View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 101 of 176 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Updated on my daughters dual boot machine because she was not using it. Thought Compiz might impress, I am having difficulty with setting up a ATI Radeon 9800XT card and 1680*1050 LCD monitor. The pre desktop config doesn't work and neither does 'Screens and Graphics'. Above kit just works in XP.

On my machine I run nvidia and have managed to get Compiz working with it. I recall using nvidia-xconfig to get it going. Is there a similar thing with ATI?

Rgds
    Bob
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I bought a refurbished dual 1.6 ghz gateway widescreen note book (mt6821) with 140 gigs of space that came out the box with Vista Home Premium installed on it. On day 2 of using the computer it started to crash and stall like craaazy, about 20-30 times a day. I phoned gateway and complained, they said that my notebook was fine (corporate pigs that they are) and it had to be something I was doing, but if I wanted to I could buy a new copy of Windows XP for about 2 bills and that may solve my problems. That really pissed me off.

I began to consider Linux as an option when I was researching how to DJ from your laptop to a live audience, and everyone was saying that I had to use my laptop EXCLUSIVELY for DJing, never connect to the internet, delete everything I can except mp3s and dj software, etc, so that it would limit the chances of a crash to a bear minimum. This made sense but I thought there must be another way, and that's when I remembered Linux. It's amazing how linux is not really discussed in the mainstream. I remember hearing how Linux is a lot more stable than windows and more secure so I started to check it out. I liked what I saw so I downloaded Wubi to try it out. Wubi worked fine, looked great, and I liked how customizable everything was, plus it recognized all my hardware right away (XP never did that back in the day) so I backed up my files, formated my hard drive and installed ubuntu 7.10.

Well, for the most part everything works except a few things. 1. The problem I've had with sound still occurs with ubuntu which tells me my audio problem isn't a software issue but a preexisting hardware issue, and i'm getting my sound card replaced on friday for free 2 Synaptic Package Manager creates a "cant read 'rsync'" Error on everything I try to install. I'm still working on that one. 3 UDF tools won't work, but I think this is related to my 2nd problem because I can't reinstall it yet.

Besides those two things everything works perfectly on ubuntu. I'm actually even a little happy that I had the problem in the first place because it introduced me to linux and I will NEVER go back to windows. Linux totally rocks.

Beans

In the last two weeks I have upgraded to Gutsy both at home & at work using the update manager. It worked mint with no issues at all. In fact at home with my wide screen monitor it fixed some issues that I had with the previous version.

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

It was really easy to install, but I wanted to make the Ubuntu to look like all those ones you see online - with the Compiz/Beryl effects. So it was a lot of learning and help from my awesome room mate.

Still, I don't know how to get the windows to pop off the background when I rotate the cube and HAVE NO LUCK WITH GETTING A DOCK...

Kind of frustrated, but all in all, it's been good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by spacegypsy View Post
    Made a fresh install of Ubunutu Studio 7.10.

Only one problem (till now); OpenOffice Spreadsheet won't open properly
    found solution here

quad boot Debian Lenny 64bit / Kubuntu 9.10 64bit / Ubuntu Studio 8.04 64bit / Windows Vista on Medion Akoya P7300 D Nvidia Geforce 9600 gt

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Overall, I'm disappointed. This has been the worst Kubuntu experience since I started using Ubuntu/Kubuntu first with 5.10 in late 2005.

The upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy on my laptop yielded a non-usable machine that wouldn't boot to KDE. At some point during the boot process the screen went blank and there was no recovery from there (things as primitive at the Caps Lock light didn't come on any more, power-down was the only option).

So I wiped the disk and installed from CD. Now my USB devices don't work. External mouse -- nogo. USB stick -- nogo. It doesn't load any of the usb kernel modules (lsmod |grep usb returns nothing). And I haven't been able to find anything on this either.

It seems quality has steadily gone downhill. More stuff worked out of the box on 5.10 than it did with 7.04 and 7.10. 7.10 has lost the most of the primitive OS functions (like USB).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed Gutsy three days ago, and I'm just not able to install my graphic card.
    I have nVidia 8800 GTS. I have described my problem in this thread.
    Any help would be grateful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Updated to Gutsy on my laptop (after having successfully installed Gutsy on an old machine). Everything went well except for a few issues that were solvable:

1. there wasn't enough free space on the root partition (I have 5 GB for root and 28 for home) and had to abort the installation to free up some space) - Maybe a

2. Not all servers were accessible and the process hung a few times. I just restarted everything and it went OK.

Now my scanner works (Canoscan N670U) which I am very pleased about.

Thanks to all who make Ubuntu possible!

Beans

i upgraded, and it seems that i am having graphical issues. for example, the bottom tenth of my screen is full of graphical artifacts. i have attemepted to change the settings of the resolution, and refresh rate, to no avail. the monitor is fine, as it was working perfectly with feisty. I am using an older ati radeon 7500 card...

also, ive noticed that the cool feature where you could mouseover a mp3 file, and hear a sample is now gone. any idea of how to fix that?

any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

It is strange, it works ok on my laptop hP pavillion, which is awsome, because I had many trouble with the wireless, but some times it crashes, lesser that the windows Xp which is also installed. It seems more a problem of the HP. But up to now gutsy is better than XP.
    However I am now getting back to feisty on desktop. My experience, was at first very good with gutsy, but suddenly it crashed and my main applications stopped to work, and the screen just get stuck. I tried several issues, I solved some conflicts of gnome and kde, and maybe the compiz is also bringing some problems. Anyway it is taking me to much time and I need to work. I am sad because I loved it when it was working and it is pity to give up, at least for some time.
    Best wishes for the developping crowd
    I am waiting for news from you
    Fred

Page 101 of 176 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast