Page 51 of 255 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    There isn't a 32 and 64bit version of Wine, they are both exactly the same (content wise anyway).
    I just realized, I am a 32 bit dinosaur

Hence why I don't know much about 64 bit and Wine. Have no real reason to research it. I just thought that I had read something about a 32 bit version being tweaked to work better on 64 bit systems.

Sorry for the confusion if I'm way off.

@hoistyler
    Could work, but definitely only with pretty low video settings. Try it out and please post your results. Remember that Wine is still in active development, and there are no guarantees. It may or may not deliver to your expectations.

@Spensawr
    I see some of the icons are corrupt, so please try this fix: http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine#Corrupt_panel_icons

I have a Nvidia card myself, but to the best of my knowledge, the proprietary ATI drivers are supposed to have better 3d game support. Try enabling them in the restricted drivers module in Feisty or use this howto: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

If those two methods fail you, then there is a third way of installing these drivers, it's called the Envy script, by Alberto Milone, but it is a bit controversial, as it is not a official project. It may be an easy option if the two others options don't work out for you: http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Personally I like Envy so much, I only use it. It has actually saved me a few times when manual tweaking and the restricted driver module have failed me. Envy hasn't failed me yet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In regards to my earlier post with the pictures, I just replaced my ATi card with an old Nvidia I had in a spare and the wow problem (among many other things) was fixed. I know who I'm giving my business to from now on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spensawr View Post
    I know who I'm giving my business to from now on.
    Money is democratic. I believe in money

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Money is democratic. I believe in money
    I believe money should be destroyed and it's concept forgotten.

Money serving as one of the main goals of existence in modern society holds us back as a species.
    Instead of working together most people work against each other for financial gain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Instead of working together most people work against each other for financial gain.
    Yes and No.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Greetings all!
    I installed according to the instructions in the tutorial and got all patches, but startup hangs trying to get download patch v2.1.0.6692. I tried changing the options to dnld while I play, but it didn't work. What now? Gameplay is so bad even with Cedega I've nearly given up. Help?

Beans

WoW patch failure

I've downloaded a 16 kb WoW patch, only to enter the game for it to say "Patch failed to apply"
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: WoW patch failure

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon1230 View Post
    I've downloaded a 16 kb WoW patch, only to enter the game for it to say "Patch failed to apply"
    Mine says that as well. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay so just open WoW.exe instead of the launcher.

Beans

I've got an interesting issue happening....

When I attempt to run WoW, either from the Launcher or command line, X Windows is restarted, and WoW does not start.

I followed the guide link from here, and have successfully installed WoW on my desktop, this is happening on a laptop - Toshiba M65.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by nomad00; June 16th, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: WoW patch failure

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon1230 View Post
    Yeah, that same thing happened to me. It said that whenever I tried to log in, so I ended up running the WoW repair utility and that fixed it. If you do that and then avoid using the launcher, you should be fine.

Page 51 of 255 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast