Page 153 of 255 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by shirteesdotnet View Post
    First off, I want to thank donnyblaze1 and his little "howto" right here...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1498

As previously stated earlier today (frantically) I posted how i couldnt get WoW to work and found out my vid card X3100 is the same as Donny's.

I could never edit my config file, because I was never able to get into the game itself. I ended up copying several items out of the WoW folder on my desktop ubuntu system (where WOW works) and pasting them into the laptop where WOW didnt work. I copied everything (folders included) except the big update files and the big data directory.

I then edited the config file with Donny's config settings. This bypassed the agreement screen (where the game was hanging on me) and got me into the login page.

Right now the game does work on a Dell Inspiron 1525n system with 4GB memory, but it is slow and lags. We have high speed connection as well.

I'll be looking for solutions to increase framerate now so the game is more enjoyable.
    Glade to see you've made a lot of progress in a few short hours!
    Did you do the OpenGL framerate tweak for Wine?

Open a terminal window, (konsole/terminal/x terminal etc..), type regedit and press enter. This will start the Wine equivalent of the windows registry editor. If you are familiar with using the registry editor under windows then this is pretty much the same.

1. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\
    2. Highlight the wine folder in the left hand pane by left clicking on it. The icon should change to an open folder.
    3. Click right on the wine folder and select [NEW] then [KEY].
    4. Replace the text "New Key #1" with OpenGL (CaSe Sensitive).
    5. Right click in the right hand pane and select [NEW] then [String Value].
    6. Replace "New Value #1" with "DisabledExtensions" (CaSe sensitive).
    7. Then double click anywhere on the line, a dialog box will open.
    8. In the value field type "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" (without the quotes).

Note: If you are unable to rename the newly created key "New Key #1" to "OpenGL" then expand the left hand pane of the regedit window using the vertical divider bar. You should now be able to change it. A known bug in Wine is causing this unwanted behavior.

You should see a significant performance gain.
    ]

Beans

ok, I've looked around for someone with a similar problem, but nothing, so if I may ask for some assistance: I try to start WoW and when the intro video plays, the sound and video is slow and choppy. when it gets to the login screen, it only loads and fire and ash in the background (the rest of the screen is black) then it adds the layer containing the login button, the name/pw boxes, and the realm info box (among the other buttons). At this point I'm barely able to use WoW, I have to place my mouse over the user name and after I click in the box I have to wait about 30-45 sec for the computer to recognize it needs to use the cursor. all in all entering my user name and pw takes about 5 min because I even have to wait for the program to realize I have the mouse over the login button. I don't think I have ever gotten to the character select page...what can I do?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drfarrin View Post
    ok, I've looked around for someone with a similar problem, but nothing, so if I may ask for some assistance: I try to start WoW and when the intro video plays, the sound and video is slow and choppy. when it gets to the login screen, it only loads and fire and ash in the background (the rest of the screen is black) then it adds the layer containing the login button, the name/pw boxes, and the realm info box (among the other buttons). At this point I'm barely able to use WoW, I have to place my mouse over the user name and after I click in the box I have to wait about 30-45 sec for the computer to recognize it needs to use the cursor. all in all entering my user name and pw takes about 5 min because I even have to wait for the program to realize I have the mouse over the login button. I don't think I have ever gotten to the character select page...what can I do?
    What video card are you running? What version of Wine? What version of Ubuntu?

For wine at command prompt: wine --version
    You can check About Ubuntu I believe for your version of Ubuntu
    And there are many ways you can find out what video card you have.

If you have an Intel card the post above this has a link to another w/in this same thread. It contains information to put in WoW's config.wtf file that gets you past all the 1st time run garbage of WoW as well as the EULA (since those load screens seem to be causing some difficulties for people).

Additionally a few posts up I linked to WoWWiki's troubleshooting section for Linux users. There you will find fixes for almost all of your problems, potential or otherwise. NOTE: Do not replace Wine DLLs (ever these days imho) with microsoft DLLs as suggested as an option on this page.

As always, best of luck and let us know what happens in a follow up.
    ]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance378 View Post
    What video card are you running? What version of Wine? What version of Ubuntu?

For wine at command prompt: wine --version
    You can check About Ubuntu I believe for your version of Ubuntu
    And there are many ways you can find out what video card you have.

If you have an Intel card the post above this has a link to another w/in this same thread. It contains information to put in WoW's config.wtf file that gets you past all the 1st time run garbage of WoW as well as the EULA (since those load screens seem to be causing some difficulties for people).

Additionally a few posts up I linked to WoWWiki's troubleshooting section for Linux users. There you will find fixes for almost all of your problems, potential or otherwise. NOTE: Do not replace Wine DLLs (ever these days imho) with microsoft DLLs as suggested as an option on this page.

