Page 13 of 255 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

I have very low fps , why`s that ?

Beans

...need more info...

Graphich card model?
    Graphics card driver version?
    Amount of RAM?
    Wine version?
    Have you tried tweak no. 1?

Please post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep vendor
    glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL version'
    And let this command run for a while, say 30 seconds, then post the output:
    Code:
    glxgears -printfps

Beans

Sammi-

I apologize in advance if these things have been brought up earlier in this thread but I did not see these things on the official How-To, so I thought I would bring them up. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad z61m laptop with a core duo processor, 1gb of ram and an ATI x1400 radeon mobility graphics card and am quite new to the linux environment. After I figured out the fglrx installation process I installed Wine and WoW following your directions and had some success, but my whole system kept freezing as I entered the world following character selection. I thought it was a video driver problem and tried a number of things until I found a couple of threads in the transgaming.org forums that I thought might be useful additions to your how-to page as an ATI specific troubleshoot. First try installing an add-on called"ApplyToForehead", found here:

http://www.wowace.com/files/ApplyToF...ead-r19476.zip

which allows you to change your video settings in opengl without having the game crash. This add-on has really stabilized the performance of the game for me.

The other thing you can try, the thing I tried first, is to run dmesg in terminal, which revealed a series of fglrx errors relating to my the root kernel, and add a bit of code to my xorg.conf file under my ATI device configuration section if you see fglrx errors as well:

Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "off"
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    This seemed to deal with the error and WoW would now load without freezing the whole system, but the game was still very laggy and slow and I could not change video settings without having the game crash. So I found the post that listed the add-on for the game and installed that. The add-on seems to have a much stronger effect than the patch, and since the patch seems to limit the performance of my video card I removed the code patch and the game runs great (maybe better) with just the add-on. I have not had a chance to test it much without the code however. At any rate WoW is now running on my Ubuntu laptop as smoothly as it runs on my buddy's windows machine. I don't know how to post directly to the How-To wiki, if you tell me how to do that I will take the time to update the How-To for you. Thanks again for setting up a current How To and thanks for taking the time to help this NooB find his way around Ubuntu.
    Last edited by jameslov; February 7th, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Two quick things I forgot:

don't forget to turn on the Add-On in WoW at the character screen, even though it says out of date (check load out of date add-ons)

Once you get into the game and CAN change video settings, turn off the "Full-Screen Glow Effect" for significantly improved performance.

I will continue to play-test with the add-on and no code patch to make sure the patch is all that is needed and remove that section from my other post if this is the case so as not to confuse everyone. Stay Tuned

Cheers
    Last edited by jameslov; February 7th, 2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: update

Beans

After a bit of quick testing (I loaded closed loaded closed the game a couple of times) I got a system lockup again without the xorg.conf code patch, so it appears that you do need to implement that as well. I would edit one of my two earlier posts, but the option has disappeared for some reason (these are my first 3 posts). Will continue to test with the patch and add-on, have not yet had the combination lock up my system.

Beans

Hi, I'm also having some trouble with the error message "World of Warcraft was unable to start 3D acceleration" when I try to open it in OpenGL mode. When I open it in D3D, my UI renders, but everything else is blackscreened.

I copied over the folders from an existing Windows partition and have the latest NVidia drivers. However, when I do the glxinfo tests, direct rendering is not enabled. How do I fix this? Here's the copy of my glxinfo tests:

glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL version'
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.76)
    sbevill@sbevill-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep vendor
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    sbevill@sbevill-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: No
    sbevill@sbevill-desktop:~$ glxgears -printfps
    12419 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2474.050 FPS
    26054 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5208.909 FPS
    27035 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5405.090 FPS
    27132 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5412.406 FPS
    19967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3990.874 FPS
    16758 frames in 5.3 seconds = 3187.365 FPS
    16547 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3307.789 FPS
    19169 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3828.220 FPS
    23597 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4711.064 FPS
    27511 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5485.890 FPS
    28517 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5699.354 FPS
    28158 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5612.344 FPS

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans

What Nvidia card do you have and what version of Ubuntu do you run?

Beans

Ubuntu Edgy and NVidia GeForce 7600 GS (AGP slot)

Beans

Ok, I've really done it now.

I've always thought that I knew just enough about computers to get myself in trouble, but I've been lucky so far...well, not anymore. While trying to fix this graphics card situation, X has stopped working for me altogether (having to use my Windows partition to post this). I noticed that my direct rendering was saying no, and saw in the Wine tutorials that this meant the video card wasn't set up properly. So I revisited the Ubuntu help section on 3D graphic cards to try and fix the drivers. I made sure that I had the latest version of nvidia-glx, and I did. And then I tried to configure it using this command: sudo nvidia-glx-config enable.

That seemed to work and the terminal told me to restart X. I did, and got an error message saying that X failed to load. The log file had this to say"

(==) Logfile: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Feb 7 14:11:24 2007
    (==) Using config file:"/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (ww) NV: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
    (EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    X10: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X Server ":00" after 0 requests (0 known processes) with 0 events remaining
    When I did the nvidia-glx-config, I know it made a backup of my xorg.conf file... but how do I find that backup and restore to it? That's one way I can think of to fix this... but I'm lost at coming up with any other options.

Help please, if possible.

Beans

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that error message on my screen

You seem to be desperate, so I'm gonna recommend that you try Envy. It's a Nvidia and ATI driver installation script made by a user of this forum with the nick "tseliot" and real name "Alberto Milone".
    More info here: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

To install and run it you just have to do these three commands in the command prompt:
    Code:
    wget http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/envy_0.8.1-0ubuntu6_all.deb
    sudo apt-get install envy*
    envy
    maybe the last line needs to have "sudo" in front, but try it without first.

It hasn't let me down yet and I hope it will help you.

Page 13 of 255 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast