Canon MP130) during the install process. After that, very smooth.

Did you got problems ?

Yes - above problem with USB printer preventing install.

My USB wireless didn't work out of the box, despite the promise on the wiki (Zonet ZEW2500p with ralink 2570 chip). I'm now reverted to ndiswrapper, and I had to blacklist the rt2500usb driver manually to get that to connect.

My next complaint is a strange one. Given the number of commands that I had to use at the terminal for Edgy last time, I spend ages before reintalling in collecting files for offline use about every aspect of my hardware. However, Gutsy is so good that I didn't need any of them, so my time was wasted by Gutsy being too good In particular, the printing, samba shares, connection of my Creative Zen player, and video/compiz setup were amazingly good in Gutsy.

Big props to everyone involved in making this. Outstanding effort.
    Last edited by dcreeves2000; November 20th, 2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Brain in slow gear

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Ok, I just did a second machine because I figured out the issues with my first upgrade. I was running restricted drivers. The first time, I didn't turn them off. The second time, I did. The second upgrade didn't have any issues except that I had to add the restricted drivers after the upgrade.

Beans

I have to say, I did not read any post in this thread.

I have been using Ubuntu since 2005 and I LIKE UBUNTU! But overall I was impressed with the progress made in such a short period of time, Many things have markedly improved, surprisingly my scanner which has previously been called *OBSOLETE* now works!
    The upgrade didn't work, it looked like it did for a day or two, then I did a clean install, which worked much better. Then I started scrwng around with compiz and did another clean install. Now, after 3 clean installs, I can install it from scratch to 100% in 1 go... Progress is being made here too...

Only one problem remains: my sound cards (s) (3) won't record anything, unless running from livecd!? Some is wrong here...

8/10 for all developers and contributers!

just my 2 cents..
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to ubuntu, even newer to linux; though I've tried an odd distro from time to time to see how the quest is going. I've never gotten as far as my present installation of ubuntu before. I believe that's progress. I dual boot gutsy and win xp pro. Windows is still the default choice (I mean I have to get something done, occasionally.) I've worked several hours a day for the last two weeks, and while I'm hopeful that gutsy will prove to be a keeper, I'm struck by the effort necessary to construct this os from the various bits and pieces. Hardware support and application development remain problems. Running windows apps under wine is not wholly satisfactory, but it appears I will have to resort to running a windows freeware app under wine just to manage my collection of videos. The available native choices are disappointments so far. Video is a basic function, but has proven to be surprisingly problematic. (Oh, did I mention the partition manager erased my ntfs partition. I had to resort to old floppies of partition magic!)
    Auldcat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi All,

I started with Mandriva in 2005 but didn't get on too well (been using MS since 1987!) then found Breezy and started to play while maintaining productivity through the dozy set. Upgrading to Dapper and then Feisty and liked these so started using Feisty more until I'd virtually changed over. Networking etc was so much quicker, better, more stable etc. Have now gone Gutsy with no probs via upgrade on laptop, but desktop is giving no end of probs. Have now re-installed yet again from CD this time using Ext 2 format for root partition and seems better. Still have a problem 'connecting to server' from laptop but I'll sort it!

Have needed to check compatibility via MS Win 2000 or XP & Word 2000 for some customers recently and hated the slowness and freezes. Also discovered that it appears that Word 2000 doesn't seem to be compatible with Word 2003 and likewise to Word 2007 - why am I concerned about compatibility between Openoffice and Word!!

Ubuntu is so much cleaner, slicker, faster and cheaper than the horrid alternative that it's worth sorting out the probs.
    Desktop - P4 3.2GHz 800 FSB, Asus P5L-VM1394, 1G DDR2, 1T SATA HDD + 500G SATA HDD
    Laptop - Acer Aspire 7730 Intel Centrino2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace Android

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

A small warning: When Xubuntu 7.10 came out, I tried the auto upgrade (from 7.04, using Update Manager). It takes a couple of hours on my machine, so the screen saver kicked in. When I tried to log in to check progress, it wouldn't accept my password - so my only option was to wait till the disk activity stopped and then reboot. The machine works (accepts my password, connects to Wifi etc) but I strongly suspect the upgrade did not complete correctly.
    If you pass this way, shut off the screen saver first.

Suspicious Symptoms: (1) Grub shows multiple kernels (3 of) - my wifi does not work in 2 of them (2) AppArmor error during boot (module failed to load) (3) old archiver not replaced (4) gxine still present, not working, 'autoplay input plugin 'CD' not found' (5) Totem will not play Audio CDs (plugin missing). There may be more I haven't discovered yet.

But thanks anyway for creating Xubuntu - you've made a 7-year-old Thinkpad very happy!

Regards
    The Vista Dodger

Beans

I thought Ubuntu installed without killing my Vista but it did!
    that's was because Vista was not able to shrink its partition (despite of 50 M free)
    so I used Gparted : it shrinked the partition for 10 M but Vista was dead !!
    I regenerated an XP (better than Vista !) and after Linux with help of internet sites
    and now Im happy.

Tasks to do : install french language Firefox
    Learn linux commands

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation HP Pavilion Notebook DV6660

Well after a lot of frustration I discover that my new laptop don't work with Linux (hardware issues) this are my specs HP Pavilion Entertainment-center notebook PC DV6660se 64-bit 1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 processor, 250 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM Nvidia GeForce Go 7150 graphics if anyone manage to install a Linux distro in this model please help me
    HP Pavilion dv5 1000us
    64-bit 2.0 GHz Centrino 2 core duo P7350
    250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM.
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am a first timer (other than a brief play with Red Hat in the 90s) and have installed 7.10 on an Acer 5101 laptop (Athlon XP-M, 768Mb ram, new hard drive so literally nothing to loose!) with remarkably few problems. Even the Belkin PCI wifi card worked first time!

Only things I have had to sort out so far were printer and scanner drivers for Brother DCP115c (there is an excellent posting in these forums which worked - hint to new users - use the search facility in forums to find solutions before asking another question)

The screen savers sometimes go awry and revert to black and green static stripes but otherwise behave normally (ie restore is OK)

Have yet to test CD/DVD writer or external USB drive but I am confident..............!

Having used windows for many years the really impressive thing is how fast it goes - particularly booting up and shutting down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was going to post everything I went through, but the post and thread by Anlace about none of the nvidia drivers working was identical to my problems (and yes, I used the official method first-which didn't work). So I have to go back to Fiesty because of my nvidia card and wacom graphire4 not working right in Gutsy.

Page 110 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast