Page 255 of 255 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255
Results 2,541 to 2,548 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Please delete only this useless post
    Last edited by b_ice99; February 10th, 2014 at 01:13 AM.

Beans

The above link is for blizzard's forums, they will not support linux, do they allow discussion of linux support on their site considering that?
    regardless: can we discuss on this thread if my issue is addressed? I just noticed that I can't post on the blizzard forums. I was banned for obscene language--back in 2007, looks like somebody really didn't like whatever I had to say cuz I'm still banned and can't post on that thread lol
    Last edited by b_ice99; February 10th, 2014 at 01:14 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post

If, after following every step in the complete howto, you are still having troubles running the game, I would like to invite you to look over this comprehensive troubleshooting article, for common issues, that arise from following this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wo...roubleshooting

Also, in case the troubleshooting section doesn't solve your issue, you are welcome to post questions in this tread, but in order for other people to be able to effectively help you, you need to be very descriptive about your issue, and post some useful info about your system specs etc. Please write up some details about your
    • CPU
    • RAM
    • Graphics card make and model
    • Graphics card driver version number
    • Wine version number

Hola, so happy I found this thread!!!! I was ready to go back to windows or dual boot just to play wow, and I don't want anything microsoft ever touching my tower again. I pry the windows key off every new keyboard I get the first day I use it :grin: seems to be catching on with some locals, maybe I'll start a trend.
    Anyway I've been struggling with wow for the duration of using linux, through fedora and ubuntu alike and was considering another change but then found this lovely thread!
    The info requested about my rig:
    Cpu AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor × 8
    RAM 4.0 GB 2x2Gig Dual Channel 1866 MhZ DDR3
    Graphics card ATI Radeon HD6770
    Driver is Proprietary: 13.101-130523a (from catalyst control center: Information - Software - Driver Packaging Version)
    Wine version is 1.7.11
    Running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit (because I had issues with 64 bit running 32 bit games, and my painfully low ram which I hope isn't to blame)

I have the most current version of wow installed, but getting it to run well is next to impossible.
    When I run it in console I get two errors involving ntdll which wasn't something I could find in the guide as a common issue; I did however try the regedit fix and haven't really seen any difference.
    When I quit I always get some sort of error, it tends to vary but it doesn't appear to quit gracefully with the output.
    I also have random sound issues, but am not sure if they can be fixed because I couldn't change options in winecfg's audio settings beyond pulseaudio and default -- if I run the game for a few hours or use voice chat I usually get garbled game sounds afterwards, and am forced to delete the .wine folder from my home folder as well as do a reboot before it's fixed.
    My MAIN issue: frame rate. I am using the Open GL api in fullscreen mode, which disables all the shader options saying my graphics card isn't compatible under the options of wow. I also can't set ground clutter to ultra for the same reason, giving the error I need an SSAO compatible video card over those options in game.
    I basically am running on minimum graphics now, with the one exception being view distance and terrain detail being set to Good or High depending on how it's performing or what I'm doing in game.
    My fps when I log in is great, usually 70-80 for about 30 seconds of animations in the world or until I move when it sharply drops to 11-15 at best. I've seen it hold steady at 1 during an lfr--during which I was asked why I couldn't play my class lol
    Anyway what can I do? I paid good money for my video card it's semi new to me, and I really don't want to buy an nvidia card to fix it but... damn it I will, I used to love them.
    Another issue is general 'freezes' or skipping of the client entirely it locks up for about 200ms (and drops framerate to 2 for a moment) EVERY TIME I change provinces on any given continent, sometimes when I phase within the same provinces zones during a quest or something.
    Also sometimes wow gives a message about a process or thread overlapping with another one; is this because I am using a multicore cpu?

Any help appreciated, or new troubleshooting I haven't tried or found on google yet. Plan to upgrade with an additional 8G of ram in the near future so I'll eventually have 12G dual channel 1866 MhZ DDR3 2x4G and 2x2G
    I swear in wolk I could run a flawless 80fps in windows xp (before microsoft got desperate) with my dual core intel back in the day on an nvidia 8600 gts... in the words of all your base: 'WHAT HAPPEN?'

Console Output:
    World of Warcraft$ wine wow.exe --opengl
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x1521000 0 0x193fee4 4
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193ed00,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193eb38,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193f018,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193efe0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193ee18,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193efe0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x193ee18,0x00000000), stub!
    err:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken Unhandled Token Information class 28!
    fixme:advapi:BuildSecurityDescriptorW ((nil),(nil),1,0x193fa5c,0,(nil),0x150a78,0x193fa5 4,0x193faa8) stub!
    err:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken Unhandled Token Information class 28!
    fixme:advapi:BuildSecurityDescriptorW ((nil),(nil),1,0x193fa58,0,(nil),0x150a78,0x193fa5 0,0x193faa4) stub!
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
    fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
    fixme:thread:__hook_pthread_create most thread attributes ignored!
    fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000003e
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixmeole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
    fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_QueryInterface interface {00000126-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
    wine client error:3e: write: Bad file descriptor
    /World of Warcraft$

Beans

Hi
    So I just installed wine using sudo apt-get install wine. Worked fine. ran winecfg.
    I following the steps provided here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft to install wow but I get an unexpected error when running the installer.
    I downloaded: World-of-Warcraft-Setup-enUS.exe and ran it. I get a Battle.net login screen, and then I get a pop up saying the application encountered an unexpected error. And it stops.
    Please let me know what information you need to help resolve this. I haven't found a log showing errors about this.

Beans

ok
    I found this:

but how do I fix it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pierre5 View Post
    ok
    I get a Battle.net login screen, and then I get a pop up saying the application encountered an unexpected error.

I found this:

but how do I fix it?
    You can likely ignore most of the 'fixme:' messages from wine. Unless they have 'err' in there, you'll likely get seamless operation.
    The problem is likely one I encoutered myself.
    Do you use a 64 bit cpu?
    If you do, the launcher will, by default, launch the 64 bit client. The 64 bit client will not work with wine under ubuntu to the best of my newbie knowledge.

Two possible fixes:
    Manually run wow from your desktop with a shortcut linking to the 32 bit client wow.exe
    Edit the options within the launcher, there is one regarding launching the 64 bit client (or the 32 bit client) that allows you to prefer NOT to use the 64 bit client. That'll let you launch the game from the launcher after you try to authenticate.

Hope this helps.

Beans

thanks ice

I upgrade wine to 1.7 and it's working fine so far. I'm downloading the game now.

Page 255 of 255 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255