Page 1 of 255 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

HOWTO: WoW with Wine

This howto is for installing and playing World of Warcraft using Wine under Ubuntu.

The howto found in this post is just a short'n'simple version, intended to demonstrate the minimum amount of steps required to make WoW run. The complete howto, which will likely be more of a help to you, is found in the Ubuntu community documentation wiki:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

Short'n'simple HOWTO
    (only 8 steps)

1. Install Wine from here: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

2. Copy all of the files from all of the CD's to a directory on your hard drive. Just overwrite when prompted, and make sure to copy CD 1 last (you need a specific file from CD 1).

3. Open a terminal
    (also called a konsole, CLI, and command prompt) and do these commands inside to start the installation:
    Code:
    cd /<path-to-directory>/
    wine Installer.exe
    Replace <path-to-directory/> with the right path to the directory where you copied all the files.

4. Wait and click next when possible.

5. Do this command in a terminal, and just press ok to close the configuration utility that opens:
    Code:
    winecfg
    6. Now run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    gedit ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/wtf/Config.wtf
    Add these lines to the text file:
    Code:
    SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
    SET SoundBufferSize "150"
    SET gxApi "OpenGL"
    7. Save the file and exit.

8. You should be able to play WoW using the shortcut on your desktop, or by running this command:
    Code:
     wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe"

Reg tweak

This is a simple registry edit for Wine that either will either act positively or negatively on your graphics performance. It may fix graphical glitches, increase framerate, stop the game from crashing, or it will create glitches, decrease the performance, and even make the game crash. You should give it a try to see what is does for you, as you may always easily remove it again, if it acts negatively for you.

Open a terminal window, type regedit and press enter. This will start the Wine equivalent of the windows registry editor. If you are familiar with using the registry editor under windows then this is pretty much the same.

Notice: the guide below is case sensitive!

1. Find this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\
    2. Highlight the wine folder in the left hand pane by clicking left on it. The icon should change to an open folder
    3. Right-click on the wine folder and select [NEW][KEY]
    4. Replace the text New Key #1 with OpenGL
    5. Right-click in the right hand pane and select [NEW] then [String Value]
    6. Replace New Value #1 with DisabledExtensions
    7. Then double click anywhere on the line, a dialog box will open.
    8. In the value field type GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

How To Get Help
    If this short guide doesn't work right away for you, then please look over the complete howto first:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

If, after following every step in the complete howto, you are still having troubles running the game, I would like to invite you to look over this comprehensive troubleshooting article, for common issues, that arise from following this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wo...roubleshooting

Also, in case the troubleshooting section doesn't solve your issue, you are welcome to post questions in this tread, but in order for other people to be able to effectively help you, you need to be very descriptive about your issue, and post some useful info about your system specs etc. Please write up some details about your
    • CPU
    • RAM
    • Graphics card make and model
    • Graphics card driver version number
    • Wine version number

And please be polite to people. We are all just jolly amateurs, like yourself.

Help Others
    As the complete howto is a community help file, YOU are free to edit and improve it in any way YOU feel - and please do so, so that others may benefit from what you figured out
    Last edited by Sammi; July 8th, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Linked out for the Wine installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Can you fix the script lines that you quote because obviously
    #!/bin/sh X :3 -ac & # Launches a new X session on display 3 cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft" # Goto WoW dir sleep 2 # Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds DISPLAY=:3 /usr/X11R6/bin/wine WoW.exe -opengl # Launches WoW
    won't work without line breaks in there somewhere.
    Linux Knowledge >> << My Head

Beans

Sorry. That was a small error in my copy/paste'ing from other treads

Specifically this one:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303509

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Cool deal Sammi, and thanks for taking on the update of this important document (for those of us who play).

I'm worried about the upcoming WoW patch though. Can you tell me if our WoW installs through Wine will download and apply the patches or will we have to do something else to get that done? I suppose it may (or may not) break Wine .26 as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk View Post
    Cool deal Sammi, and thanks for taking on the update of this important document (for those of us who play).

I'm worried about the upcoming WoW patch though. Can you tell me if our WoW installs through Wine will download and apply the patches or will we have to do something else to get that done? I suppose it may (or may not) break Wine .26 as well.
    Only a beta tester of the expansion can really answer that for now.

Good news is that several testers have reported that they have gotten that expansion to work in Wine, according to the WOW's entry on appdb.winehq.org: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=6013

Beans

Oh and anyone is ofcourse free to alter and improve the Howto. I's public property, and I would appreciate any help and suggestions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Hey Sammi, I created a script to launch wow but when I run it I have a couple of concerns. First, WoW launches fine but when I exit I'm sitting on an ugly gray screen (the X screen 3) and I have to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get it to go away. When it does go away I get to my second concern: The terminal window is running tons and tons of empty lines (carriage returns).

I know I can run the script from a launcher without opening a terminal window but will I be losing any CPU cycles due to whatever is causing all these carriage returns?

How can I get the script to shut down X 3 when I'm done playing?

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

X :3 -ac &   # Launches a new X session on display 3 
    nvidia-settings --load-config-only
    cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/
    sleep 2   # Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds 
    DISPLAY=:3 wine WoW.exe -opengl &  # Launches WoW
    I added the nvidia-settings line from an older how-to. Not sure what, if anything, it still does. Evidently it re-enables some graphics options that might not otherwise be enabled.

Oh and I had to use SUDO X in the first line because when I tried "X :3 -ac &" it reported: X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting so I did this:
    In Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
    1. Select "Anyone" for who has permission to start the X server.
    2. Enter nice value ( 0 recommended, this is irrevelent to permissions, but you will be prompted.)
    (from another thread)
    That fixed the sudo problem.
    Last edited by chadk; December 6th, 2006 at 02:06 AM.

Beans

I actually never tested the script, just copy/pasted
    But now I tried it out, just for you

In my experience that script will set up a new x client on F9, where only WOW will run. After you have quit WOW you can just change back to F7.
    To sum up: You don't have to ctlr-alt-backspace, but rather you have to ctrl-alt-F7

I'm also adding "sudo" to the script, because of you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    I actually never tested the script, just copy/pasted
    But now I tried it out, just for you

In my experience that script will set up a new x client on F9, where only WOW will run. After you have quit WOW you can just change back to F7.
    To sum up: You don't have to ctlr-alt-backspace, but rather you have to ctrl-alt-F7

I'm also adding "sudo" to the script, because of you
    Actually, don't add the sudo.. I need to remove it from mine. The fix was running the reconfigure and allowing everyone to run X. The Sudo never really worked out for me anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

okay I'm getting a little irritated. My fps drops to about 8 after a few minutes of playing. Before that, I'm getting 30+fps. I did everything the guide said to, and I dunno what to do now.

Page 1 of 255 1231151101 ... LastLast