Thread: System Font on LCD Screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question System Font on LCD Screen

Quick Summary: How do I get the fonts to display in a legible manner, on a 42" LCD Screen with a Nvidia GeForce MX400 graphics card, using the VGA monitor port out(to a VGA port in on the tv)?

Long Story:
    My issue pertains to the system fonts, and their display on my 42" LCD TV. The are way to small, and I am unable to read them. I am new to Linux/Ubuntu/myth, so I am hoping there is a relatively easy solution for this issue.

When I first started the install process, I was unable to see the installation screens, so I figured it was my resolution(all the windows fit on the tv fine though), so I changed it to what I would guess was something around 800x600, just to see if I could see what the installation windows were saying. It changed the resolution, everything blew up huge on the screen, except for the fonts. They were still super small(like 2-3 pixels tall). I thought well maybe if I finish the installation, the nvidia drivers might fix this.(I have a nvidia GeForce MX 4000 which I'm using the vga port..to the vga in the back of my tv), so I took the pc into another room that has a standard crt monitor, plugged it in, and I could read everything. I finished the install, updated everything, etc.

Since I had all the updates and everything else I thought I would need, I took the pc back into the living room, plugged it in, and the mythtv screen preloaded the images...everything looked great! UNTIL i went to change a setting in myth, the drop down boxes, input boxes, text, everything is super small. I exit myth and ubunutu is the same way.

In short, how do I get the fonts to display in a legible manner, on a 42" LCD Screen with a Nvidia GeForce MX400 graphics card, using the VGA monitor port out(to a VGA port in on the tv)

Thank you so much in advance, and again I'm very new to linux, so please if there is a solution, understand that I might have more questions as to how to administer it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: System Font on LCD Screen

Check and make sure the DPI is 100x100. It should be automatically when you installed (from the RC and onward).

Code:
    xdpyinfo | grep dot

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've had the same problem you described and took a look at it in this thread.

As of now the only way i can get good fonts is from using the VESA driver instead of my onboard intel. In hopes of fixing this, i've purchased a nVidia GeForce 7600GS (hey... i needed a video card anyways). So hopefully this will fix the problem.

Is this possibly just the display driver interpreting the EDID info from the TV wrong? I've tried manually setting the DPI and DisplaySize (which calculates DPI) in the xorg.conf. Still no luck. Hopefully the new video card will solve all problems!
    Last edited by ickyb0d; October 18th, 2007 at 06:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

since i cannot read anything when its connected to my tv, i brought the computer back into the room that has the regular crt monitor. i typed what you said into the terminal.. and it shows as. resolutions: 96x98 dots per inch

now what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

since i enabled the nvidia drivers, the resolution has changed to 87x96 dots per inch.(on my crt monitor, after enabling drivers, and updating the system)

Beans
    Hidden!

Just go into the Appearance dialog and increase the DPI in the fonts preferences until you’re happy. Simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nvidia cards support adding a

Code:
     Option      "DPI"          "100 x 100"
    Option in the xorg.conf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

where is that located exactly?
    hugmenot

Beans
    Hidden!

System → Preferences → Appearance → Fonts → Details → "Resolution" spinner field

God, this sounds like giving instructions for Windows dialogs.

Beans

I've just posted a detailed "how-to" on increasing the font size on TVs. I think it might help you.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640389