As always, best of luck and let us know what happens in a follow up.
    I am using gutsy, with an ATI x300 on the most recent release of Wine (got 2 weeks ago). I'm using a dell inspiron 9300, if that has any bearing on the situation. should have thought of putting that in in the first post, my bad. I looked through several of those and so far nothing has helped. so far I'm averaging 1 frame per 9 seconds (not a typo)..... I know the laptop can run the game, I've done it when I used to use W!ndows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drfarrin View Post
    I am using gutsy, with an ATI x300 on the most recent release of Wine (got 2 weeks ago). I'm using a dell inspiron 9300, if that has any bearing on the situation. should have thought of putting that in in the first post, my bad. I looked through several of those and so far nothing has helped. so far I'm averaging 1 frame per 9 seconds (not a typo)..... I know the laptop can run the game, I've done it when I used to use W!ndows.
    So which tweaks?

As an ATI user in most cases you MUST USE the wine registry tweak.
    Additionally run the game in openGL mode.

Make sure you launch the game with: wow Wine -opengl

and in your Config.wtf have gxAPI "OpenGL" set

Let us know what happens.
    ]

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

2.4 Cripples performance

Hey folks-
    I am running the intel 945gm video card, on Hardy, with all the latest updates.
    Prior to patch 2.4, I was achieving ~20fps outdoors, and ~60fps indoors @ 1024x768, with all options turned down except texture resolution, which was set to high.

With patch 2.4, I am lucky to get 12fps outdoors, but I still get ~60fps indoors. Needless to say, this has made the game unplayable. I have tried every config.wtf tweak I could find, and in many different combinations. Even reducing the resolution to 800x600 does nothing.
    The openGL tweak doesn't work for me, as I get corrupted textures (and dreadfully poor performance) when using it.

Thanks for any input you all have

Beans

Okay, I haven't seen this anywhere so I'm really hoping someone can help me. I went and installed WINE and downloaded WoW from the website. Everything was successful, all the patches were installed, and I ran the game and immediately it looked like this:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...Screenshot.png

This is my Config.wtf:

Code:
    SET locale "enUS"
    SET hwDetect "0"
    SET gxColorBits "24"
    SET gxDepthBits "24"
    SET gxResolution "1280x768"
    SET gxRefresh "60"
    SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"
    SET gxFixLag "0"
    SET SmallCull "0.010000"
    SET DistCull "350.000000"
    SET MaxLights "1"
    SET frillDensity "8"
    SET farclip "237"
    SET particleDensity "0.600000"
    SET baseMip "1"
    SET accountName "jbwzrd213"
    SET movie "0"
    SET readTOS "1"
    SET readEULA "1"
    SET realmList "us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com"
    SET readScanning "-1"
    SET readContest "-1"
    SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "-1"
    SET coresDetected "1"
    SET videoOptionsVersion "1"
    SET showToolsUI "1"
    SET Sound_OutputDriverName "System Default"
    SET patchlist "us.version.worldofwarcraft.com"
    SET spellEffectLevel "0"
    SET realmName "Shandris"
    SET gameTip "9"
    SET gxApi "OpenGL"
    SET gxCursor "0"
    SET Gamma "1.000000"
    SET Sound_VoiceChatInputDriverName "System Default"
    SET Sound_VoiceChatOutputDriverName "System Default"
    SET groundEffectDist "70"
    SET cameraPitchMoveSpeed "90"
    SET cameraPitchSmoothSpeed "45"
    SET uiScale "1"
    SET ffxDeath "0"
    SET ffxGlow "0"
    SET DesktopGamma "1"
    SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
    SET SoundBufferSize "150"
    Please help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance378 View Post
    So which tweaks?

As an ATI user in most cases you MUST USE the wine registry tweak.
    Additionally run the game in openGL mode.

Make sure you launch the game with: wow Wine -opengl

and in your Config.wtf have gxAPI "OpenGL" set

Let us know what happens.
    what tweaks are you talking about?

all I have done is a registry edit and made sure the drivers for my ATI were installed. I am new to ubuntu, so I don't know how to open WOW with opengl.....

and since I finished updating WOW, every time I try to run it, it crashes and gives me "error 132" (could not read memory). so I am at a loss as to what to do...

p.s. I don't have a config.wtf file yet since I haven't been able to run the game yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mousekavich View Post
    That is a possibility, but it is kinda unlikely. If you think it's hidden just open up the folder and press "Control H" on your keyboard to display any hidden files.

If it still doesn't show up then that means that you didn't copy over the files properly. There are two ways to do this:

A: If you're using the 1 disk WOW install method then just try recopying all files and folders from the disk into your desktop directory

B: If you're using a multiple-disk WOW install method, then copy all the files from the first disk over. After that copy over the Installer_Tome file from all the other disks but NOTHING ELSE from these disks.

Then try to move on to step 4 and see if it works for you.
    Still can't find the Installer.exe but i went to the original page to install it and it said to do this... it is used to mount the disk with unhide.

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0/

when i put it in it didn't work and said...

mount: No medium found

if anyone could help me i would appreciate it, i have been trying to get it to work for at least two weeks now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pt.Shannon View Post
    Still can't find the Installer.exe but i went to the original page to install it and it said to do this... it is used to mount the disk with unhide.

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0/

when i put it in it didn't work and said...

mount: No medium found

if anyone could help me i would appreciate it, i have been trying to get it to work for at least two weeks now
    I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do but, if you're trying to get the game on Ubuntu, just download WINE (and update it) then go to the WoW website, log in, go to your account info page then download the game again. That's what I did;

Page 153 of 255 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast