Page 3 of 255 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

When I start up WoW (downloaded my ATI Drivers yesterday) its really messed up. Nothing has Skinns there is no boxes and it seems like _everything_ is distorted.

edit: I rember seeing that screen yesterday (but it was not distorted at all.) I think I may have installed my drivers wrong or something. I installed my Nvidia FX5200 earlier but I am unsure how to uninstall my current graphics drivers.

Edit2: I have isolated the problem, sort of. It is either what I did in the config.wtf or the registry I edited.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mitchbones; December 9th, 2006 at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbones View Post
    When I start up WoW (downloaded my ATI Drivers yesterday) its really messed up. Nothing has Skinns there is no boxes and it seems like _everything_ is distorted.

edit: I rember seeing that screen yesterday (but it was not distorted at all.) I think I may have installed my drivers wrong or something. I installed my Nvidia FX5200 earlier but I am unsure how to uninstall my current graphics drivers.
    Nvidia? You seem to be really confused about you grafics driver, because I thought you said you were using ATI
    Personally I have a Nvidia grafics card, and I feel very lucky. ATI cards are not very stable in Linux, because ATI are very slow with driver develotment

Anyway if you are trying to install ATI drivers then I would recomend you try this guide first:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

then:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ighlight=fglrx

Automatix Bleeder also has an option for installing ATI drivers automaticly, but it may not be stable:
    http://www.getautomatix.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ah I didn't clarify correctly. I have two graphics cards sitting in my room (well one is installed). A Radeon 9550 and a Nvidia FX5200. I think it was most likely the registry edit that I did that caused all the problems

Thanks for your help though, Sammi!
    Last edited by mitchbones; December 9th, 2006 at 09:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

i cant figure out how to run the install.exe file.. (complete newb to wine and no one yet have given a sign to help me)
    | AMD64 +3700 2,2ghz | geforce 7900gtx | 2048mb ddr ram | Sata 80gb(boot) 2x ide 120gb |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mixmaster87 View Post
    i cant figure out how to run the install.exe file.. (complete newb to wine and no one yet have given a sign to help me)
    I changed the howto for you. Tried to elaborated on the section where you are having a problem

See:
    Installing WoW
    1. Copy all of the files from all of the CD's to a directory on your hard drive (overwrite when prompted).
    2. Then start the installation by opening a terminal and doing these commands:
    cd /<path-to-directory>/
    wine Installer.exe
    • Replace <path-to-directory/> with the right path to the directory where you copied all the files.
    Alternatively you can just copy the entire World of Warcraft folder from a Windows installation.
    Last edited by Sammi; December 22nd, 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Beans

*bump*

Please edit and improve the howto as you see fit. There should still be things left to explain, but I have pretty much added all the info to it that I have on the subject.

Beans

Hi, new to Linux/Ubuntu. Version 6.06

I installed wine just a few minutes ago, copied all of the WoW files from the CD and put them in a directory. typed in that directory.., Wine Installer.exe ...

the installer shows up, the buttons on screen are too small to read, but i hit the biggest one and what do you know, its brings up the EULA. I "read" the Eula, (it was garbled..) wait a second, Hit Agree
    and pop up comes up with

Unrecognized key "options". (AttributeParser:****)

and goes back to the first screen. when i try the other buttons similar popups occur and i cannot continue with installation.

any advice?

Edit:
    Perhaps I installed wine incorrectly..

http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...6/Packages.gz: 404 Not Found
    http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...6/Packages.gz: 404 Not Found
    http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...ce/Sources.gz: 404 Not Found
    http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...ce/Sources.gz: 404 Not Found
    Last edited by Fimbs; January 3rd, 2007 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Add possibly essential information

Beans

Have you done tweak number one in the howto?

There are also some dll files you can try to add to your Wine installation. Two of these are mentioned in the troubleshoting section in this howto:
    • To get WOW to run, you may need to get two .dll files from a windows installation or here:
    and place them in .wine/drive_c/windows/system. You will, however, need a Windows license to use these files.
    I found this in the howto on appdb.winehw.org:
    Problem #3 - When installing WoW, clicking on the "Install World of Warcraft" button
    causes the Wow installer to crash

To fix the Wow installer from crashing when you click on the "Install World of Warcraft" button
    just download these two dlls (riched20.dll and riched32.dll) into
    /home/[your login]/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

You will also need to add riched20 and riched32 to the dll overide section on the Libraries tab in wincfg.
    Select native then builtin for each of these. You may only need to have these overides in place while you
    install the game. Although I have both these files in my system32 folder I do not have any overides set for
    playing the game. [Nick]
    riched20.dll
    riched32.dll
    Don't worry too much about the garbled eula in the installation, it's a common issue, which normally can be disregarded. The showstopper bug must be related to something else.

If you enabled a Ubuntu Wine repository, like the howto specified, then Wine should have installed fine. You can have a look at your Wine installation in Synaptic. Just search for Wine, and it should turn up. See if there are any errors or if it's not the latest version (0.9.28).

I think that the plf repositories that are reporting as "404 not found" have been discontiniued, and therefor you should disregard that error, and maybe even disable that repository in Synaptic.

Beans

Yes, i had done tweak #1 prior to installing, while i was still copying the files from the CDs. I tried to install it and failed so i deleated the key for OpenGL in my registry and tried again and failed.
    The Tweak is currently in use.
    I believe I properly moved the DLLs into my wine directory, though im unsure how i can check.

Still cannot install WoW.
    Last edited by Fimbs; January 3rd, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

Beans

Then I can offer you an alternative solution, which is mentioned in the howto: Install WoW in Windows and then just copy the whole WoW folder to your Ubuntu partition afterwards.

Page 3 of 255 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast