Page 199 of 255 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    That does't make sense Wow.exe shouldn't exist.
    Wacky.

I thought it was odd it was there, I just don't remember ever seeing two "wow" executables before but figured I just missed it.

It's on my husband's Vista machine as well

To make things even more curious?
    My husbands Vista machine has *only* Wow.exe, not WoW.exe at all.

His Vista machine -
    -installed WoW from original (old) discs
    -installed Burning Crusade from discs
    -upgraded for hours on end
    -installed "Wrath of the Lich King" via the "Full Client Download" avaialbe from Blizzard

My Ubuntu machine-
    all the same as above, except I could never get the client downloader to work right, so I finally just copied all the updated files from his machine.

Maybe it's the Full Client Download (and possibly the Trial Client Download) that exchanges one .exe for another?

Anyone with and/or without Wrath of the Lich King notice this oddity?

-Laura

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Either they've renamed the WoW executable or he has. I'd be interested to see if they would make such a grave decision this late in the game's life.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Either they've renamed the WoW executable or he has. I'd be interested to see if they would make such a grave decision this late in the game's life.
    I installed it myself and didn't do any mucking about in the directory, just copied the files en masse.

Do you have Wrath of the Lich King and just the one WoW executable?

you know... I'm going to go rename the file myself and see how it works when launched alone, and when called up via Launcher.exe (Launcher.exe being what is used in my Wine menu.)

Oh and I edited my previous post to include "if you have both WoW.exe and Wow.exe....".

-zami

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay! Couple things.

1 - replacing Wow.exe with WoW.exe makes WoW.exe and Launcher.exe both work properly

2 - I think the rename is a flub from either
    A) the "Full Client Downloader"
    or
    B) the Blizzard repair tool

After the first run after using the Full Client Downloader to install Wrath of the Lich King, there was an error (I don't remember what it was) and the message I should run the repair tool. I did, and chose to "scan and fix" or some similar option.

After this is was all smooth sailing on the Vista machine. AND no more WoW.exe, just Wow.exe

I'll re-amend my previous post (again) in a bit here.

If anyone else has had this problem can you please share? I'm sure this can't be just me, and if it's an issue as wide spread as using the repair tool, or installing from the Blizzard Full Client Downloader, this would be good info to include in the HowTo.

-zami

Beans
    Hidden!

One last thing... on my husband's Vista machine, Launcher.exe and Wow.exe both work just fine (and there is no WoW.exe as I said.)

That makes ZERO sense to me.

Does windows or it's file system (NTFS for Vista?) disregard letter casing? If so, I'd guess this is a simple single charactor typo from Blizzard.

(Actually even then, wouldn't Wine emulate ignoring letter casing? Blar! Too confusing.)
    Wait - it *is* ignoring the letter casing, since the issue seems to be that one .exe was OLDER than the other - the names in the end were irrelevant (except in the case of Launcher.exe looking specifically for WoW.exe with the two big w's)

-zami
    Last edited by zami; April 17th, 2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: just adding to the confusion...

Beans

Angry Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

I'm a noob with ubuntu. So, please everyone bare with me.
    I just copied all the files from the WOW 4 cd's into a new file. But I'm stuck into the next step:

cd /<path-to-directory>/
    wine Installer.exe

the path that i use is: home/sansei/Documents/WOW: cd <home/sansei/Documents/WOW>/
    wine Installer.exe

However after I execute these i get wine: Permission denied, and I already did the wine part on the terminal.

What I am doing wrong?

Beans

OK here's my issue...
    I just installed WoW on my Ubuntu machine (of course it's Tuesday so I can't log on...) and it installed and patched fine.

However, for some reason, I get INSANELY slow response times when I go to load it. The launcher comes up fine, but the login screen doesn't show the dragon in the background, just a blue screen that changes shades of blue. It also takes a good 2-3 seconds to respond to any typing/clicking that I do. I've run WoW on this computer in Windows before, like 3 years ago.

Here are some specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
    RAM: 1 GB
    Graphics Card: ATI

Any ideas?

Beans

slight update: I just opened wow while running the System monitor, and it says I'm using 100% of the CPU when WoW is running. The thing I don't get is that it has a 2.8HGz while this laptop has 2.2 GHz and WoW run fine....

Beans

Any ideas? Now it lets me log on, but it gets all streaky and freezes...
    EDIT: I also just realized my CPU on this system is single core and my laptop has dual core, so forget that previous comment...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by horgabob View Post
    Any ideas? Now it lets me log on, but it gets all streaky and freezes...
    EDIT: I also just realized my CPU on this system is single core and my laptop has dual core, so forget that previous comment...
    You are running with -opengl flag right? like wine wow.exe -opengl ?
    Try to diasble pixel shader and vertex shader in winecfg->graphics.
    I remember having the same issue, but dont remember how i fixed it :/

Page 199 of 255 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249 ... LastLast