Page 52 of 255 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: WoW patch failure

Okay, I've tried it in all compatability modes in Wine and some wouldn't load it, the ones that did still gave really low FPS. I've tried running it with OSS and ALSA drivers but I don't know if they'd make a difference at all. I've tried running with all sound disabled and it was still the same so I don't think it has anything to do with that.
    I've tried everything I can think of, there was a Wine patch today I hoped that might help but it didn't.

There must be some way to fix this
    You don't need a reason to help people

Ubuntu User #15665
    Linux user #450019

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Hi im new to linux but Ive been working on getting WOW to work with wine and through many trials and errors i have managed to get it to work pretty well. I cannot run it in opengl just wont start, but it does run in d3d. However it is only a small window in the top left corner. I cannot seem to get the ubuntu screen resolution anything other than 1680x1050 and that same res is also set in WOW but yet it is still a small non-resizable window. Also the regular cursor stays visible in game and the WOW cursor lags just miliseconds behind it, no big deal on the lag. Any help? Worked just fine when it was on Win XP.

Feisty 7.04
    AMD 3200+ set at 2.0ghz
    512 Ram
    Nvidia Gforce 4 440 Go w/64mb ram (yes this is a laptop)

Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpaniard View Post
    Hi im new to linux but Ive been working on getting WOW to work with wine and through many trials and errors i have managed to get it to work pretty well. I cannot run it in opengl just wont start, but it does run in d3d. However it is only a small window in the top left corner. I cannot seem to get the ubuntu screen resolution anything other than 1680x1050 and that same res is also set in WOW but yet it is still a small non-resizable window. Also the regular cursor stays visible in game and the WOW cursor lags just miliseconds behind it, no big deal on the lag. Any help? Worked just fine when it was on Win XP.

Feisty 7.04
    AMD 3200+ set at 2.0ghz
    512 Ram
    Nvidia Gforce 4 440 Go w/64mb ram (yes this is a laptop)

Thanks!!
    I had a similar problem with OpenGL after upgrading to Wine 0.9.39 (apparently not the best idea). After reading the WineHQ WoW page and a thread here, I gathered that OpenGL support has been broken since Wine 0.9.2something (edit: actually, after some more reading, it appears that OpenGL supposedly works in 0.9.35, but either way it doesn't work for me), but d3d still works. I guess the solution is to use an older version. . . the universe package, for example. If you want to change the resolution, you can add a line like

Code:
    SET gxResolution "1024x768"
    to your Config.wtf, replacing the resolution with whatever you want to run in. That really doesn't solve your window problem, though. I'm really not sure on that one.
    Last edited by Vague; June 19th, 2007 at 10:08 AM.

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Hello,

I have two questions regarding the blizzard downloader. First of all, sometimes, when I'm trying to access the "Advanced" menu, it crashes. Anyone else with the same problem?

Also, I'm trying to use trickle to restrict my upload rates, but from what I noticed that won't affect the Blizzard Downloader. Any ideas? (For example, I did a:
    trickle -u 20 wine WoW-enGB-Installer-downloader.exe, and I'm still getting uploads of 40kb/s.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anonii View Post
    ...I'm trying to use trickle to restrict my upload rates, but from what I noticed that won't affect the Blizzard Downloader. Any ideas? (For example, I did a:
    trickle -u 20 wine WoW-enGB-Installer-downloader.exe, and I'm still getting uploads of 40kb/s.
    Just grab a torrent from here, as they are the same ones that the blizzard -wow-downloader uses anyway, and use your favorite torrent application that supports speed limitation to download it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi just some more info. When WoW is running it doesn't crash out but these messages are running through the terminal constantly while playing

Code:
     fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=16384 < primary_done=33516)
    fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=16384 < primary_done=33516)
    Anyone know if this could be anything to do with my problem? I can't figure out what it means.
    Last edited by Nehvrook; June 19th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
    You don't need a reason to help people

Ubuntu User #15665
    Linux user #450019

Beans

Red face Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

I have a really strange problem when I exit WoW, and it's no real problem for me but I'm wondering what this is, because I'm blown away... I don't even know if this is the right place to post it, but its Linux and WoW related. I have a pc where I do have a dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu. After installing Ubuntu I wished to try WoW in Ubuntu, so I took my old WoW installation and configured it to work under Ubuntu, and it worked beautifully . But when I go back to Windows (and uses my windows config for WoW) WoW starts normally, but when I exit WoW my computer seems to crash and displays a mix of Windows and Ubuntu background, scary... I've got a screen shot here (the red stuff is my Windows background, and the orange stuff is clearly my Ubuntu background with the shut down menu) : http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarho/IMG_1652.JPG.

Does anyone have any idea of what this is and is causing this?

PS: I just want to point out that I'm starting Windows from the boot chooser.
    Last edited by ivarho; June 19th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.

Beans

is it possible to start wow on a different xserver...i heard that it can reduce fps but i can't figure out how to do it...

EDIT:i meant increase fps

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Just grab a torrent from here, as they are the same ones that the blizzard -wow-downloader uses anyway, and use your favorite torrent application that supports speed limitation to download it.

I can do that, indeed, but in that case I will lose the HTTP download that blizzard downloader offers and provides me with 50 stable kb/s.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nealmohanp View Post
    is it possible to start wow on a different xserver...i heard that it can reduce fps but i can't figure out how to do it...

EDIT:i meant increase fps
    Use tweak nr. 2 from this tread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303509

Page 52 of 255 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast