View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 104 of 176 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I started Ubuntu with Edgy. Had trouble getting my NVIDIA card to run (like many others it seemed), but finally managed to.

Upgraded to Feisty, had troubles again with the card, Xserver wouldn't start. Took me hours and searching on the net until I got it running again. In the process somebody told me that it's my fault that the upgrade didn't run as supposed because I installed the drivers manually instead of using the out-of-the-box ones. Well, the ones that came with the upgrade didn't work, but nevermind.

So I was weary about an upgrade and waited for a while before upgrading again. I fully expected I'd spend the day afterwards getting my Xserver config working again, but lo and behold - the machine reboots and Xserver starts! What a pleasant suprise.
    Then I realize my soundcard is no longer working. What a nasty surprise. Again, after two hours on the net and searching around I finally got it to work. No idea if I got it all or if something else is waiting for me once I boot up again, but here are my thoughts on the whole thing:

An upgrade from any software or OS from a x.04 to a x.10 version shouldn't screw my system up as this did.
    I switched to Ubuntu because I wanted to give linux a try and I was sure that for most stuff linux would offer everything I need. I was looking forward to the improved security aspects and even liked the eye-candy (event though I don't use most of it). I didn't swtich so I'd have to type in sudo get whatever every now and then because some lib files or repositories or dependencies are missing.

I guess what I really take with me from that experience: Never try an upgrade again. And I'll stop recommending others to give Linux a try. It's too much of a hassle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Upgrade worked pretty well for me, the one thing that I need to fix now is my wifi after suspend...again! It was working well in feisty, after some heroic Forum users' intervention, but now I need to figure it out again...sigh. Unexpected lockups I think are paprtly a result of the desktop effects.

running ubuntu on a system76 gazp3
    Last edited by ncappel1; November 14th, 2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: gazp3, not gazp4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Did it worked flawlessly ?
    The fresh install went very quickly on my Acer laptop TravelMate 4400 (Aspire 5024 family).

I installed 7.10 using a CD that I burned two weeks ago from an ISO image downloaded from Linuxquestions.org (mirror: NYC Columbia University). I did it without an Ethernet cable, not connected to the Internet.

Recognized but not working: Broadcom built-in wireless modem. I followed the instructions from two websites (URLs upon request) and downloaded the driver for bcm4318. I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter from Synaptic. I installed acer_acpi from a google maintained web site (how nice to find this). It went so well that I was surprised when the orange light started blinking on my laptop's front edge, indicating the wireless modem was on and communicating.

The 1280x800 LCD worked with the default configuration (auto-recognition), and I ended up reverting to that setup, because the specific driver for my ATI accelerated graphics adapter did not work correctly despite at least three selections and reboots. I'm glad the out-of-the-box settings work but I would like to have the ATI adapter recognized properly for Google Earth, etc.

Ubuntu 7.10 was the best Linux I ever used for wireless setup, hands down.

It takes a long time to bootup, about 2 minutes, but I've rebooted ~20 times and it always does the same thing, so I'm not sure what is going on there, but it works fine after booting.

Overall, very happy with this install. I'm going to upgrade my home built desktop this weekend from version 7.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Hi everyone

I recently swapped to Ubuntu by pure chance. Windows had died for the millionth time that day, when I spotted Ubuntu 7.04 on a magazine cover. Tried it, loved it, and upgraded to 7.10 when it became available! Only, the upgrade mashed my laptop - nothing worked!

So, after a dalliance with Sabayon (way slow), Mandriva (too tech. for me) and Suse (wouldn't even load) I'm back with Ub-ster, and much happier and wiser - though still a complete newb!!=D>

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've actually done both an upgrade and a clean install (of Xubuntu - not the straight Ubuntu) and have only a couple of issues:

My system is old and I use the Xfce desktop environment to compensate. The original upgrade did experience some problems with repositories being unavailable, so I went in and unchecked the Universe/Multiverse repos and tried again. Finally got everything to load - although I can't believe it took 3hrs on a T1 network. The upgrade itself went ok but once booted into Gutsy I experienced problems with my screensaver - I hadn't read the changelogs and didn't know gnome-screensaver was being used instead of the xscreensaver. I got the default blank screen only, but when I tried to set it to 'random' (an annoyance in itself, as I generally select only one hack to run) the xserver crashed. Repeated attempts to go back in and change screensaver settings resulted in the same thing.

So I downloaded and did a clean install, thinking the problem was in the upgrade process. No joy, same problem. I finally uninstalled gnome-screensaver, re-installed xscreensaver just in case it was incomplete, and added it to my startup programs. All runs fine now.

But- my $.02- I run Xubuntu especially because I need a lighter desktop than either Gnome or KDE. I see no good reason to replace xscreensaver with gnome-screensaver. I don't want gnome services to have to run at startup, Ubuntu is the best gnome-desktop distro out there. Xubuntu should be the best xfce-desktop distro - with gnome apps only where no lightweight version is available. As it is, Xubuntu has fallen behind Zenwalk and Wolvix in my experience, except for wireless support. I have stayed with it because I like Debian, but Slack is starting to look better and better-

Beans

My update from feisty to gutsy worked without probems. I just changed the "feisty"s to "gutsy"s in sources.list, removed the unofficial sources and did a dist-upgrade.

During the upgrade process, I was asked maybe 7 or 8 times if I wanted to overwrite or keep a configuration file. I let apt show me the diff of the files and adapted them manually. After the update, everything worked well, I just had to recompile the vmware modules, but that's normal after every kernel update. And my grub/menu.lst was replaced, had to restore it... That's all I can remember

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Install worked perfectly; no problems whatsoever. Configured as dual-boot with xp (on separate disks)

Installing 7.10 also cured a problem I had with a lost and non-recoverable internet connection in 7.04

Hardware:
    Asus P5K-SE with onboard Attansic L1 ethernet adapter
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3 Ghz
    2GB DDR2-800
    2x500 Gig Western Digital
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    Dell 24" screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Upgraded from Fiesty and lost wifi, which had worked out-of-the box with Fiesty. Also had fsck running on every boot but solved this by changing last number of VFAT partitions in /etc/fstab to 0.

Tried lots of things to get wifi back (D-Link DWL-122) but eventally gave up and went back to Fiesty.

Need Windows occasionally, until I can get Wine to run some of my Visual Basic applications.

Would like to upgrade to Gutsy again but only after the bugs have been fixed. How can I know when that has been accomplished?

Very pleased with Ubuntu and greatly appreciate all the effort behind the scenes.

Beans

wiped out feisty and installed gutsy (on toshiba satellite a105-s4284) and encountered the following problems so far

1) FN keys stopped working (they were working in feisty after a bios upgrade)

2) issues with intel 945 driver, trying to use i810 but laptop boots with a msg saying "your computer is working in low graphics mode"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bongoMaster View Post
    My update from feisty to gutsy worked without probems. I just changed the "feisty"s to "gutsy"s in sources.list, removed the unofficial sources and did a dist-upgrade.

During the upgrade process, I was asked maybe 7 or 8 times if I wanted to overwrite or keep a configuration file. I let apt show me the diff of the files and adapted them manually. After the update, everything worked well, I just had to recompile the vmware modules, but that's normal after every kernel update. And my grub/menu.lst was replaced, had to restore it... That's all I can remember
    No offense, but you call that without problems?

Page 104 of 176 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast