Page 156 of 255 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Checked out the system76 webpage and saw that you can order a new pangolin with either a Intel or Nvidia card. Which one do you hava? Nvidia works far better for 3D in general in Linux. Intel just don't make as dependable Linux drivers as they make Win drivers.
    Ya I know, I debated this but within the budget my work allowed I would have had to fork out the $200 or so more for the nvidia. I also just happened to be in a low $ not gaming state so just forwent it. At this point I would like a better card and my next lappy will have a better card, so hopefully I can manage more/all under linux that I need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Text glitches out in game

hey, i'm having a funky problem where the game starts up just fine but once i'm in-game, after a variable period of the time, the text disappears and just glitches everywhere all over the screen. i took some screenshots and will attach those. i have an ati x800 256mb video card and i'm in ubuntu 8.04 running the 2.6.24-16 kernel. aiglx works fine, sometimes i can play wow for a while without the text glitching out but its extremely annoying when it does as i have to restart wow and sometimes that doesn't fix the problem. i've tried searching the thread, and forum, and google and i'm not turning up anything for glitchy text =\ lol so maybe i'm wording it wrong? anyone else have this problem?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys? Lisa: They must have programmed it to eliminate the competition. Bart: You mean like Microsoft? Lisa: Exactly.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Text glitches out in game

Quote Originally Posted by willc0de4food View Post
    hey, i'm having a funky problem where the game starts up just fine but once i'm in-game, after a variable period of the time, the text disappears and just glitches everywhere all over the screen. i took some screenshots and will attach those. i have an ati x800 256mb video card and i'm in ubuntu 8.04 running the 2.6.24-16 kernel. aiglx works fine, sometimes i can play wow for a while without the text glitching out but its extremely annoying when it does as i have to restart wow and sometimes that doesn't fix the problem. i've tried searching the thread, and forum, and google and i'm not turning up anything for glitchy text =\ lol so maybe i'm wording it wrong? anyone else have this problem?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I have the same issue look at my post/screenshot here and you might get some help here too. Also do you only have it when you move indoors??

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=770939&page=2

Man ATi should support linux better

CAN SOMEBODY HELP PLS.

Beans

I'm getting this too... I feel like i've tried everything. I've been over and over this thread, nothing seems to be doing the trick.

graphics card is ATI x1950xtx if it helps...

Beans

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and so far am just loving it! I have a few questions regarding World of Warcraft, but please bear with me because I tend to be computer challenged I've posted in a couple places, because I wasn't quite sure where to post my question.

I'm using a System 76 Serval Performance laptop and I have World of Warcraft installed which is working just fine except for a couple minor kinks, unlike on my Windows XP computer.

1. My shift key doesn't work on certain commands, i.e. shift-click a quest to put it up on your screen, or shift-clicking someone's name in the chat
    window to see what class of player they are, their level, etc.

2. I can't use the Windows key to shrink down the game if I need to check out a website while playing. I've tried the ALT + TAB which 'will' shrink down the game, but the Ubuntu browser bars don't go away on the top and bottom, which covers important information I need in the game.

3. In the key bindings that assign certain keys to certain commands, it doesn't differentiate between the left and right mouse buttons, and the middle mouse wheel, where at home on Windows XP, they act as separate keys... i.e. I assign the left and right mouse buttons (simultaneously) to make my character move forward then use the middle mouse wheel for something entirely different. I can't do that on this new laptop with
    Ubuntu as it shows them all as one key... the middle mouse key.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i'm having trouble getting wow exe to work in hardy under wine.
    these are some things i have tryed.
    i tryred to run it from lancher.exe and it wont load the game after clicking play.
    then i tryed running wow.exe and it doesnt even boot!
    i have reinstalled wow and wine(correctly)and cannot get it to load at all!
    can anyone help me?
    (desktop)OC'd 3.9Ghz Sempron 140 unlocked to dual-core Athlon II, 150GB Hard Drive, 320GB Hard Drive, 3GB Ram, ATI HD3450 256mb GPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by nightelfhunter View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and so far am just loving it! I have a few questions regarding World of Warcraft, but please bear with me because I tend to be computer challenged I've posted in a couple places, because I wasn't quite sure where to post my question.

I'm using a System 76 Serval Performance laptop and I have World of Warcraft installed which is working just fine except for a couple minor kinks, unlike on my Windows XP computer.

1. My shift key doesn't work on certain commands, i.e. shift-click a quest to put it up on your screen, or shift-clicking someone's name in the chat
    window to see what class of player they are, their level, etc.

2. I can't use the Windows key to shrink down the game if I need to check out a website while playing. I've tried the ALT + TAB which 'will' shrink down the game, but the Ubuntu browser bars don't go away on the top and bottom, which covers important information I need in the game.

3. In the key bindings that assign certain keys to certain commands, it doesn't differentiate between the left and right mouse buttons, and the middle mouse wheel, where at home on Windows XP, they act as separate keys... i.e. I assign the left and right mouse buttons (simultaneously) to make my character move forward then use the middle mouse wheel for something entirely different. I can't do that on this new laptop with
    Ubuntu as it shows them all as one key... the middle mouse key.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    1: you probably have version 59 of wine, update to 60 and the shift click bug should be fixed!

2: the windows key wont work in linux, obviously you should run wow and other games in windowed mode, OR, you could go into winecfg -> graphics-> and check emulate virtual desktop, insert the desired resolution (the one you use in the game)

3: you might have to remap your mouse in the xorg.conf file, check out this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ghlight=(mouse)

hope this helped you =)
    Last edited by situz; April 29th, 2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typos
    There is no RL, only AFK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wolffangalchemist View Post
    i'm having trouble getting wow exe to work in hardy under wine.
    these are some things i have tryed.
    i tryred to run it from lancher.exe and it wont load the game after clicking play.
    then i tryed running wow.exe and it doesnt even boot!
    i have reinstalled wow and wine(correctly)and cannot get it to load at all!
    can anyone help me?
    I recommend you follow this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

good luck =)

edit: eh, noticed that guide is the same as this topic xD anyway, be more specific, what is you problem? what errors do you get when you run wow.exe from the terminal etc etc
    Last edited by situz; April 29th, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
    There is no RL, only AFK

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a little hack for people who are having ALT+TAB trouble. I found some of this info somewhere on the internet so I cannot take full credit.

First thing, download the newest Wine source and extract it somewhere. As of now the newest version is 0.9.60

open the file 'wine-0.9.60/dlls/winex11.drv/event.c' and find this section (search Abey)
    Code:
     /* Abey : 6-Oct-99. Check again if the focus out window is the
               Foreground window, because in most cases the messages sent
               above must have already changed the foreground window, in which
               case we don't have to change the foreground window to 0 */
            if (hwnd == GetForegroundWindow())
            {
                TRACE( "lost focus, setting fg to desktop\n" );
                SetForegroundWindow( GetDesktopWindow() );
           }
    And then comment out one line like so
    Code:
      if (hwnd == GetForegroundWindow())
            {
                TRACE( "lost focus, setting fg to desktop\n" );
              /*  SetForegroundWindow( GetDesktopWindow() ); */
            }
    Save the file. What this does is makes WoW think its never lost focus when you alt+tab. This may or may not cause some other wine programs to function incorrectly, your mileage may vary.

The next step is to compile and install.

Make sure you have all the deps you need:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get build-dep wine
    And the last step, run this from the 'wine-0.9.60' directory you extracted:
    Code:
    $ ./tools/wineinstall
    This made ALT+TAB work flawless for me in windowed mode and fullscreen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thisismalhotra View Post
    I have the same issue look at my post/screenshot here and you might get some help here too. Also do you only have it when you move indoors??

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=770939&page=2

Man ATi should support linux better

CAN SOMEBODY HELP PLS.
    yes, i only get the problem when i go indoors. it doesn't happen if i log when i'm indoors and then run around indoors, nor if i go from indoors -> outdoors. also, reloading the ui doesn't fix the problem whether i stay indoors or go outdoors.
    i tried replacing my dll's with the ones situz suggested and i also tried running the game the way the squig suggested... F* YES!
    was running wow in the background, restarted it a few times and my system hard locked. after rebooting & bringing firefox back up i figured i'd have to retype my reply but i didn't ^_^ it was still here thank god for advancements in software.. lol anyways.
    i tried running the game the way the squig suggested and it just doesn't work. so i dont know what to try next -_-

// on the wiki page, when it says
    If wow crashes each time your character moves from outdoors to indoors, even though the patch above was applied,...
    what patch is it referring to?

// weird.. i dont get the glitch when i go into the inn in westfall (O_o) also, you dont have to go into the inn to get rested xp? you can stand even a bit away from the stairs.. does yours glitch at that inn?
    Last edited by willc0de4food; May 1st, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys? Lisa: They must have programmed it to eliminate the competition. Bart: You mean like Microsoft? Lisa: Exactly.

Page 156 of 255 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206 ... LastLast