View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 11 of 176 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

My clock is going to fast. WAY to fast. It's affecting everything. The clock in the system tray is ticking by a minute every few seconds. The repeat rate on my keyboard is insane. Animated GIFs in Firefox are changing so rapidly they're just a blur. The animated mouse cursor rotates to fast when launching programs. It's impossible to double-click because the time between clicks is passing to fast.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I used bitorrent, backed up files, went from gutsy beta with huge mistakes caused by me to a clean, shiny, gutsy final with wireless working after following usual howto, ati driver in from restricted manager (can't wait for the new ones!), and my favorite time waster, battle for wesnoth back in place. Next is compiz, but not until the servers cool off (I am sure many want this working up to snuff) and my analog dsl connection starts downloading at higher than 2000 b/s.
    Be kind to others. Even those that are not kind to you. You never know if their mom just died.
    -My Mom

Beans

I did a fresh install of 7.10 on an HP Pavilion Slimline s7500n PC. The installation was unremarkable.

Pros

1. Enabling the proprietary driver for the onboard ATI card is easy.
    2. Enabling XGL was easy.
    3. Compiz-Fusion is absolutely beautiful and slick.

Cons

4. Something is VERY wrong with Pidgin. My system was functioning beautifully until I launched that application and then the system speed was like it was in a trance.

5. DOSEMU installed, but dosemu-freedos is not going to be installed. Joy of joys.

6. Clicking on "Applications" one had to wait a good 15 seconds for anything to happen. A log out fixed it until I launched Pidgin again when the same sluggish response returned.

7. No boot splash screen after enabling XGL with ATI and Compiz-fusion. i.e., the boot screen is black with some "bug" notice flashing quickly and then disappearing. I've already found how to resolve that, but should I have to? Just a thought.

8. The DOSEMU issue was "sort of" resolved by grabbing DOSEMU 1.4 from dosemu.org and using Alien and dpkg. Once I did that, immediate Gutsy reported an updated package was available. I installed the update to DOSEMU.

9. After futzing with it for two days, I finally said, "This is a beautiful desktop" but I've had enough. Downgraded where I think I'll stay bercause everything "just works flawlessly." (Glad I made an image of the previous version before I did a fresh install.)

10. I don't have time to muck-around resolving these "issues." My current "system" works flawlessly with Beryl, so I'm staying put, but I think Pidgin needs a closer look for whatever reason.

Note: Your experience will probably be better than mine, but I'm just offering up my thoughts that, while a stunningly beautiful presentation, something just isn't quite right yet. I'm sure the fine folks at Ubuntu will resolve these "issues" in time and all will be well. I haven't the time to waste on it currently.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I upgraded from feisty and got lots of problems:
    my resolution was lovered back to 1024x something(was 1280x1024), and choosing intel driver don't help this time, gnome panel icons messed up (due to resolution changes i think), some custom settings lost, customized keyboard (metacity) shortcuts dont work (using gconf-editor shows some strange <mod4> key added, removing it solves problem, but still), Window deformation effect gone (was in feisty, but unable to find in Gutsy).
    On the positive side new screen and graphics tool is good (but still buggy for me (duo to driver problems i think), compiz works better and i can watch movies then using it.

ANOther thing is that upgrade rquired user intervention: Some package asked if i want to replace some config in the midlle ot the process. This is bad. such things shuold be postponed until the end, becaus it you aren't monitoring it, it will stop.
    Last edited by ogcub; October 19th, 2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added last sentece

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Upgraded Xubuntu 7.04 to 7.10. The only problem I have is the Network Monitor disappeared from one of my panels and I can't get it back. Tried adding a new one. Tried deleting the netload rc file from my panel directory and adding to the panel. Haven't found a fix.
    Last edited by reset3x; October 19th, 2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
    pay it forward

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I upgraded Kubuntu and it works fine thus far, except that strangely enough MSN no longer works on Kopete (has a crash) but AIM still does...I downloaded a seperate program for MSN.

Beans

Started my install last night. It finished up about 9 hrs later. And I have a fast Internet connection (3mbps). On a dual-booting (Win XP and Ubuntu) Toshiba Satellite a-105 laptop.

So far, the major problem is with sound. It no longer works.

The major win is wireless networking. It no longer drops every couple of minutes.

I'll revise this post as I solve the sound issue.

-- stan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs up Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

There were some upgrades I had to do and then it said that 7.10 was available for upgrade . I clecked the button with intrepidation and it carried out the upgrade flawlessly. Took about 3 hours but it is all done now and running great . I have not been able to give it a thorough test yet but the first thing I noticed is that it seems to start up programs faster than 7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Upgrade worked flawlessly for the first time.

I've upgraded a lot over the years and Egdy -> Feisty was good (only some minor issues I can't remember) this one just went perfect. Didnt need to fix anything,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Upgrade worked. Thanks.

On the edge of removing my dual boot but:

still to sort:

1. Screen resolution - 1280 x 1024 Intel driver on a laptop - again.

2. KNetwork manager forgot passwords - wireless access to sort - again.

Cheers

Page 11 of 176 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast