Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] What do you like least about Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What do U like least about Ubuntu?

gibberish.......
    Another Big One That I Forgot About...
    Well, look at the picture, all the questions marks are files with Hebrew names, That are on my FAt32 Partition....

(ps. any way to fix it?)

The Picture
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachme...1&d=1129593044
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

multimedia in firefox/other web browsers and just multimedia in general

that is my only problem
    "Treason is truth in an empire of lies” -Ron Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by thechitowncubs
    multimedia in firefox/other web browsers and just multimedia in general

that is my only problem
    Gstreamer 0.9 should fix that, unless you mean codecs that we can't ship for legal reasons - in which case Uni/multiverse is for you.

Totem already embeds in your epiphany (or firefox) and should in general play whatever you throw at it which it has pipeline elements for.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Yaron
    gibberish.......
    Another Big One That I Forgot About...
    Well, look at the picture, all the questions marks are files with Hebrew names, That are on my FAt32 Partition....

(ps. any way to fix it?)

The Picture
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachme...1&d=1129593044
    I believe that Vfat needs to be mounted with a codepage argument, for hebrew I'd use:

/dev/hdXY /media/Windows vfat umask=0111,dmask=0,codepage=862,iocharset=iso8859-8,rw,users 0 0

in fstab, for other hebrew related locale issues:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//HebrewLocalizationHowto

Beans

-Loading Network Adapters while booting takes like forever(really expanding the boottime) Hey finally I resolved that issue by doing a bit of reading and with few comments But it would be great if by default not loosing that time...
    -Lacking of WPA-PSK support for WiFi
    -Lacking of easy installers for ATI and Nvdia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbrader
    Slow boot time. My laptop dual boots xp and Hoary and windows boots much faster. My wife's PII desktop runs Suse 8.2 and it even boots faster. When I'm booting Ubuntu it always hangs for a minute or so while it looks for the wireless network and if I'm booting away from home it takes even longer. But Ubuntu is still my all-time favorite OS and I've used quite a few.
    I think everyone suffers from that, and its very annoying why noone fixes that in Ubuntu. I have found a solution to that online and hope it works for you all too. I use Breezy now, and it works...

try this:

sudo update-rc.d -f networking remove
    sudo update-rc.d networking defaults 99

I tried the following and yes, boot up is alot faster now(at least 30sec faster!!!, but DHCP
    doesnt work...I can't connect to anything.

For laptops I would suggest to install ifplug...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i did the following, to make booting with wireless faster:

change your wireless network settings to static ip, a nonexistant ESSID so that it does not work. now install wifiradar, create a profile for your network, and execute wifiradar -d before clock synchronization but after network start!

it flies!

cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by polo_step
    Ubuntu's version of AbiWord on the repositories is way back at 2.2, though. Is the "Autopackage" installation from the site safe to try to install on Ubuntu?
    On breezy you can get 2.4 however it does not include link-grammar. You'll have to use the autopackage version to get that. Make sure you remove the Ubuntu version first!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mhearn
    On breezy you can get 2.4 however it does not include link-grammar. You'll have to use the autopackage version to get that. Make sure you remove the Ubuntu version first!

Oh wow! Thanks for telling us that Mr. Hearn. Grammer checking rocks!
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    I think aRts (or however it's capitalised ) is on the way out with KDE 4.0, too, so perhaps ALSA will be the only remaining sound server eventualy.
    That was my number one problem. I could never get aRts and ALSA to work together after installing the K7 kernel for some reason. I did manage to work around it by reconfiguring all my sound applications to use OSS via aRts (and I have the OSS/ALSA wrapper), but the idea of aRts being in charge of all sound the way it is currently is just foreign to me.

The next issue was with kppp (I miss Modem Lights) connecting me to the Internet (it has not held the connection), but I think much of it is an ISP thing. As long as I can use sudo pon/sudo poff, I'll get along just fine without kppp until I get broadband Internet.

Other than that, there are no other complaints here. 3D graphics on Unichrome is great. Data recovery on USB flash drives (yep, FAT16 file system) is my next venture - it looks a lot easier in Ubuntu than it sounds.