Page 7 of 255 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Chopyp OpenGL... I'd say to get other drivers, or to check if the ones you have are the correct ones... try measuring with glxgears or any other game/app that uses OpenGL and see how many FPS you get. Changing xorg.conf to bit depth 16/24 could help too. You could also try copying from a Windows partition *shrug*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DARKGuy View Post
    Chopyp OpenGL... I'd say to get other drivers, or to check if the ones you have are the correct ones... try measuring with glxgears or any other game/app that uses OpenGL and see how many FPS you get. Changing xorg.conf to bit depth 16/24 could help too. You could also try copying from a Windows partition *shrug*

The drivers are one thing that concern me....since the only driver for my card is a vista driver, no xp, no linux...

Quote Originally Posted by Elvish Legion View Post
    The drivers are one thing that concern me....since the only driver for my card is a vista driver, no xp, no linux...
    Alright, for the first part..... Vista driver running under linux? WTF!!! I mean, that's the most WTF thing I've ever heard o_o holy..... well..... first of all, get by all means a correct driver for your video card (btw which one do you have?). I dunno about ATI though, all I have and know is nVIDIA but, a correct driver install should -so- fix your problems globally, and maybe increase performance too. In my GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP8X 128Mb in my 933Mhz w/256Mb RAM and nVIDIA drivers 9631 I get about 12-16 fps everywhere (with addons and inside towns and outside, outside maybe more... reachs to 20) and 30-45 inside buildings. All with the OpenGL thing and lowest detail settings, no shaders or anything, but it's very playable to say at least. So I'm guessing you have a PC more powerful than mine, so you should be able to get even more FPS with the correct drivers. Generally, OpenGL under WINE runs better than Direct3D.

Beans

does anyone know how to switch out of the game while allowing the game to keep running, so you can check a website, or if the boss walks around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenrgv View Post
    does anyone know how to switch out of the game while allowing the game to keep running, so you can check a website, or if the boss walks around the corner
    I had a hotkey in XFCE long time ago with control+alt+right and control+alt+left (or it was in Gnome? not sure) to switch between workspaces. I moved WoW to the 3rd or 4th and just pressed the keys and was in another workspace. Used to do that for multitasking between msn and wow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alright, for the first part..... Vista driver running under linux? WTF!!! I mean, that's the most WTF thing I've ever heard o_o holy..... well..... first of all, get by all means a correct driver for your video card (btw which one do you have?). I dunno about ATI though, all I have and know is nVIDIA but, a correct driver install should -so- fix your problems globally, and maybe increase performance too. In my GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP8X 128Mb in my 933Mhz w/256Mb RAM and nVIDIA drivers 9631 I get about 12-16 fps everywhere (with addons and inside towns and outside, outside maybe more... reachs to 20) and 30-45 inside buildings. All with the OpenGL thing and lowest detail settings, no shaders or anything, but it's very playable to say at least. So I'm guessing you have a PC more powerful than mine, so you should be able to get even more FPS with the correct drivers. Generally, OpenGL under WINE runs better than Direct3D.

No I use the generic fglrx driver, the only driver on atis site is for vista

I have the ATI Xpress 1100.

I'm currently saving the cash to build a desktop with an nvidia card.

Man, you -so- need a correct driver for your card. A generic one won't give you very good results with 3D. Search some info about what's the best driver you can use, that would fix all your problems x)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have been converted! I've always "messed around" with Linux. Trying to learn what I can, getting frustrated and putting linux down for a bit, then coming back. I've always kept windoz box as my primary because of gaming. I got Ubuntu Dapper 6.0.6 and Wine 0.9.29 installed on my Dell laptop yesterday and followed alot of this tutorial/thread and got WoW working in linux! On to my only problem atm:

I am of course running WoW in OpenGL on an NVidia card and it runs like a CHAMP. As good is not better in long gaming sessions then my windoz box. I've read lots of threads saying that trying to change in game settings crashes the game. So I tryed it and it does indeed. So, I load WoW with the -d3d flag and it does indeed still start up, but the graphics are all funkafied, well at least teh ones that render. I can see buttons and the login box but I dont get any of the game graphics, making it impossible to change any settings because I can not see teh settings tabs when I hit ESC etc. Majority of the screen is black.

Any advice on how to possibly get enough graphics when in D3D to change WoW settings when I need to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Man, you -so- need a correct driver for your card. A generic one won't give you very good results with 3D. Search some info about what's the best driver you can use, that would fix all your problems x)
    Thats the thing, ATI hasnt put out one yet

..Edit: I may try installing the driver directly from ATI to see if the latest ones smooth my opengl issues/.
    Last edited by Elvish Legion; January 18th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, so I got WoW working. I have graphics (a little laggy, but functional), I have sound (also a little laggy, but I haven't tried tweaking the sound buffer yet). My problem is, it will run for a while, then all of a sudden crash. Won't give any explanation or warning, just all of a sudden, it exits WoW. This seems to be happening after about 15-20 minutes of playing. Any suggestions?

Page 7 of 255 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast