Page 235 of 255 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Here my other question.I got wow install with wine but when i go away from the desktop and when i come back the sceensaver come on and it freeze up on me why that?

Is there away to fix it?

i mean my wow freeze up ?
    Last edited by pythonsyntax; March 21st, 2011 at 02:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

wine version - 1.3.16 patched for FPS compiled and installed. (also tried stable version and beta)
    ATI driver version - 8.78.30 also tried 11.2
    Ubuntu 10.10-32bit pae
    PC- dual core

Wow launches fine and I am able to play it fine but sometimes cpu usage (both core) goes up to almost 100% and FPS drops to 0-2, then I have to force shutdown by holding power button.

I have tried everything I can found on wine website but problem still there.

I have opened my Laptop and cleaned all fan and heat sink as well because when game crashes CPU temp also spikes.
    But no luck with that as well.

please help to solve this problem so I can delete the Windows7.

Thank you
    Dell studio 1555, ATI radeon HD 4500, 4gb ram, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, Dual boot with Windows 7 - 64 bit and Ubuntu 10.10 - 32 bit.

Beans

CPU AMD Phenom II 1090 T
    RAM 4Gb Black Edition OCZ
    Graphics card make and model XFX HD 5770
    Graphics card driver version number ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver
    Wine version number wine 1.2.2

Ok, so now I have wow working, however, still the video settings will not go above low for most if not all, and the other are completely disabled and greyed out.

Any suggestions? Im glad that wow works but since I updated to the prop driver, even the ubuntu studio 10.10 boot up screen isnt the pretty ubuntu lettering with white and is now instead almost red/black screen with terminal white font with dots that cycle...what they heh?

Do I have to use windows to take advantage of this vid card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by srlake314 View Post
    Ok, so now I have wow working, however, still the video settings will not go above low for most if not all, and the other are completely disabled and greyed out.
    This is because Wow when running in opengl mode does not support those graphical features. In D3D mode they may work but you will take a performance hit, and often other graphical glitches appear.

Any suggestions? Im glad that wow works but since I updated to the prop driver, even the ubuntu studio 10.10 boot up screen isnt the pretty ubuntu lettering with white and is now instead almost red/black screen with terminal white font with dots that cycle...what they heh?
    It sounds like there is a problem with your plymouth splash screen configuration. Try searching for "ubuntu plymouth fix"

Do I have to use windows to take advantage of this vid card?
    Short Answer: Yes
    Long Answer: It depends.
    Since there is no DirectX 11 implementation on linux (yet), the graphics card cannot render DirectX 11 effects in linux that it could in windows. If your app doesn't use DirectX 11 you aren't missing as much. AMD Radeon linux drivers (both open source and proprietary) will always lag behind windows drivers, but they are in a constant state of improvement and development. So it really comes down to what 3D app you are running. Some applications could reach (if they haven't already) performance parity with windows equivalent.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Or - like in my case of running wow on a ~3 yo laptop with an nvidia graphics card - the performance on linux is actually a bit better than on windows (7). Weird, even though the settings are exactly the same, it still runs a bit smoother. One of these days I'll get a real gaming computer or work so much, I won't get to game anymore.

Beans

Hello,

I've got wine setup, and running wow on the latest Ubuntu (11.04). The login screen looks super slick

However, when I goto login it gives me a vague error (An error has occured).. And then provides a link:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=21014

Which basically tells me I cannot connect to the WoW/battle.net servers. I can run WoW fine on Windows (I'm dual booting) so I don't think the issue is my router, but its locally on my ubuntu OS.

I did some packet sniffing and found out I'm not receiving any packets from the battle.net server on port 1119, which I should be. So I added all the rules to iptables and it still won't accept any packets from that port. I then gave up on the rules and tried to temporarily disable iptables and flush the rules (iptables -F) but still no dice.

I also added in port forwarding rules as it stated in the link to my router (although I doubted that that would do anything).

Any thoughts on why I can't accept that traffic, or what else could be causing the problem?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kkomw View Post
    Hello,

I've got wine setup, and running wow on the latest Ubuntu (11.04). The login screen looks super slick

However, when I goto login it gives me a vague error (An error has occured).. And then provides a link:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=21014
    Thanks.
    I haven't experienced this problem before, but under the wine appdb there's a entry under "System-related issues" that might work.

If you are finding that WoW is installing correctly but at the final step of logging in you receive an error message "There was an error logging in..." try the fix below :-

The problem is related to DLL files needed for the process being unable to "communicate" with each other.

Add the following DLL override to your Libraries tab of Winecfg :-

wldap32.dll (Native)

This should solve the issue and login should not work.

Alternative :-

WoW may fail if you are running it from a windows partition. The WoW folder cannot be in an NTFS filesystem. Copy your WoW folder over to your Linux filesystem.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know the symptom of wow crashing after entering login data and pressing enter.

Before starting wow on ubuntu, you might want to do this in a terminal:
    Code:
     sudo su -
    to get to a root login shell.
    and then:
    Code:
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
    to turn off a certain kernel feature that makes wine unable to launch some parts of programs...

I have to do that every time I reboot - but then again I hardly ever do, so I never looked into automating it.

Beans

So, I just transferred my WoW install from my windows partition which I plan on deleting sooner or later, and everything works fine, except for some reason I have to reconfigure only some of my addons...strange, its usually all of them if something gets lost or corrupt. While I havent done anything serious (Except fly around Org with no lag and tons of people. ), the only issue im seeing so far is that I cant see chat bubbles....I see them but theyre empty in /s and /p chat. Im running in opengl, I have the registry tweak, before I was getting a painful 8fps.
    Dell XPS M1530
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS
    Intel core2duo 2.1GHz
    4 GB Ram.
    If you need anymore info just ask.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze08 View Post
    the only issue im seeing so far is that I cant see chat bubbles
    That doesn't make any sense, I bet it's an issue with your WoW install. Same for your addons.

Your problems have nothing to do with either Wine or Linux, I think.

Page 235 of 255 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast