Page 63 of 255 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Thats the weekend project

Beans

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Im getting no sound in WoW. I checked and even when WoW is open I can hear sounds in other apps (i.e. watching movies, other games, etc). So I'm thinking this is either a Wine problem or just a WoW problem. In either case I'd like to troubleshoot it

Im sure that my soundcard probably has something to do with it since on a fresh install i always have to set it as the default soundcard otherwise I can't hear sound at all. Either that or I'm dumb and there is some hidden volume control that I can't find.

Anyways if anyone can help me figure it out I'd be forever indebted to them.

EDIT: Forgot to add... i've tried all the steps to adress sound issuses in the howto.
    Last edited by cjules86; August 3rd, 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nvm, it's working now.
    Last edited by Enigmas; August 8th, 2007 at 02:26 AM.

Beans

7.04 system.
    Wine 0.9.42.
    Freshly installed WoW + BC.

When I first installed WoW, the keyboard was working just fine. I was able to put in my uname/pwd and that kicked off the patch downloads.
    After all the patches have been installed, the keyboard no longer works in WoW. I can't input the pwd.

If I run from terminal, the keyboard input goes straight into terminal.
    If I setup the custom app launcher, I guess keyboard input goes into dev/null. It sure isn't going to WoW.

Any suggestions?
    I'm using a split Belkin keyboard if that makes any difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kzintee View Post
    7.04 system.
    Wine 0.9.42.
    Freshly installed WoW + BC.

When I first installed WoW, the keyboard was working just fine. I was able to put in my uname/pwd and that kicked off the patch downloads.
    After all the patches have been installed, the keyboard no longer works in WoW. I can't input the pwd.

If I run from terminal, the keyboard input goes straight into terminal.
    If I setup the custom app launcher, I guess keyboard input goes into dev/null. It sure isn't going to WoW.

Any suggestions?
    I'm using a split Belkin keyboard if that makes any difference.
    Sounds like a focus issue, you may consider running WoW in a seperate X session where nothing else could possibly have focus.

I experienced this issue in Kubunt where the KDE desktop refused to give focus to the WINE application window, as well as the terminal focus you spoke of. >.<

I believe that there is a link to the script for seperate X sessions in the WINE thread stickied at the top of this forum. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497332)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also in 0.9.42, Wine Desktop stopped working for me with WoW, so make sure you're not using that. I got the same problem as you describe above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I just upgraded to a Nvidia 8800GTS video card and I'm having a strange graphical problem in WoW. Before I had a 6800 GT and I didn't have that problem.

I took two screenshots:

Screenshot with the Terrain Distance setting set to High

Screenshot with the Terrain Distance setting set to Low

What it seems to be doing is that with distance, the objects (trees, bridges, rocks, etc) are fading in color as they are further away from me, but the terrain itself doesn't fade like it used to.

I played with the various in-game Video settings, I couldn't find a solution.

I'm using Wine 0.9.42 and the latest Nvidia drivers as installed from Envy (100.14.11). I am running WoW in opengl mode.

*UPDATE*
    Ok, if I uncheck Enable All Shader Effects in the in-game Video settings, and then I close and restart the game, then the problem describe above is gone.

Is there an incompatibility problem between Nvidia 8800GTS 100.14.11, Wine 0.9.42 and World of Warcraft? The game doesn't look as nice without the shaders, also it's kind of a waste to have a nice videocard like this and not be able to play the game with all the settings turned on... :-/
    Last edited by Electricboots; August 10th, 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: update about the situation

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Which NVIDIA driver are you using?

The 8xxx series cards aren't well supported by the Restricted driver in the repos (to my knowledge), and you should probably be using a driver in the 100 series for best results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Which NVIDIA driver are you using?

The 8xxx series cards aren't well supported by the Restricted driver in the repos (to my knowledge), and you should probably be using a driver in the 100 series for best results.
    Drivers are 100.14.11 installed using Envy.

Yeah, I tried first the drivers from the Restricted Drivers Manager, but with those, X would not start at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just a quick update: the problem persists with new Wine 0.9.43.

I'm still scouring the Web for a solution, good luck to me!

Page 63 of 255 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast