Page 248 of 255 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

I've upgraded a laptop and a pc both from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 and wine from 1.2.3. to wine 1.5.12. Both ran WoW previously, but wouldn't upgrade. The laptop upgraded and works WoW perfectly - the PC is a disaster!! (I know different spec, but both use Nvidia graphics)

Anyway - I have clean installed Ubuntu 12.04 and WINE 1.5.12 - I copied WoW across and it ran - but barely. The sound lags and the screen takes ages to render graphics. If I change form -nothing happens for around 20seconds. The situation seems to get mildly better after a few minutes but is unusable. I tried a clean install of WoW - Same result.

My system: AMD Phenom Black II, 4GB ram, Nvidia GTS450 (Drivers: 295.40) I have added the OpenGL and Sound options into the WTF file.

When running Wow it reports 50fps, but also massive latency on top of the slow slow rendering. The laptop using the same router is perfect - so it isnt a network issue (?) but might be something network related as i also get disconnected from battle.net after abit

WINE is using pulseaudio - I don't know if this is the issue

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Darkclawtwolf -

I used the synaptic package manager to unsitall wine 1.5 and reinstall 4.whatever. WoW is working better now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Crossbow, sorry didn't get back to you sooner. Yes Synaptic is usually the easier way to roll back and lock package versions. After upgrading and running into problems you'll get to be more cautious about trying out the latest and greatest when your existing install "just works".

I backup my wow game directory to external hard drive so I never need to reinstall & download the game if I mess up my wine or entire distro install.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    Darkclawtwolf -

I used the synaptic package manager to unsitall wine 1.5 and reinstall 4.whatever. WoW is working better now.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

I'm currently running WoW with mild success. I have:

Ubuntu 12.04
    Wine 1.4
    Intel i7 with ivybridge graphics

The three problems I'm currently experiencing are:

Problem #1 Graphics glitches in areas with fog (I think), that look like this:

Other places look fine. I've tried messing with all display settings, with no success.

Problem #2: intermittent crashes, such as:

ERROR #134 (0x85100086) Fatal condition!

Program: Z:\home\rgt\Games\wow\drive_c\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow-64.exe
    ProcessID: 86

Failed to read file from local.

Details: (Streaming Status: Enabled / Mfil Rdy / Data Rdy, Build: 16057)
    [111] err=0 text=SFileReadFile - Character\NightElf\Male\NightElfMaleSkin00_08.blp - Data\texture.MPQ
    The .MPQ file changes each time, but the error is otherwise identical. These occur anywhere between 5 minutes and an hour of play.

Problem #3: I can't seem to get the game to run with opengl - at least, the in game menu won't show it as an option. I've tried updating the config.wtf, as well as launching the game with -opengl, but neither work. I've read that opengl works better, however I have been getting decent frame rates (20-60), when issue #1 isn't occurring.

Any advice on any of the problems? Much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ryant1986; October 8th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Beans

update - upgrading wine to latest dev release (1.5.14) and ubuntu to latest dev release (12.10) fixed problems!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryant1986 View Post
    update - upgrading wine to latest dev release (1.5.14) and ubuntu to latest dev release (12.10) fixed problems!
    Thank you!

Beans

Anyone seen updated builds against the rgl.patch file? https://launchpad.net/~aigarius/+arc...rius-winepulse seems very outdated. And I can't use the LD_PRELOAD since I use nvidia optimus, and LD_PRELOAD conflicts with virtualgl.

Beans

Today my computer crashed and I was unable to restore, so I downloaded Ubuntu and Wine.
    Now I am trying to download the installer from WOW website but when I go to download it into windows using wine, it just leads me to save it on start.exe and I do not know what to do.
    I am NOT literate with Ubuntu or Wine, and I am COMPLETELY lost as to how to even download this. Anyone care to help me?

Beans

Usually after installing the latest version of wine from winehq's ppa, i just download the installer for Wow, from battle.net, then in a terminal change to the directory the install file is and i put in the command: wine Wowinstall.exe <--- or whatever the file name is. It just starts the wow splash screen that has me install..i just install as default, which usually goes into /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Blizzard/World of Warcraft. After the install it just pops up with the patcher window and puts a wow icon on your desktop so you can always double click on it to go back to it.

It all works for me.

Hope that helped

-Kreppnar-

Lubuntu 12.10

Beans

Hi all,

Is the add-on Recount installable on Ubuntu? If yes, how to go about it?

Cheers

Page 248 of 255 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250 ... LastLast