Page 48 of 255 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Ok, here's a weird one. WoW runs excellent, and has on my system for over a year now. Recently however, while wow is running, and when I exit the game, my desktop is cranked to its max resolution and I have to manually set it back down. I typically run my desktop at 1440x900 which is what I run WoW at. So it just seems odd that it would go up, or change at all, since it shouldn't have to....

Anyway, just a minor annoyance really. Just wondering if anyone has run across this or knows a workaround.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tlink View Post
    Ok, here's a weird one. WoW runs excellent, and has on my system for over a year now. Recently however, while wow is running, and when I exit the game, my desktop is cranked to its max resolution and I have to manually set it back down. I typically run my desktop at 1440x900 which is what I run WoW at. So it just seems odd that it would go up, or change at all, since it shouldn't have to....

Anyway, just a minor annoyance really. Just wondering if anyone has run across this or knows a workaround.
    I had a similar problem with my resolution being changed - you could try to run WoW in a virtual desktop (which worked for me and I don't mind the extra border) by changing your winecfg. Also, since it sounds like ubuntu doing it's 'default to best possible spec' thing, if you never use a higher resolution you could remove those better resolutions from your xorg.conf file (back it up first!) and that would probably do it too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hmmm ok, moving the default OS level to XP from 98 fixed it I think. Not sure how it got switched to 98 to begin with... anyway, looks like that solved it.

*EDIT* nevermind, it didn't.... looks like its more an issue with wine than wow, just happens when I run wow. (shrug)
    Last edited by tlink; June 5th, 2007 at 11:21 PM.

Beans

Hmmm ok, moving the default OS level to XP from 98 fixed it I think. Not sure how it got switched to 98 to begin with... anyway, looks like that solved it.

*EDIT* nevermind, it didn't.... looks like its more an issue with wine than wow, just happens when I run wow. (shrug)
    It's very easy to manually edit one line in wtf/Config.wtf, that makes WoW use a specific resolution. In your case you want it to look like this:
    Code:
    SET gxResolution "1440x900"
    @EvilBob
    Try out a different value than "2".

Make sure you have tried the proprietary ATI drivers (fglrx):
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/
    http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Try changing the windows version configured in winecfg.

Try installing a older version of Wine: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've always noticed WoW has a nasty habit of trying to change the desktop resolution 2-3 times when I started it.

For no rational reason. >.<

Beans

I think there might be something wrong with the way my driver is set up. As i posted earlier, something make the terrain load wrong, making it pop up whenever it gets in range instead of fading in. After looking at some images of others playing in wine i noticed how much smoother the edges was.

When i run it (in both 3d3 and opengl), the edges are really rough, and it's also very "flickery" when im moving

my nvidia settings is set up with 16x anisotropic, 16x antialiasing and Texture Sharpening here.. but changing it makes little different, if any.

I'm posting an image of the start screen. It actually looks more smooth here that it really is because its been scaled down.

http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?i...owstartwq4.png

The reason i think it might be the driver is because today all of a sudden when i started wow the edges was smooth, just like in windows. so i though hurray! but i had to close it to get back in opengl.. but off course when i tried again it was back to normal i tried changing it back to 3d3 butthe smoothness was gone. I have no idea what happened.

What i really want to know is how others out there has experience the 8800 GPU in wow/wine.
    If no one else has these problems, it's either something wrong with the card it self, or something on my system or driver.

this is getting so frustrating, hehe.. hopeing someone out there has some clues on whats this could be.

Beans

@boojah
    Exactly what is supposed to be wrong with the picture? It looks fine to me...
    Last edited by Sammi; June 6th, 2007 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    @boojah
    Exactly what is supposed to be wrong with picture? It looks fine to me...
    Lack an anti-aliasing.

Wine doesn't allow for Apps to use Anti-Aliasing but it does work if it's forced on at driver level (which you said you've done anyway) in which case it has to be a driver bug else it would be working in Wine. Try using some Linux games and see if it works in those.
    Wine FAQ and Newbie Guide - http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    Please read This Page on how to install Wine.

RetroTracks.net - Classic Game Music Tracks

Beans

Hi there,

I'm new to Ubuntu and *nix in general (limited experience with Red Hat ages ago), and I've been having trouble getting WoW to work. I've been able to install both the base game and the expansion, but whenever I try to load the game, it gives absolutely terrible performance (shuttering sound, fps is about 1 during the intro cinematics). Not only that, when I get to the login screen (where you have to read and agree to the EULA the during the first load/after a patch), I can't do anything! The wow-cursor won't be under my control - it will just stay there, while my regular cursor in GNOME and X will be active (yet I will be unable to interact with WoW; unable to move the scroll bar on the license, or use the agree/disagree buttons).

I'm not really sure what could be causing this problem, and I've done everything that was mentioned in the complete howto.

I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    It's very easy to manually edit one line in wtf/Config.wtf, that makes WoW use a specific resolution. In your case you want it to look like this:
    Code:
    SET gxResolution "1440x900"
    Actually, wow runs at the correct resolution, just after I start wow, my desktop resolution flies through the roof. Makes no sense, before I start wow, desktop resolution is at 1440x900. I start wow. Wow runs at 1440x900. With wow running I switch desktops with crtl+alt+rightarrow, and my desktop is now running at 1680x1050. Switch back to wow and its still running at 1440x900. Exit wow, and desktop stays at 1680x1050 and I have to manually set it back down to 1440x900.

Page 48 of 255 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast