Page 12 of 255 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

With ATI graphics cards it's hit and miss

At least I'm at loss with most errors that ATI users get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Well I am reposting my weird problem, see if anyone can help me. I can run WOW no problem in edgy, no framerate problems, nothing wrong there but only for a short amount of time. Here is some problems I am getting...

1. The game crashes my system whenever I play it more than 30 minutes (it is always a random amount time but just crashes and I have to reboot the machine) and d3d doesn't work but opengl works great except for the damn crashes I got a mobility radeon 9700 with latest drivers.

2. The Video Options don't work (if I change settings the game shuts off and reverts back to original settings), no biggie here I just want my first problem to go away.

Beans

I have no idea about no. 1, but no. 2 is a common problem. The workaround is to launch the game in d3d mode, which should work just well enough so you can change the settings. Then launch it in opengl mode again as usual.

Beans

Wow Installer Issues

Hm. I seem to have a unique problem. The installer won't let me hotswap the CDs, so short of literally forcing the drive open I'm not able to progress past installing the contents of disc 1, which naturally sucks. :/

I also tried to start the installation from another CD, and here the system allowed me to swap disks. It would seem then that the problem is with the window showing the installation progress.

Trying to manually unmount the CD produces an error saying the drive is "busy" when it clearly isn't, which seems to be the root of the problem.

I'm using Wine v0.9.30 here. Seeing as this looks like a very uncommon problem, I may be out of luck here. Help please, I really don't want to have to fork out for Windows if I don't need to. D:

Beans

Use the trial version, which is the full game prepatched, from the blizzard torrentlike downloader:
    http://www.wow-europe.com/shared/wow...downloader.exe (Europe Version)
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downl...downloader.exe (US Version)

Beans

I'm aware that's an option, but it's not really feasible on this poor connection: I'm lucky if I get 5KB/s out of it. Besides, I didn't go out and buy the game today only to have to download it anyway. D:

As much as anything else, I'm worried that this error hints at a more serious problem that has gone unnoticed - a particular DVD I have has a hard time when I want to copy files from it (it's a backup disc ) and the copied files invariably end up corrupt.

I assumed that there was simply something wrong with the DVD but perhaps it's the player itself. :/

Thanks for reminding me of that other option, but I want to make sure this gets fixed, because it's such an odd problem.

EDIT: Aha! From Cedega's website: (oh the irony )

# Some users may have problems switching cd's during the install. Simply copy the contents of all cd's to a single location on the hard drive and install from there.
    I'm going to try this and I'll report back on whether it worked or not.
    Last edited by Velotix; February 5th, 2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Horrible typos and update.

Beans

Duh, why didn't I say that first

It's what our Ubuntu community WoW/Wine wiki recommends anyway: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

Beans

I had WoW running extremely well and all of a sudden it's horrible. Here's what I've tried so far.

I removed Beryl just in case.
    I was messing with XMMS and Amarok 3d visualizations so I removed them.

After that I figured that since I had done very little to this installation I'd reload. Well for some reason WoW is still running horribly. I'm getting anywhere from 20-70 fps without AA. When it's around 70 it's ok until you swing the camera at which point it stutters.

I'm not sure what's up since WoW was running smoothly before with Beryl on and down right fast with Beryl disabled. I was really hoping to find a simple solution since the network latency in Ubuntu is easily 1/2 of what I get in Windows.

Any ideas?

Specs:
    Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3.26Ghz
    GeForce 7800GT
    2GB 800Mhz DDR2
    Edgy 6.10
    Last edited by bankie; February 6th, 2007 at 05:54 AM.

Beans

Reinstall your graphics drivers. Try both the stable and the beta Nvidia drivers.

Try the Envy script version 8.1 for the installation: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

You should take very good care to backup your xorg.conf before you begin. Messing with graphics card drivers is always messy
    Last edited by Sammi; February 6th, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

in regards to the almost mandatory tweak, i had difficulty getting regedit to rename the key once i created it, so i made a .reg file that can be imported into the registry to add the key. i know, it is normally a simple task, but just in case anyone else has that problem, i attached it to this thread--http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2117060#post2117060

cheers.
    Toshiba Satellite A205-s4457, Intel Centrino Core Duo t5300, 1gb ram

Page 12 of 255 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast