Page 6 of 255 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Well I just got the game installed, went fine...

But now when I load it up on the login screen its horribly choppy....

Xpress ATI Radeon 1100

| grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes

Wine verison 0.9.29

Running opengl mode, haven't tried d3d mode, or installing the dlls yet, would they help?

Just tested d3d, runs A LOT better....maybe I should play it as that?
    Last edited by Elvish Legion; January 15th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

What dlls?

In my setting, nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 128Mb, 256Mb RAM, 933Mhz, it goes damn faster in OpenGL than in D3D (though you can change video settings in D3D... trying to do that in OpenGL just crashes wow).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone else having problems with WoW freezeing upon entering world?

Did you try moving all your AddOns out of the way? it solved the problems for me, then I started adding the addons back a few at a time. It is said that some AddOns cause conflicts when loading (they crashed my comp twice until I remove them from the AddOns folder temporarly).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DARKGuy View Post
    Did you try moving all your AddOns out of the way? it solved the problems for me, then I started adding the addons back a few at a time. It is said that some AddOns cause conflicts when loading (they crashed my comp twice until I remove them from the AddOns folder temporarly).
    Dont' have any addons I really think its a kernel issue....the whole system freezes in Cedega and Wine

Did you check your drivers? freed up all memory? have the swap partition enabled? I had long and hard issues with apps hanging because the swap partition wasn't enabled >.<. Did you try with the xorg.conf set at 24-bit depth too? dunno, some suggestions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do I check my swap?

I seem to remember having this problem before and I updated a kernel header (or didn't update it)...

It seems I have the error 132...

Aw crap!... if I'm not mistaken, you have to post in the Blizz forums for getting the 132 error fixed (unless you play in private servers, then post in the server's forum) since that devil is server-side ...

About the swap, I could check it using "top" in the terminal. If you see something like:

Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 142196k cached

Then that means you don't have it activated. BUT if you see something like:

Swap: 747012k total, 9868k used, 737144k free, 142220k cached

Then you're alright and have nothing to worry about.

How to activate swap again? it's tricky... the method I used was using an Ubuntu LiveCD (or anything that has gparted in it), booting with it, running "sudo gparted" in a terminal and then carefully right-clicking the partition marked as Linux-swap (which in my case was a Logical partition instead of a primary one, thus why swap didn't work) and deleting it. Then reallocating that free space into a primary partition, and formatting it as Linux-swap.

After that, I booted without the LiveCD, ran gparted again the same way, and then right-clicked the Swap partition and choose "swapon". That should activate the swap for you.

However, be careful when using gparted (or any partition program!) and double check the drive and the selections you're making! I don't want you to screw up your main partition with a wrong click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DARKGuy View Post
    Aw crap!... if I'm not mistaken, you have to post in the Blizz forums for getting the 132 error fixed (unless you play in private servers, then post in the server's forum) since that devil is server-side ...

About the swap, I could check it using "top" in the terminal. If you see something like:

Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 142196k cached

Then that means you don't have it activated. BUT if you see something like:

Swap: 747012k total, 9868k used, 737144k free, 142220k cached

Then you're alright and have nothing to worry about.

How to activate swap again? it's tricky... the method I used was using an Ubuntu LiveCD (or anything that has gparted in it), booting with it, running "sudo gparted" in a terminal and then carefully right-clicking the partition marked as Linux-swap (which in my case was a Logical partition instead of a primary one, thus why swap didn't work) and deleting it. Then reallocating that free space into a primary partition, and formatting it as Linux-swap.

After that, I booted without the LiveCD, ran gparted again the same way, and then right-clicked the Swap partition and choose "swapon". That should activate the swap for you.

However, be careful when using gparted (or any partition program!) and double check the drive and the selections you're making! I don't want you to screw up your main partition with a wrong click

Swap is active, going to try a fresh WoW install, if I can get wine running on 64bit, super, if not I'll use cedega

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is there any reason that OpenGL mode would be choppy? Maybe a misconfiguration?

Edit: Would copying an install from windows maybe help with the issues I seem to be having?
    Last edited by Elvish Legion; January 16th, 2007 at 09:15 AM.

Page 6 of 255 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast